Page 176 of 183 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 1825

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    Because Johnson is too popular and well-liked.
    The question is why? He's a clown and people laugh but surely that's not enough to run a country? But the trouble with this is Brexit. Imagine Brexit, and Corbyn, gone and then we would be back to the usual issues and his loveable rogue persona might not be enough if there is a popular Labour leader (like a Blair who knows when to turn on the emotional tears like a crocodile ).

Wes both got electoral systems what sucks a rat's. The party with less votes can still win. How can that be called democracy. Other countries got it right with PR

What really grinds my gears is that 50% or more goes to college. What does they learn there? I guess how to pass exams but not independant thinking. Remember the movie Wizard of Oz? At the end the phoney Wiz talks about " universities, seats of learningrs where men goes to become great thinkers." I guess in them days it might of been true.

I never even finished high school but know bullshit when I hear or read it. Now we got folk who is so ignorant that they vote for the guy who is most opposed to theirs own wellbeing. The world is going straight t
    o hell.
    Last edited by lebonvin; 12-11-19 at 10:19.

Quote Originally Posted by lebonvin View Post
    The world is going straight to hell.
    It certainly will if we don't fight! We've got a vote, haven't we?

I don't got a vote

Imo, Boris is a well educated clown wrapped in English eccentricity, but underneath that is a ballsy get it done attitude and that's what a lot of people want / need right now.
    Corbyn who is referred to as 'The gnome' seems so whimsical and emotionless. Who else is there?
    Until a celeb, actor, actress comes into play, because I'm afraid the average Joe in the real world who sees it for what it really is to live not knowing where the next penny is coming from, and having to make a decision whether to have heating or food, or struggling with their physical or mental conditions, living in a rough area, being abused or forgotten. Well, it's not going to happen is it.
    We are reliable on a University candidate born with a silver spoon in their mouth who's never experienced a slither of poor or hard times.
    So we are left with Boris the bumbler who's object and ambition is to prove he was the prime minister to get things done!
    He has a father and sister to show off his political skills to and he's awkwardness and eccentricity is so how the UK is portrayed anyway. If we are going to be ridiculed as a Country we might as well have a Prime Minister to fit the bill.

Lebonvin,

For the record, I was rubbish at school and was hardly there anyway because of bullying, but you learn more through real life, become streetwise and learn how to cope under difficult circumstances. Schooling, College and University is all textbook theory. Practice is the key to survival and wisdom. So never feel uneducated, it's just a piece of paper. And we can all look up fancy words in a dictionary and put on our best voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Imo, Boris is a well educated clown wrapped in English eccentricity, but underneath that is a ballsy get it done attitude and that's what a lot of people want / need right now.
    My view of Johnson is much more negative than that. Boris is a well educated man that doesnt do detail and briefings and so often fills gaps by making stuff up or playing the British eccentric. Hes someone who before the referendum according to his Dad, Brother and Sister was a remainer and there are documented aspects to that as well. He wrote a couple of pieces for the Spectaor that supported Remain and Leave and went with Leave because it suited his aspirations to become PrimeMinister ( King of the World in his childhood ). Johnson lies, obfuscates and I would not trust him an inch.

I don't think hes ballsy I think hes a careerist and thinks Leave will keep him PM and hes the very worst of politicians as hes very much a bit of a fiction at times. Hes supported by Cummings a very clever manipulator and I don't like being manipulated.

Whats the chinese proverb 'May you live in Interesting Times' !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Lebonvin,

For the record, I was rubbish at school and was hardly there anyway because of bullying, but you learn more through real life, become streetwise and learn how to cope under difficult circumstances. Schooling, College and University is all textbook theory. Practice is the key to survival and wisdom. So never feel uneducated, it's just a piece of paper. And we can all look up fancy words in a dictionary and put on our best voice.
    Education isn't everything.
    I was a 'suck' at A levels and then had to work to educate myself in what I needed and in common sense which ultimately is a key skill that can often be missing in people.
    I think the ultimate University is the University of Life and I hope when I interviewed for jobs during my career I looked beyond the CV as well as at the CV in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by lebonvin View Post
    Wes both got electoral systems what sucks a rat's. The party with less votes can still win. How can that be called democracy. Other countries got it right with PR
    One drawback can be no 1st candidate gets in and a popular 2nd candidate sneaks through.

Our parties will never change as it works well for them being two large ones with a load of smaller parties who never get any power. The most the rest can hope for is influence when the two major parties end up hung or when they need a few extra votes to push some legislation over the line. That definitely isn't democracy as then it comes down to dirty deals in back rooms and cash stuffed in brown envelopes for their causes.

Page 176 of 183 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178 ... LastLast

Thread Information