Thread: Stomach cramps - side effect or something else?

Stomach cramps - side effect or something else?

I was prescribed Mucodyne yesterday for a blocked ear following a bout of flu which I've had for a month. I took three of the pills yesterday. At 3.30 this morning, I woke with agonising stomach cramps that were coming in waves every 10 mins. Finally went to the toilet and had very bad diarrohea for about 15 mins. Had minor cramps after that and was feeling ok by 4.30, seemed to go as soon as it had come.

This morning I have eaten toast and apple juice, and my stomach just feels sore, but not enough to bother me.

Could this be a side effect of the medication or does it sound like food poisoning? I don't have any other symptoms.

Re: Stomach cramps - side effect or something else?

Carbocisteine (Mucodyne) is a mucolytic medicine which breaks down some of the chemical bonds in mucus. This makes the mucus less thick and sticky and thus easier to cough up.

Clearly, this medication can cause stomach cramping, diarrhea, vomiting and nausea.

It would not have been my choice to clear the eustachian tube affected, as it is normally reserved for patients with obstructive pulmonary disease, cystic fibrosis and similar processes wherein patients have gross inability to successfully clear mucous through coughing.

This is not to say that it is incorrect by any means, just a matter of preference. Typically, more commonly prescribed decongestant agents will suffice and they pose less side-effects. The more noted consideration with these decongestants is their use in the presence of hypertension, which can be aggrevated.

Thread Information