Page 129 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1825

Thread: the EU & the UK

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: the EU & the UK

I suspect May wanted to quit on more than one occasion but was prevented from doing so by powerful forces like the 1922 Committee, as it would have triggered a general election and new referendum on EU. Tories would likely have been toast.

She will go when another 'leader' is willing to take over, but right now it's a poisoned chalice and May is a victim of her own success.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    I felt sorry for Theresa May when she had a coughing fit on stage during her speech. I believe her conference was deliberately sabotaged in order to make her look bad.

However, we have to remember that Theresa May has been a shill for the oligarchs her entire political life. Hence, she was rewarded with the PM job. As home secretary, she covered up numerous child abuse inquires into the Westminster paedophile ring. Working for the spooks in MI5/MI6, she helped turn Britain into a police state with the Counter-Terrorism and Security Bill.

Under her "leadership", we adopted the IHRA definition of antisemitism which officially killed free speech in Britain. Like most women in politics, she doesn't have any children and therefore has no stake in the future of this country. Overall, Theresa May is just another traitor

Kincora: Theresa May accused over sex abuse probe 'snub'

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-31062426.html

Bit of an insult to women there, Hollow. They aren't baby making machines for us men and not having kids doesn't mean you don't do good in this world as many prove. Remember, many can't have kids for medical reasons and struggle with that and how society views them.

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    I suspect May wanted to quit on more than one occasion but was prevented from doing so by powerful forces like the 1922 Committee, as it would have triggered a general election and new referendum on EU. Tories would likely have been toast.

She will go when another 'leader' is willing to take over, but right now it's a poisoned chalice and May is a victim of her own success.
    She overstepped the mark with those further to right like the ERG who have been gunning for her. Trying to get Labour to come up with the votes gave them the ammunition although it was the sensible thing to do for the country as a whole.

The thing is, those who want her out now face the potential for someone worse coming in. Labour take a big gamble hoping for a GE, and that they may win when polls don't show that, which may backfire on them when they have already been called Tory enablers for trying to work with them or voting to leave the EU.

Did someone lay a Cable?

Over to the next LibDem leader to actually come up with some ways of resolving Brexit...but they are the party of "head in the sand" just trying to put the lid back on the can of worms.

Gina Miller was thought a possibility but says she can do more a campaigner. I'm not sure whether that's more a damning of the LibDem's or maybe an admission the money isn't in there as opposed to where she, and her dubious shadowy backers (anti Arron Banks? ), prefer to be?

One front runner ruled out after she was found to have assaulted her partner. Very liberal... Swinson then.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/polit...cid=spartanntp

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Bit of an insult to women there, Hollow. They aren't baby making machines for us men and not having kids doesn't mean you don't do good in this world as many prove. Remember, many can't have kids for medical reasons and struggle with that and how society views them.
    Julia Gillard a previous PM here didn’t have children,she was also single.Julie Bishop our ex Foreign Affairs minister had no kids either,both intelligent strong independent women with more balls than most men
    Its men that have the issue,most of them think you are a dyke if you are single with no children.
    I don’t have any and I am no dyke.

The Boris and Trump show will be good entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Lola-Lee View Post
    Julia Gillard a previous PM here didn’t have children,she was also single.Julie Bishop our ex Foreign Affairs minister had no kids either,both intelligent strong independent women with more balls than most men
    Its men that have the issue,most of them think you are a dyke if you are single with no children.
    I don’t have any and I am no dyke.

The Boris and Trump show will be good entertainment
    Intelligent, strong, independent women?!!! How will the patriarchy cope with that?!!!

I wonder if they still want to say it after they've been beaten the crap out of on the floor?

Don't forget those women who look at other women strangely is they haven't knocked out a bunch of kids by their thirties.

They will certainly be giving the political satire shows the easiest ride of material they've had for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Brexit Day + 58

' "Theresa May must use the dying days of her premiership to pass a law to prevent her successor taking Britain out of the EU in a no-deal Brexit against the will of parliament," a former [LibDem] cabinet minister [Sir Ed Davey] has said….’

(according to comment from The Independent):

'MPs have already voted by a majority of 43 against a no-deal outcome, but that motion was not binding on the government.

'Sir Ed said it was “a genuine worry” that a prime minister seeking to achieve a no-deal exit could simply suspend parliamentary sittings through a process known as “prorogation” until the Halloween deadline has passed in order to avoid MPs staging another vote to prevent it.'

Months ago I observed the No Deal option carried as much threat as a half-dead sheep; but that it might spring back to life to become the ram-from-hell….

In the 1963 film Jason And The Argonauts, when the golden fleece became supernaturally empowered, it was transformed from a seemingly dull, lifeless thing into a glowing, glittering wonderousness….

No Deal... Golden fleece or ram-from-hell? Whichever it is, it needs to stay in any negotiations as the bottom-line; because without it we have no leverage - no power - to get even the minimum of one iota of agreement from the EU.
    Did MP's vote against No Deal?

