Page 162 of 183 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172 ... LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 1825

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

Quote Originally Posted by lebonvin View Post
    Fake degree huh? Hot damn how come I never thought of that. But one look at me in an interview and I'd never of got that sales job at Purdue Pharma. You gotta admire the folk who can talk their way into a job without degree. Just proves what kinda qualities them corporation are looking for. Lies, deceit and bullshit. Most highly valued values in our society. If it come down to hard work then all them single moms in my neighborhood would be billionaire by now.
    You can get a degree very easy,go on line and you can buy one

Well I thought I wanted brexit to pass...but now I don't know...

https://dailycaller.com/2019/10/04/k...a-nude-brexit/

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1 View Post
    You can get a degree very easy,go on line and you can buy one
    Or become someone important then the universities can't wait to bestow you with a honorary one for doing nothing just so they can use your name to advertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Well I thought I wanted brexit to pass...but now I don't know...https://dailycaller.com/2019/10/04/k...a-nude-brexit/
    Hmm. I suppose it could be worse. It could be the other way around

This is a weird one. Assistance dogs can't cross over into ROI via the land border because the UK is outside the EU so they have to travel across the Irish Sea to then come back slightly lower down on the map into ROI all via agreed entry points. This is just bits of paper: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49863444

One of the sacked Tory rebels, Margot James, has voiced support for BoJo's deal saying:

Ms James told BBC Radio 4’s The Week In Westminster she thought she and the other sacked rebels would be able to support the PM’s proposals.She said: “If the Prime Minister can get EU and Irish agreement then I think that we would – we’ve all got reservations – but we would be prepared to compromise and vote for the deal. Our prime concern really is to avoid Britain leaving without a deal.”

But Labour's Lisa Nandy said it we were further away from 3 months ago:

But Labour’s Lisa Nandy told the programme: “The truth is we’re further away from a deal than we were two months ago and I can’t see this getting anywhere.”
    Three months ago were had nothing. How can we be further away when the WA had failed multiple times and every indicative vote solution failed in Parliament. Having something is always further ahead than binning all available possibilities discussed. Three months ago all we had was extension and No Deal

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...cid=spartanntp

Obviously the government are saying this keep people happy with them whilst saying they will abide by the law to the Scottish court but being very vague in saying what they will do rather than confirm extension. They obviously hope to find something that overrules the Benn Act and are doing what the lawyers say.

But it is true that negotiation is about compromise and it would be good to see both sides reach towards each other. And for MP's to get behind negotiation rather than clinging to Remain/Revoke or political opportunity (which is irony in itself when you consider BoJo is PM ).

But we do need to know what else is in this deal as the border issue is the only focus right now. Elsewhere it has bene reported other areas that committed us to EU levels of environmental protections, workers rights and food standards are supposedly being removed and I can Labour voted against on this basis.

I think we always have to remember that whilst working towards combined standards with other countries is a good thing we should also have some faith in our own political systems. The doom is that Trump will wreck the NHS, send us lower quality food and we will start ditching climate change targets all because a small number of Tories and their backers want it. But minorities don't get voted in and if they did the Greens would be running the UK for decades. Lets have some faith in Parliament here and if anything is proven by the last 3 years we can see how nothing can get through when no one will support anything anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Well I thought I wanted brexit to pass...but now I don't know...

https://dailycaller.com/2019/10/04/k...a-nude-brexit/
    Nice one my man

You Brexit guys just got the biggest assist you could possibly of dreamed of lol

So you got that hot damn awful reality show in the UK too. Another example of how bad shit always starts in our great nation and spreads to every others country where they speak English

If you could change your national language to Polish or Injun then that shit might not go down so fast

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    After a few minutes of digesting the recent Remainers versus Boris Johnson Supreme Court verdict, I noticed something very odd.

Before explaining, let me draw your attention to the final scene of that marvellous film The Great Escape: The senior British officer in the POW camp is told by the camp kommandant that fifty of the escapees were caught but shot whilst further attempting to escape. The SBO asks how many were wounded; the answer being none. The SBO is incredulous that none survived because the truth of the matter was that in such an event, not all the escapees would have been killed; there would have to have been some wounded survivors.

In the recent Supreme Court case, eleven out of eleven senior judges came out with a unanimous guilty verdict against Boris’s prorogation of parliament… There was not one dissenter…. even though the same calibre of legal professionals in England and Wales – judges (and including the Attorney General) – had decided prorogation in the circumstances was entirely a political, therefore lawful, matter. I found the Supreme Court's unanimous verdict as incredible as the SBO did of those fifty escapees being killed – so unlikely as to be beyond belief....

Anyway, for those who missed the first episode of this British court room story, there’ll be another along very shortly (unless it get’s cancelled on legal advice…!)
    Yes, I wasn't expecting it to be unanimous. It was obvious it was strategic but then it's not a first as the highly hypocritical John Major knows (he even had the gall to waffle on about stopping such things to retain democracy after the case ).

In the Scottish case though the government failed to provide the evidence statement for their actions so the court were allowed to rule there must be know other reason.

What will now be interesting is the new deal BoJo has proposed. If they all think it fails the GFA then I would expect someone from NI to raise a court case to test it. That would end up settling whether this deal can be offered. They could do that once it is published or wait for Parliament to vote on it but it's going to be funny if the vote passes and then the court rules it a breach of a treaty.

