Thread: 25mg seroquel as and when needed?

25mg seroquel as and when needed?

Hi,my pysch has prescribed me 25mg seroquel to take as and when needed for anxiety, but will this work? Most posts seem to show that most of the folk take it every day? Also, i take 25mg the other night for first time and spent the next day in bed all day exhausted, this is so un like me. Obviously the seroquel was to blame, but if i am to take it as and when needed then surely
    this reaction wont lesson like they do when getting over the start up effects of any brain medication.
    I also take 20mg escitalopram, any advice would be appreciated

Re: 25mg seroquel as and when needed?

Some people find that it works - I found that they make me extremely sedated but still with anxiety - a horrible feeling. Was great for sleep though, couldn't fault it there.

Even if you take sedating drugs every day there is no guarantee that the sedation will wear off. I'm tapering off mirtazapine at the moment and it still makes me extremely sleeping around an hour after taking it. I'm coming off it because the appetite stimulating effects decided to stick around as well, which isn't good for my teeth or my waistline.

Even at 25 mg, taking a drug like Quetiapine at any other time than before bedtime is gonna be problematic. The sedative effect is gonna continue to be substantial, although it does lessen a bit after a couple of weeks. My advice would be to try taking it every night for at least a couple of weeks, and see if you can live with the effects or not. If you can't then try to find something else.
    Last edited by elkjaerrasmus; 29-04-16 at 18:24.

Quote Originally Posted by elkjaerrasmus View Post
    Even at 25 mg, taking a drug like Quetiapine at any other time than before bedtime is gonna be problematic. The sedative effect is gonna continue to be substantial, although it does lessen a bit after a couple of weeks. My advice would be to try taking it every night for at least a couple of weeks, and see if you can live with the effects or not. If you can't then try to find something else.
    Yes i am finding them very sedating, even when taken at night, the niext day can still be groggy and also emotionally numb. Not sure if they are suited for me.
    Do you take them? Did you see these effects pass?

Quote Originally Posted by shiznit76 View Post
    Yes i am finding them very sedating, even when taken at night, the niext day can still be groggy and also emotionally numb. Not sure if they are suited for me.
    Do you take them? Did you see these effects pass?
    I started taking them again last week after quitting Mirtazapine. Right now I don't feel that they make me feel particularly groggy, but they're not really helping me sleep that much either. I can feel that the Mirtazapine has had a negative effect on my health. Don't know if it's the blood pressure or blood sugar. My heart is definitely not happy, and taking Quetiapine is not helping.
    But I'm gonna talk with doctor about that later today.

Im not really taking Quetiapine because I'm super enthusiastic about it. It does make you more tired and more hungry, and if you tend to feel extra tired during the winter months (like I do) it's only gonna exacerbate that problem. I've just experienced three major problems when I try to quit taking it: insomnia, sexual dysfunction and losing control of my alcoholism.
    So after struggling to quit for more than a year now, I've decided that the benefits of taking it outweighs the cons.

what dose are you on? Does the sedative effect lessen as the dose increases as I see folk on 300mg + per day and wonder how they can do that when 25mg makes me so tired feeling

what dose are you on? Does the sedative effect lessen as the dose increases as I see folk on 300mg + per day and wonder how they can do that when 25mg makes me so tired feeling
    I'm at 25 mg now and I plan to stick with that. Increasing the dosage will only make things worse, and I would advise against making yourself too addicted to the stuff. 25 mg is enough for anxiety (remember, Quetiapine is really meant to be used on people who are manic or psychotic). From my experience, the side effects are worst in the start up fase. So if you feel that the effect you get from the drug is helpful it's best if you take it once every day. If you just take it every once in a while the side effects will be stronger. I enjoy the anti-anxiety effect I get from the drug. It helps to be more sociable, and relax at the end of the day so I can sleep. You say that it makes you feel "numb" and that you don't think it's for you, so perhaps the best choice for you is to try something else.
    Last edited by elkjaerrasmus; 05-05-16 at 11:47.

took 25mg this morning and feeling surprisingly awake and bit more relaxed tan have being. Do you take it every day? How long you been doing so?

took 25mg this morning and feeling surprisingly awake and bit more relaxed tan have being. Do you take it every day? How long you been doing so?
    I recently decided to start taking it on a daily basis again. I was off it for about a month from the middle of december to the middle of january, but it just didn't work for me...I was originally prescribed Chlorprothixene by my regular doctor for insomnia back in december 2013. I was then referred to a psychiatrist who gave me Quetiapine instead, because the Chlorprothixene was elevating my blood pressure. I was going through a personal crisis back then and was feeling pretty down. I kept asking my psychiatrist to up the dosage (didn't occur to him that I might need some proper antidepressants instead) and finally ended on 250 mg. This dosage was later cut in half when I was given an ADD diagnosis and started taking Methylphenidate (which I only took for a couple of months). How I got all the way back down to 25 mg, and finally managed to quit for a month, is a long story.
    Last edited by elkjaerrasmus; 06-05-16 at 06:20.

Hi guys
    I think as long as you stay under 100mg, it will be sedating and act as more of an anti anxiety pill.
    Tims

Thread Information