1st vote:

Cherry's revoke Article 50 -
    184 voted in favour while 293 voted against it

2nd vote:

Motion G:
    The motion aims to prevent the UK leaving without a deal, including a vote on whether to revoke Article 50 - stopping Brexit - if the EU does not agree to an extension - proposed by the SNP's Joanna Cherry

Motion G = For 191 Against 292

The indicative votes had a high majority but lets not forget none of them passed the mark for a win. They both failed. Davey seems to be talking about the one that that passed by 1 vote at the 11th hour? Wasn't this a Bill to extend A50 as the date loomed?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...jority-of-four

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...on-by-one-vote

It went from 321 to 278 then to 313 to 312. So, his argument seems to be very thin to me. It could be argued No Deal gained popularity between readings but we all know this wasn't really a vote on No Deal, it was a vote on extension to prevent no deal. This is totally different to what he has raised now and it's the Cherry motion that is most valid in representing cancellation of Brexit.

More LibDem disingenuous behaviour? Isn't he in the running for Cable's job so he's going to be a motormouth for the next couple of months trying to appear relevant?

I can't see how anyone would get away with prorogation of Parliament. There would be challenges to it and it may conflict with the legally defined will of Parliament to have a say in the deal.

That Golden Fleece went dull when you put your hand on it I suspect ours will be full of fleas too

The thing is Parliament can vote to stop No Deal until the cows come home but the clock is ticking and unless you revoke or extend A50 you just crash out. That only leaves the potential for whether A50's use of "constitutional", to define leaving has to be inline with a state's own legal framework, could be heard by the ECJ to rule whether we actually followed it and crashed out legally...a body we would have officially left by then.

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    Yes. We need to look at the Services basis of the economy and factor that into any deal. If the Swiss can succeed Im willing to agree that we ought to be able to succeed, except our MPs probably wont compromise to get any deal that mirrors the Swiss or close to it.
    I wanted to raise this again. For the first year after the referendum we were hearing endlessly about how our services market was the most important issue to us and how it would move to the EU. Yet in the deals we never hear about it. All we hear about is staying close to the EU on regulations but many were arguing Third Country status wasn't good enough and we would suffer.

So, why has this disappeared? We still hear about the CU and manufacturing, jobs. etc. The services industry is our biggest. Even Sadiq Khan talks about fighting for London but where are all the discussions about this huge market? I can only conclude:

a) our media are magpies (which they are) and aren't bothered about it hence we have no clue but that doesn't stack up as the politicians and business leaders would still be making a lot of noise about this.

b) a combination of May's Deal and the WA take care of it enough. This would be that Third Country status that was said to be insufficient to save this industry.

c) the WA alone is enough to cover it. Again, Third Country status.

d) It was oversold as an issue.

I'm leaning towards a combination of b) and d) on that one. If so, this represents a success. I can see nothing in the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 that even mentions services. Also nothing in the UK-EU Withdrawal Agreement either https://researchbriefings.parliament...mmary/CBP-8453

This must mean it part of May's Deal where the close alignment stuff is discussed. Third Country under the EU's MIFIDII then. But still not endless media stories about unlike after the referendum.

We then have the Transition Period up to 31st December 2020 with the option to request a 2 year extension to 31st December 2020. Given how much this has all been delayed it would seem that extension is pretty likely as that year wouldn't be enough to get anywhere on May's Deal since she has now switched to the WA plus temporary measures like the Turkey CU option. May's temporary CU would likely be challenged in this period as it's not part of the withdrawal agreement discussed with the EU and represents a new request, something we don't know if EU leaders have even been asked about before she announced it. But you can expect EU leaders won't want to wait for a new government or a GE when the transition period is supposed to be about the new relationship being decided anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Did someone lay a Cable?

Over to the next LibDem leader to actually come up with some ways of resolving Brexit...but they are the party of "head in the sand" just trying to put the lid back on the can of worms.

Gina Miller was thought a possibility but says she can do more a campaigner. I'm not sure whether that's more a damning of the LibDem's or maybe an admission the money isn't in there as opposed to where she, and her dubious shadowy backers (anti Arron Banks? ), prefer to be?

One front runner ruled out after she was found to have assaulted her partner. Very liberal... Swinson then.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/polit...cid=spartanntp
    Cable praised his party for bringing them back. I don't doubt the local groups campaigning for this but I do question the so called success they are talking about when we consider...

a) they came out to Remain and revoke A50 from the very beginning

b) we have a GE I 2017 where, under Tim Farron with these polices, ended up with a measly 8 seats and 7.9% share!

c) polling since then shows the following:

http://www.ukpolitical.info/General_election_polls.htm

General Election Polls Since 2010.png
    There we can see there vote share has remained pretty consistent since the last GE, basically pretty poor.

So, what has really happened? They did really well in the LEs gaining much more support. For the EPs they have latched onto on activist's slogan to make themselves more controversial. But has their message actually changed? They will want to Remain and revoke A50. Yet al through many of those polls Cable was leader. He was often barely visible in the press other than a few largely unsuccessful attempts to win the youth vote from Labour.

It strikes me that something has only changed more recently causing the LE result. Doesn't it sound more likely they have less achieved anything than profited by the failures of the two major parties failing to achieve their aims? If Cable & co had sat with their feet up on the desk wouldn't they have gained the same level of support? They certainly didn't gain in in the last GE when both major parties were saying they would continue with Brexit.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-a...el-farage/amp/

Ahhhhahahaha-heeheehee-hohoho-ohohoho-hahahahaaaaaa!!!!

Can anyone say Trump and the Russians?
    Last edited by Noivous; 26-05-19 at 14:49.

Page 129 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130131139179 ... LastLast

Thread Information