Thread: Healthy drinks ? Is everything bad for you ?

Healthy drinks ? Is everything bad for you ?

So I'm getting what I hope is a warning mid forties bit over weight not fit enough usual advice off doc , I don't smoke don't drink much these days high blood pressure , so what I want to change is what I drink and eat , looked on the net and it seems I can eat nuts berries and water there must be more , tried lemon and ginger tea out in my camper van this morning had to check the pack that it wasn't toilet cleaner , I've got used to camomile tea ( or camal piss tea as I've nicknamed it ) sugar pop is bad sugar free is now considered bad orange juice bad unless you water it down till it tastes crap , flavoured water bad , no coffee no tea , am I missing somthing , might start drinking out of puddles my dogs seem to like it better than the water at home , this health trip is going to be harder than I thought , any suggestions would be appreciated , thanks .

Re: Healthy drinks ? Is everything bad for you ?

I know what you mean. I cut out pretty much all drinks(personal choice) a few years back, there really isn't that much available that is healthy. But you must drink and whilst it's easy to say water, water, water, the reality is we are not solely going to drink just water.

I have as much water as i can, i actually enjoy it now far more than i used to, but i also drink Tesco's Fruit juice orange squash, not as many 'baddies' on the ingredient list and doesn't give me any headaches.
    I have about 2 cups of tea a day, and try to drink green tea with honey instead of sugar.

Food wise there's so much choice unless you need to avoid certain things for medical reasons these are some of the things i eat regularly when not scoffing on a double cheese pizza

Fish/Salmon/Tuna..
    Whole wheat bread
    Poached eggs/boiled eggs
    Sweet potato
    Tomatoes
    Onions
    Mushrooms
    Spinach
    Peppers
    Broccoli
    Peas
    Carrots
    Blueberries
    Bananas

I make my own soups in a big pot and store it, i really enjoy cooking so that helps me lol

Thanks for the reply , I think the hardest things for me to cut down will be cheese and chocolate , I'm like a giant mouse looking for cheese in the fridge at night , cheese on crackers , toast , chips , water with ryvita isn't going to be the same , is milk good or bad these days ? Cheers

I'm the same i want cheese on everything i'm sure there are cheeses that are 'more healthy' than others, i have really tried to cut down with it, but cutting it out completely? not sure that's possible lol

I don't have much milk and i don't know if milk is considered healthy or not, but some people i know choose to drink almond milk instead a quick googles says its better in terms of saturated fat ect not sure on pricing though!

"Almond milk is made from ground almonds and is lower in calories than other milks as long as it is unsweetened. It's also free of cholesterol, saturated fat, and is naturally lactose free. Even though almonds are a good source of protein, almond milk is not. Almond milk is also not a good source of calcium."

For a healthy cheese, how about Quark? It's an old German cheese, soft like cottage cheese but smooth, slightly sour and creamy. It's a probiotic cheese of a certain strain and been a big thing in Germany for many many years. It's also very healthy because it's high in protein and low in fat, calories & sugar.

You may find it a bit acidic at first though. I did but after a few portions this went away. Also, I found the Tesco own version to be extremely acidic, like I was eating battery acid! A branded version I eat now from Tesco is actually nice. It's very easy to combine it with peanut butter or anything else. Plus in Germany they bake with it and add it to breakfast in place of creams.

The healthy drinks myth. Basically, healthy drink products that manufacturers have made worse by adding sugar or adding other nasties all to keep the cost down and make them appear to be healthy. The same can be said for gluten free products in many of these places.

But you just have to shop around and be more picky, if your wallet will allow for it. Mine won't, I keep to strict budgets so the trade off is some healthy stuff.

A good healthy drunk is kefir. It's extremely high in probiotic bacteria, many more times that anything you can buy in a pill. Plus the pill products are a bit of an unknown due to how they are preserved whereas kefir is home brewed and as good as any brewed through history. In fact, home brewed kefir is by far better than anything any manufacturer can make since the minute the ship it, it will be losing it's healthy elements. Store bought kefir is a con trick, it's just companies jumping on the healthy eating bandwagon and people who haven't done their research getting suckered by it. You can brew kefir at a fraction of the cost you can buy it pre made.

I can give you some good like about milk and water kefirs if you want them. Dead easy to brew with very little equipment and you use the same culture for continuous brewing but can freeze it when you need to put it on hold for a while.

I like milk. I know many say it's bad but I like the calcium and protein from it. I also use powdered to add to cereals as it's much cheaper and far higher in protein content plus it's less in term of Whey compared to fresh so it's more a slow protein so good for when you are asleep as your body is running out of nutrients to do it's rebuilding work.

I would be happy to drink or even make nut milks too. They seem pretty easy to make.

Coconut milk is supposed to be good too.

Hello! I'm on a special diet due some digestive issues. I have been making my own flavored water that works great, and I also feel a difference in my joints, since I have a lot of joint pain. Not only do I feel a difference in my joints but, I also fee! More awake and energized as well. I'm on my second week of lemon, cucumber, and cilantro detox water. Its cheap and easy and also tastes pretty good. You can Google online of different veggies and fruits and what they're good for. All you have to do is chopp, add to water, let sit for about 30 minutes, and there you go! You can drink that all through the day and get the nutrients that you need plus more!! You won't believe how much better you will feel. I hope you at least try this and like I said, you can use fruits and veggies I will see if I can find a guide for you to look at, that tells you what each fruit and herb is good for

---------- Post added at 04:57 ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 ----------

Well, it won't let me add a link but, you can google detox fruit/veggie drink recipes or google reboot with Joe A-Z fruits and veggies and you should end up to the list that will tell you exactly what each fruit and veg are good for. Hope you try it out!! Have a good day!!

Thread Information