Page 149 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149
Results 1,481 to 1,487 of 1487

Thread: the EU & the UK

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: the EU & the UK

I suspect May wanted to quit on more than one occasion but was prevented from doing so by powerful forces like the 1922 Committee, as it would have triggered a general election and new referendum on EU. Tories would likely have been toast.

She will go when another 'leader' is willing to take over, but right now it's a poisoned chalice and May is a victim of her own success.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    I felt sorry for Theresa May when she had a coughing fit on stage during her speech. I believe her conference was deliberately sabotaged in order to make her look bad.

However, we have to remember that Theresa May has been a shill for the oligarchs her entire political life. Hence, she was rewarded with the PM job. As home secretary, she covered up numerous child abuse inquires into the Westminster paedophile ring. Working for the spooks in MI5/MI6, she helped turn Britain into a police state with the Counter-Terrorism and Security Bill.

Under her "leadership", we adopted the IHRA definition of antisemitism which officially killed free speech in Britain. Like most women in politics, she doesn't have any children and therefore has no stake in the future of this country. Overall, Theresa May is just another traitor

Kincora: Theresa May accused over sex abuse probe 'snub'

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-31062426.html

Bit of an insult to women there, Hollow. They aren't baby making machines for us men and not having kids doesn't mean you don't do good in this world as many prove. Remember, many can't have kids for medical reasons and struggle with that and how society views them.

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    I suspect May wanted to quit on more than one occasion but was prevented from doing so by powerful forces like the 1922 Committee, as it would have triggered a general election and new referendum on EU. Tories would likely have been toast.

She will go when another 'leader' is willing to take over, but right now it's a poisoned chalice and May is a victim of her own success.
    She overstepped the mark with those further to right like the ERG who have been gunning for her. Trying to get Labour to come up with the votes gave them the ammunition although it was the sensible thing to do for the country as a whole.

The thing is, those who want her out now face the potential for someone worse coming in. Labour take a big gamble hoping for a GE, and that they may win when polls don't show that, which may backfire on them when they have already been called Tory enablers for trying to work with them or voting to leave the EU.

Did someone lay a Cable?

Over to the next LibDem leader to actually come up with some ways of resolving Brexit...but they are the party of "head in the sand" just trying to put the lid back on the can of worms.

Gina Miller was thought a possibility but says she can do more a campaigner. I'm not sure whether that's more a damning of the LibDem's or maybe an admission the money isn't in there as opposed to where she, and her dubious shadowy backers (anti Arron Banks? ), prefer to be?

One front runner ruled out after she was found to have assaulted her partner. Very liberal... Swinson then.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/polit...cid=spartanntp

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Bit of an insult to women there, Hollow. They aren't baby making machines for us men and not having kids doesn't mean you don't do good in this world as many prove. Remember, many can't have kids for medical reasons and struggle with that and how society views them.
    Julia Gillard a previous PM here didn’t have children,she was also single.Julie Bishop our ex Foreign Affairs minister had no kids either,both intelligent strong independent women with more balls than most men
    Its men that have the issue,most of them think you are a dyke if you are single with no children.
    I don’t have any and I am no dyke.

The Boris and Trump show will be good entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Lola-Lee View Post
    Julia Gillard a previous PM here didn’t have children,she was also single.Julie Bishop our ex Foreign Affairs minister had no kids either,both intelligent strong independent women with more balls than most men
    Its men that have the issue,most of them think you are a dyke if you are single with no children.
    I don’t have any and I am no dyke.

The Boris and Trump show will be good entertainment
    Intelligent, strong, independent women?!!! How will the patriarchy cope with that?!!!

I wonder if they still want to say it after they've been beaten the crap out of on the floor?

Don't forget those women who look at other women strangely is they haven't knocked out a bunch of kids by their thirties.

They will certainly be giving the political satire shows the easiest ride of material they've had for many years.

Brexit Day + 56/57

Did Mrs May ever blossom as a Prime Minister?

A while ago I mentioned that with her stamina, resilience and determination, Mrs May would have made a good Brexiteer. But she didn’t, because at heart and from the start she was a remainer and forever approached Brexit from the wrong perspective (how to deliver Brexit without actually leaving the EU – contradictory and inevitably a hiding to nothing). I think she believed she would have in Brexit what her idol Mrs Thatcher had in the Falklands – a great, patriotic victory. This could never happen – more than half the country felt cheated, demeaned and ultimately ignored by her Brexit policy manifest in her ‘deal’ (which, truthfully, was born in the closed minds of Berlaymont and Whitehall – it had nothing to do with what leavers voted for). The remainers would not – will never – accept anything less than remaining wholly in the EU.

Watching her resignation speech, I didn’t detect much sincerity beyond the fact she knew she’d lost her job through failure. When she used the words “deep regret” and “sadly” while expressing how she’d failed to get her ‘deal’ passed, she showed she still doesn’t fully grasp the Brexit situation. What would have been truly and awfully regrettable would have been if her ‘deal’ had squeaked through.

Then at the end there was just a hint of petulant defiance in her “...serve the country I love!” (followed by her understandably concerned husband’s mouthed “Oh crikey!). Yes, it was all terribly sad watching a defeated very public figure tumbling from the pinnacle of high office. And yet, unlike we mere mortals losing our job, she won’t fall very far – she’ll have honours, accolades and positions of influence showered upon her and never be short of money.

But… it should be remembered she never had to seize that poisoned chalice; she never had to capitulate immediately to Brussels; she never had to listen exclusively to ‘advisors’ and throw away her government’s majority; she never had to treat leavers and her own Brexiteer MPs like naughty children; she never had to make herself and Britain appear ridiculous by contemptuously shoving her failed ‘deal’ in our faces over and again.

On hearing Jeremy Hunt’s eulogy, anyone not having seen the full news could have been forgiven for thinking Mrs May had actually died. Politically, yes she did – but she’s been in political purgatory for nearly three years and should now look forward to a real life beyond Westminster (although many MPs believe there’s no such thing – look at uncle Ken Clarke).

What-if… she’d somehow been immune to the poison and got Brexit right…? She’d have been hailed a hero (but only by some, perhaps) and gone into the annals of British political history as one of those incredibly rare, mythically ‘great’ Prime Ministers.

Sadly, Mrs Theresa May never was Prime Minister – not in the true sense – because she only ever had one matter of state forcibly occupying all of her time; and in that one matter she was utterly unsuccessful.

Page 149 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149

Thread Information