Page 139 of 183 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 1825

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Well, there you go Terry
    Just proves not to believe everything you hear.
    Sometimes you just gotta weigh up the situation and come to your own conclusion and not be influenced by the unreliable dirt dished up by the media.
    Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    Yes. It feels a very odd thing to do. Obviously neighbour has axe to grind.

However, even ignoring it, I still have no faith in Boris Johnson being a good leader of the UK.
    Indeed. I find it very strange behaviour but these days so many people look to record someone being attacked under the guise of "recording evidence" when it's more for personal use e.g. quick upload to YouTube for the fame.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ow-goes-public

These neighbours has question marks over their behaviour:

- he admits to calling The Guardian.
    - his wife appears to have some involvement in politics if she attends rallies/protests (do most of us care enough to do that?) even if the husband says he only has involvement in Brexit.
    - the neighbours, or someone, is plastered anti Boris posters outside the flat. This is unpleasant behaviour and in this current air of potential assaults on MP's it's understandable how there is concern.
    - his claim that the welfare of his neighbours was his sole concern is somewhat clashing with his eagerness to run to the media. And why did the police not even hear the recording? That could imply it wasn't made for evidence purposes.
    - why make an anonymous call? They do realise the police can see your phone number because they will even clarify it (they have done with my mobile when I have had to call them to emergencies). But why not state your name if your concern is safety?
    - why claim you voted Remain? That makes the issue political. This brings in doubts about their bias and will likely draw a line for some people who will automatically assume nefarious motives.

They are entitled not to be harassed by anyone over this but they should know, given their ages and involvement in politics, that if you stick your neck out you get abuse. Online you will get trolled and insulted. You will if you complain about your local supermarket on social media let alone a very emotive issue as these are!

I also question the behaviour of MP's too:

- one of Hunt's lot made a naughty little statement along the lines of "maybe she was checking his browser history, just saying". To imply what exactly?
    - one senior Labour MP stating he has issues with women. This is wrong when there is a lot of speculation about domestic abuse online and the police have taken no action.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Old ‘Geoffers’ Boycott came out with his pro-Brexit ‘we shall fight them on the beaches…’ stirring stuff, likening Britain’s spirited defiance and defeat of her enemies in two world wars to what we’re facing now. Rousing stuff indeed.

And yet… what everyone should remember (but hardly ever does) is that those wars were not only costly in terms of human life and misery on all sides, but also, for Britain, financially and in world-standing. Looking at modern Germany; one wouldn’t guess without prior knowledge that they actually lost – twice! But look at Britain post-1945 to present….

If we must compare Brexit to war, then at the moment we’re at the point where we’ve been stuck in the trenches for years and there’s seemingly no end in sight. Next, some sort of armistice might be signed (a fudge) and the underlying problem remains dangerously primed ready to blow up again in a few years time – Brexit2 follows Brexit1…. However, we could heed our history lessons and get it right the first time.

Bring in the leavers’ secret weapon – ‘The Tank’ – aka Boris Johnson. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!…
    Geoff won't approve of those continentals as they don't play cricket. He's much happier with the old Commonwealth, many of them love a bit of willow on leather.

I bet Clegg would have been moaning his head off trying to undermine the result of he wasn't in the pocket of the firm accused https://amp.theguardian.com/technolo...ok-brexit-vote

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    This is so good I want to steal it and post it on /r/unitedkingdom
    Steal it all you want, I just had to correct a few typos first! Now done.

So, Jeremy Hunt (it's going to be very confusing having two Jeremy's!) says he can negotiate a new deal with the EU. The EU say they wont budge for anyone. Will the EU budge due to a change in leader? Will they budge due to a change in party? And if so will they also budge if they change the toilet paper in the House of Commons bogs?

Hunt says he will extend the end date to allow for negotiation which must mean another year as the few months to the end of the year Tusk initially endorsed is still very short. Will his better deal be the extras May indicated in her recent letter? So, a temporary Turkish-style CU.

I find it BS that they believe Hunt can get the deal over the line when May couldn't on several occasions (wasn't the vote going the other way?).

I'm not a fan of either Boris or Hunt, but Hunt comes over as weak and soulless to me.
    Then again I can't remember the last time I was wowed by a politician.
    It's a rough job and somebody's got to do it.
    I think maybe the seats in Parliament is just as important, if not more so as any decisions made has to be based on who's sitting on them.
    The PM is just the front man/woman, it's their band we should be more concerned with.
    Last edited by Carnation; 25-06-19 at 23:27.

It's all farcical, isn't it?! Hard to believe that this mess will be part of History.

If GCSEs still exist in the future I can imagine Brexit/Hallowexit being studied with incredulity.