Interestingly comments about the role of NI in this deal seem to be more about the DUP than they are the spirit of it. One article explained if the default position of the deal was staying inline with the EU unless a vote passes to change it then it would swing away from the DUP into the hands of Sinn Fein. Of course, the number of articles complaining about the DUP far outweigh that one that gave an account of both sides

So, why not default it that way and it effectively becomes a backstop unless the people of NI decide they want to leave. That sounds democrat to me and surely inline with the GFA over self determinism for NI?

But the question is what else is in this deal. It is said Truss wanted to remove the various protections around workers rights, the environment and food. I think this is where Theresa May got too try-hard hoping to appease business and get Labour votes so we ended up not with a WA but more a part trade deal. Personally I think it would be better to pass UK legislation about workers rights and food standards (I'm less concerned over environmental protections since that's a worldwide issue so it's not bad thing to be aligned with the EU where we have some countries that can show us some good ways forward anyway) because it's our rights so it should be protected by our laws. Those commitments are part of trade deals so a mistake to put into the WA for me. Put them through Acts of Parliament so they governed by us. If the EU went right wing mad all of a sudden then we would change our commitments in our laws then.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    An interesting (or perplexing, dependent on your viewpoint) situation could occur in NI/RoI if referendums are brought into the equation. Any permutation of Customs Union/Single Market/Border/Backstop requiring a unilateral referendum to be held in Northern Ireland would be hijacked by the various factions who want:-

i) A unified Ireland

ii) An Independent-from-UK Northern Ireland

iii) An Independent-from-EU Northern Ireland

iv) A Completely Independent, Unified Ireland

v) A Unified Ireland governed from Dublin

vi) A Unified Ireland governed from Belfast

vii) A Unified Ireland with close political links to an Independent Scotland

viii)A Congress of Gaelic-speaking Celtic Peoples (with Scotland and Wales, but which might even
    encompass Cornwall, Isle of Man, the Breton region of France and Patagonia etc)

ix) Something different, but none of the above.

x) Leave it alone, it’ll all end in tears.

Then the Republic would legitimately insist such a referendum be a bilateral vote on re-unification under the terms of The Good Friday Agreement (but which would have to be re-run immediately if that referendum result didn’t come out in favour – as per their twice-held referendum on the EU’s Lisbon Treaty). Then there might even be the very unlikely call for RoI to leave the EU and join a new UK/Irish Trade Alliance.

Boris referred to the Border/Backstop situation as being one requiring decentralisation of administration (or more succinctly, little or no interference from the EU or UK). I think the UK can do this. But, given the EU Commission’s propensity for controlling everything, I’m not at all optimistic that they could stop inter-meddling. Of course, RoI folks like Mr Varadkar absolutely welcome such intervention and will only encourage the EU to reject ‘decentralisation’. How much more can Boris offer without slipping on that same banana skin Mrs May so carelessly dropped and which caused her to spend all of her time as PM politically pratfalling in a most undignified manner?

Boris now facing at least two prison sentences! I'll have to get my fake LLB degree dusted off to be able to make sense of it all
    If they sort out a trade agreement that doesn't impact badly on UK-ROI trade then I expect things will just trundle along as is. Now Ireland is a net payer, and if it hopefully continues for them, they will have more say in EU matters without fear of the obvious bureaucrat reminding them how much cash they get off the EU when a vote comes up

Yes, we can do this as it's another devolution issue really. The EU won't though, they don't operate like this. That border is the EU border and that means it is tied into the SM and EUCU which is the domain of the Commission. The question is always at what point do the other EU countries indicate they have got enough in a deal to shake hands and then ROI might find they have slightly less support.

I watched the press conference in Denmark. One Danish reporter asked their PM if she should consider how this situation with the border could cause problems for Daish jobs since they are one of the big exporters to the UK. She typically just dodged the question in favour of the prepared Commission support blurb. It would be interesting to know the other side of this from EU media as whilst politicians might see the border as a big issue they might the average voter looking at potential redundancy has a different take.

Boris made a useful statement about meeting half way recently. Reading May's WA I just can't see that from the EU. What the EU gave to us was access to the SM if we keep our standards to the required level to sell into that market. But every country on the planet has that same opportunity, it's not a bonus to us. The only reciprocation was right of UK citizens in EU countries and to be honest the EU could easily have done that anyway and probably will even if we No Deal just to be fair to those citizens. I confess I can't remember about the medical side tied up in that part of the deal and whether ex pats would need to change to EU systems if there was no UK payments in. I can't remember how that works.

Besides if you are a UK citizen on a pension you need to be careful anyway as state pension rights are different outside the EU. One woman has a petition out there for her mother living in Canada about this very issue who is being denied full pension due to where she moved to.

I wouldn't think ROI would go independent from the EU, NI even less so from us & them. They could potentially join up in a Celtic alliance to have more power but then the main parties are all pro EU anyway. There are some in ROI unhappy about things as they view it as a contradiction of their recent history against Britain to then end up under the EU Commission. But surveys in ROI seem to indicate most people are happy enough with the EU. They might change their minds as the EU start clamping down on ROI over tax which will bite them.

Don't know about Wales. Many seem to want more autonomy but have they got much of a relationship with Scotland & Ireland? It has never felt that way to me but then wales is often the forgotten party as NI is.

Which brings me onto the ultimate forgotten party - Gibraltar. No one gives a monkey's about them it seems. I wonder how any of them will be getting to work on the mainland with the tricks Spain have played in the past? They have another border issue tat we all know if tied into Spain wanting that place back but no one seems interested. Gibraltar voted to stay in the EU far more conclusively than the UK countries.

Cameron has popped up showing support for Boris now. Book sales must be slow...

Page 162 of 183 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172 ... LastLast

Thread Information