Thread: Ocd never stop. And i m feeding to my ocd ..Please advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ocd never stop. And i m feeding to my ocd ..Please advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi. Its being awhile even since i last posted.... but that doesnt meant that my ocd is under control. I am still struggle with ocd each day...sometimes are good while sometimes are bad. Or even worst.

I have been obssessed by very very minor hairline scratches on my watches... and this is really very terrible....whenever my watch is scratches..... i would post it online to sell it away and get another one...and each time i doing this i am losing a few hundreds.... i seriously think that i need to do something and stop all these nonsense....but i just couldnt stop myself from doing.....

Today i sold away a watch which i loved alot and have some minor scratches and got another same model which is totally new condition. And when i got the watch less than 10mins... i accidentally hit against my office chair armrest.... watch was not scratch but i found that there are some black plastic debris on my watch which i know its mostly from the chair arm rest... i take a look at my watch and its not damage at all but i keep having this instruvise thought that my watch is scratches in a way which cannot see from naked eye.... and also having the same urges of selling it off again... i really hope to stop all these losing money nonsense...

I have sold more than 5 watches in a month......i m really sick and tired of it... and the worst part is that now i couldnt even buy my favourite brand as its very famous for being a scratches magnet.... everytime i saw my fren wearing that model i feel sad... because of my ocd and i m avoiding it now....

Last time i am not so particular about minor scratches in watches as i feel that its parts and parcel of wearing a watch.... but now my ocd seems to become stronger...

So far... i manage to control most of my instrusive thoughts except for this....its make me feel lost and depressed. I just hope to have a watch that i like and settle down... i dont wanna keep feeding to my urges by selling and buying back....

Anybody here have the same issue and manage to get out of it??? I am more than happy to hear your advise...

Re: Ocd never stop. And i m feeding to my ocd ..Please advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any advise????

Re: Ocd never stop. And i m feeding to my ocd ..Please advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you considered therapy? This sounds like a classic compulsion from OCD however it can be overcome.

Some OCD sufferers find themselves ruminating because a certain room is not clean and in order and cannot stop obsessing over whether it is, whether something messed it up whether something will.

Practice not worrying about it, if it has a scratch so what? What's going to happen? I used to obsess over whether my door wasn't locked before I left my home on a long trip. I'd call friends to go check, then have them check my windows etc. Eventually it became an obsession.

I see that now as hey so what? Someone breaks in so what? (No one has and I do lock them up) I can always replace things. I then go on to list what I'm grateful for, my family is okay, my job is okay, my health is okay etc. it gets your mind off what you fear.

In any case is it a wrist watch? Most people wear them with the watch facing inward towards the inside of the hand rather than the top of the hand to avoid scratches

Hi Audi,

Have you thought about using methods like in CBT to work on these beliefs, the obsessions underpinning these compulsions? If you look on this website there are free downloads and lower down in a section called "Psychology resources made by other people" there are workbooks to talk you through how to change anxious behaviours. One that would be useful to work through would be the Perfectionism workbooks.

http://psychology.tools/download-the...orksheets.html

With workbooks like these it will guide you through testing your beliefs about the obsession and to cut down the compulsion, as well as to notice and learn from the process. This will change your thinking, but it takes time & effort and involves tolerating the anxiety too. However, you already tolerate the anxiety until you reach a point where you can't anymore, so this is something you could try.

Something that can also help with compulsions like this is to make the object of the compulsion hard to access. This means adding in more time between the triggers eating away at you and even being able to conduct the compulsion.

For instance, lock the watches away and put the key somewhere far away in your house. Then cover that area in things that make it difficult and annoying to move around. This can help to discourage you from accessing it and by inserting some additional time between trigger and compulsion, it might just peak and then reduce again as this will be forcing you into a form of exposure prevention.

Hi. Terry. But i m wearing my watch everyday.. how to lock it up?? Is there other way i can do?

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Right now... i trying to tell myself that its normal to get scratches.... its makes the watch personal ...

Any other ones in your collection that you don't need to wear, to avoid the temptation at the moment, could be locked up.

What my therapist had me do with my watch, because I was obsessively checking the time, was to put it in my pocket but underneath other things do that it was harder to remove as to discourage me. It did start me off with cutting it down.

Yes, that's a good way to challenge this obsession - wear & tear makes it personal, more your watch than when you bought it and it looked the same as all the others.

Hi Audi
    Don't wear your watch. look at your mobile for the time.
    I have ocd but it is different to yours Audi.
    I have the checking thing and washing of hands.
    I am the last one to go to bed because I don't trust anyone who goes to bed last.
    Needless to say I don't go bed until late.
    I stack things inside the front door, just in case anyone breaking in will knock them over and frighten them off.
    It sounds silly, but that's how it is.
    Good post from Holds x

Thread Information