It really is "all panto", particularly the latest BoJo-Carrie "we're so in love" pics taken in the long grass acreage of some country pile which were taken months ago (BoJo's mane gives the game away)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    I'm not a fan of either Boris or Hunt, but Hunt comes over as weak and soulless to me.
    Then again I can't remember the last time I was wowed by a politician.
    It's a rough job and somebody's got to do it.
    I think maybe the seats in Parliament is just as important, if not more so as any decisions made has to be based on who's sitting on them.
    The PM is just the front man/woman, it's their band we should be more concerned with.
    Me neither. Hunt seems like the typical political android you never know what they think about anything and Boris is just Boris Good on HIGNFY as pulisa said earlier but that's pretty much it.

I did laugh at Hunt's recent claim Boris could represent a security risk as he could be blackmailed over his personal life. But the party were fine for him to hold one of the highest offices of state before?

Indeed, the people behind matter. In this case the people behind on both sides have frustrated pretty much any movement for 3 years which shows how being leader isn't special.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    It's all farcical, isn't it?! Hard to believe that this mess will be part of History.

If GCSEs still exist in the future I can imagine Brexit/Hallowexit being studied with incredulity.

It really is "all panto", particularly the latest BoJo-Carrie "we're so in love" pics taken in the long grass acreage of some country pile which were taken months ago (BoJo's mane gives the game away)
    Yes, it's going to be a complicated question on an exam paper

Those photos were hilarious. Did they use the Royal's media people to drum it up?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    because he is a baffoon? Who will drive the country into a brick wall?
    I wonder how much he can even do though with no majority and so many splits across parties. On Brexit he is stuffed so No Deal may loom purely because Parliament won't commit to anything else but what else would he be planning to do?

He's a glory hunter so perhaps he will zoom in for Brexit and quit after rather than run the country on more normal everyday issues?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I've got a signed copy of BoJo's tome on Winston Churchill! My daughter and I were passing Waterstone's and saw the book signing advertised so went in, negotiated the "security" and presented ourselves to BoJo for the customary pleasantries..We were the only ones there!

I don't think he's a blundering fool but it suited him at the time to be thought a buffoon. He obviously has no respect for women and no doubt the ex wife will be raking it in re silence money along with all the other ladies with their offspring from dalliances with him.

BoJo and Trump together is a grisly prospect though.
    Don't tell anyone down there you have it or there will be protests outside your house You had to pass security? It sounds like they pulled you both in as no one turned up!

Yep, she will have a team of lawyers scalping him for everything she can get. He can't be stupid with an education like his, and the career, and I some of it at least must be a crafted persona and perhaps the rest is just his beliefs?

Maybe it will be Wife Swap Heads of State...or something less official

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Brexit Day + 85

Terry… I’m sorry but not surprised you’ve had such appalling experiences with your prospective kitchen fitters. I was going to say you can’t get the skills these days, but that would be being disingenuous and unfair. We had no trouble at all with the bloke we used – a one man enterprise.

First words out of his mouth when I told him we needed a new kitchen were “Change is the essential process of all existence.” which I thought was very profound for a kitchen fitter. Then he did a few calculations on a glorified 1960s calculator and quoted a very reasonable price and a precise time and date of completion for doing the job (March the 29th, if memory serves me correctly).

He turned up exactly as promised, in his big van – a VW Transporter. He worked solidly for three days, eventually finishing about fifteen minutes before his quoted time. But he looked quite perplexed. When I asked him what was wrong, he replied “It’s illogical, Mister Pain. My calculations cannot be in error, but I seem to have worked more efficiently than is half-humanly possible.” Then I noticed he’d got his clunking great 1960s calculator out and I thought, yes mate, you’ve got it wrong and now you’re going to ask me to pay more. But no, all he said was “Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” Unbelievably, he then deducted fifteen minutes of his time from the final bill.

For a few days, we were really pleased, then we thought we’d made a bit of a wrong choice with one or two niggling details; nothing serious and certainly not enough to put us off our brand new kitchen. Perhaps we should have thought about some aspects of it a bit more, but we’d been promising ourselves a new kitchen for the past three years. So I decided to give John, the fitter, a call and see if he could do a few tweaks. He was great about it and was round before I’d put the phone down – he must have driven at nigh on the speed of light. After I’d explained what we wanted changing, he came out with another of his weird thoughts: “It is curious how often humans manage to obtain that which you do not want.” and refused any further payment. As he was leaving, he gave a funny sort of wave – as if his fingers were affected with arthritis (resulting from his job?) – and said “I have been and always shall be your friend.” What a nice but strange bloke, I thought.

I’m not sure if he’s still in the business these days – I heard he was knighted (sounds unlikely) – he was near retirement. If you pm me I’ll look out his contact details… John Red… something or other. One thing I must mention, though, is that he had this peculiar habit of trying to sing in some foreign language all day long, like this:

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
    Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
    Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mād,
    Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed….

Carnation... I'm not overly keen on chocolates - can we have toffees instead? But please, no fudge - we've had a bellyfull of that recently and we're all feeling a bit sick of it!

I thought he came from a family of tree surgeons?

Page 139 of 183 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149 ... LastLast

Thread Information