Thread: Anyone NOT gained weight on Miirt?!

Anyone NOT gained weight on Miirt?!

Hi guys,

I've been on 30mg Mirt (for anxiety and depression) for coming up six weeks.

It hasn't been a miracle cure at all yet but it's certainly helped significantly after terrible experiences on SSRIs.

However I simply can't stop eating! I've seen the other thread going about weight gain but was hoping for some more positive news.

I am a small person 163 cm, normally sit around 54-55 kg, and put on a whopping 5kg in 5 weeks!

The psychiatrist was alarmed by this and said the Mirt shouldn't have such a drastic effect.

Is this a start up that will settle down?

Re: Anyone NOT gained weight on Miirt?!

Glad to hear it's helping Shaz.

The weight gain issue is worse early on

But you have to discipline yourself I'm afraid on this front

Make sure you have easy access to salad, fruit, porridge oats and other things that will help you deal with cravings, but wont add much weight. Avoid having fatty junk food etc. to hand.

I also find fizzy water really useful (not Coke!) as it 'fills you up' but with zero calories.
    Diet drinks may be tempting, but they can fool the body into thinking that it's going to get calories when it wont - thus making hunger worse.

And you may have to get used to 'feeling hungry' but not acting on that message.

All easier said than done I know - otherwise you will continue to gain weight, and this itself can bring unhappiness.

Good luck!

So I didn't put weight on with Mirt - in fact I lost weight. However once I added Venlafaxine (also an appetite stimulant) into the mix I put on 2 stone in two months - eek! I'm quite tall so I can get away with it and I had lost a stone from being poorly so it's not quite as bad as it sounds but I am now trying to shift some of the extra. Lost a few pounds last week so it is possible.

I did say to the psych that I would rather be overweight than suicidal and I still stand by that!

Going to try the fizzy water trick Hanshan - thanks for that Hope you can find a way to keep the muchies at bay Shaz x

Thanks guys,

Good news is I haven't put on any more this past week. Bad news is I am still having bouts of pretty bad anxiety even after 6 weeks :(

Hey Shaz,

Sorry to hear this - 45mg (the UK max - NZ may be different) - may I'm afraid be needed to really get to grips with a difficult anxiety situation, in my experience. Either that, or add a specific anxiolytic, such as Pregabalin.

Others here as you may have read have had success with adding Venflaxazine to Mirt, though I myself don't have direct experience on this. One day at a time.

Best wishes,

Albert

Quote Originally Posted by Istherehope? View Post
    So I didn't put weight on with Mirt - in fact I lost weight. However once I added Venlafaxine (also an appetite stimulant) into the mix I put on 2 stone in two months - eek! I'm quite tall so I can get away with it and I had lost a stone from being poorly so it's not quite as bad as it sounds but I am now trying to shift some of the extra. Lost a few pounds last week so it is possible.

I did say to the psych that I would rather be overweight than suicidal and I still stand by that!

Going to try the fizzy water trick Hanshan - thanks for that Hope you can find a way to keep the muchies at bay Shaz x
    I didn't know Ven was an appetite stimulant. I wonder if my Duloxetine is as well? I sometimes feel like bingeing. I also struggle to lose much of anything on it unless I barely eat anything so I wonder what impact it has on my metabolic rate.

I gained weight when first taking mirtazapine, but my anxiety was still at high levels, and food did have a calming effect.

Since then, my anxiety has come right down (also taking pregabalin) and I've been able to lose weight, but it has required boring calorie counting and the like.

At the moment, I don't know where my weight is, as my scales are broken! I'm still a few notches down in my belt though, which is good.

Hi Terry - I think strictly speaking Ven is meant to be 'weight neutral' particularly at higher doses. However it is also linked to carbohydrate cravings and possible hormonal changes which might stimulate appetite. I'm guessing Duloxetine may be similar. One website told me 'Experts recommend physical activity and eating fewer high-calorie foods to manage your weight while taking venlafaxine or other antidepressants'...good job the experts know what to do

Like you I have to eat practically nothing in order to lose weight but the good news is I have lost half a stone on this tactic - but it's only because I am well enough mentally to exercise some extreme will power.

Shaz I'm really sorry that you're not feeling so good still. As you know I didn't do great on Mirt but am so much better with Ven and like you the psych thinks I probably can't tolerate any SSRIs. Do you see a psych again soon?

You've been through so much, I really hope you can find something that works.

Hey Is,

I'm not due to see the psychiatrist for another three weeks since I was feeling quite good when I saw her last week.

I've had such bad experiences with meds I'm not that keen on adding anything else as I kinda think the meds are what has led me into my current predicament.

The food cravings have lessened a little but this may be due to my anxiety increasing again since the weekend.

Albert

I'm a bit resistant to increasing the dose. Is 45 the dose for depression? I have found the 30mg had improved my mood but only had minimal effect on my anxiety which has improved but is still very up and down.

This current 'bad patch' isn't as bad as the last one so am holding onto that. At least I am managing to leave the house on my own which I was barely able to do before!

My experience is that 45mg will calm down a crazed oxen. (it will also sadly give you the appetite of an oxen).

If Preg isn't an option, the Mirt+Venfl might be worth looking at, but I have never had that so I don't know I'm afraid.

Thread Information