Page 134 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1340

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

Senior US Democrat Nancy Pelosi is warning us not to jeopardise the GFA if we want to trade with them. I'm probably not the only one reacting with at that when considering Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Ukraine, plus their support/eyes averted to Israel and the Saudi's. No one wants a hard border, and least of all a return to troubles...after all it's more us that will be on the end of that than the US, but even at it's height it wouldn't compare to the hell holes the US have left in it's wake.

Nothing like being 'talked and taught' by the USA.
    Theres not a Politician in the UK who isnt aware of the need to keep the GFA in place.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    The EU elections are due around then and some people have been spinning it as a referendum V2 in their desperation. They perhaps need to be careful what they wish for since Farage is now leading in polling...so perhaps they will change their minds about it being another referendum and downplay it in their typically hypocritical way?

Turnout for EU elections are typically poor anyway. I expect a "Remain" win would be spun as "the voice of the people" even if only 5% of the population turned out...despite 2 years of them arguing so many didn't vote in the referendum hence it can't be the "voice of the people".

EDIT: Yep, The Guardian and some desperate Remain campaign groups by the looks of it. I wonder what they will say should Farage win? We demand a 3rd referendum? This 2nd referendum wasn't really one so it's not legal?

I think the EU elections on May 23rd will be incredibly politicised by all parties and I think they will give Brexiteers a bit more steel to their arguments as Im pretty sure that the Brexit Party & UKIP will do well again. It will as you say be hard for the Remainers to spin anything after that if that is what happens but Remain have hardly got a prescence in the May 23rd elections, its just the Change party isnt it ?

from the Independant:-

Nigel Farage's new Brexit Party has surged ahead in opinion polls for next month's European Parliament elections, with a new survey suggesting it is on course to leave Labour and the Conservatives trailing in its wake.
    The YouGov poll placed the party on 27 per cent within a week of its launch, putting it well ahead of Labour on 22 per cent and the Conservatives on 15 per cent, just weeks before the 23 May elections.
    The Green Party is on 10 per cent, the Liberal Democrats on 9 per cent and Change UK - The Independent Group on 6 per cent, once non-voters and people who are unsure how they will vote are excluded.

If you look at General Election polls taken recently as well that means that during EU elections Labour are losing 10-12% to the Brexit Party and the Tories even more.

Last edited by mezzaninedoor; 18-04-19 at 20:15. Reason: added GE line

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    Nothing like being 'talked and taught' by the USA.
    Theres not a Politician in the UK who isnt aware of the need to keep the GFA in place.
    Yep, I particularly liked the arrogance of the one who claims no one who voted Leave would understand how it feels to cross the border with soldiers as he, the poor little darling, had to all those years ago. Well, aside from our own people over there, the NI residents (many of whom actually voted Leave) and of course we were so insulated from the troubles we didn't experience all the terrorism over here either...

It just comes across as more American arrogance, we all need them to lead our "free world".

I think the EU elections on May 23rd will be incredibly politicised by all parties and I think they will give Brexiteers a bit more steel to their arguments as Im pretty sure that the Brexit Party & UKIP will do well again. It will as you say be hard for the Remainers to spin anything after that if that is what happens but Remain have hardly got a prescence in the May 23rd elections, its just the Change party isnt it ?
    The LibDems, Greens, SNP, Plaid? But how many field candidates?

Labour & Tory are the ones we don't understand with all their splits. Labour seem to be fielding Remain supporting candidates though.

TIG seem to be doing awful in the polls.

from the Independant:-

Nigel Farage's new Brexit Party has surged ahead in opinion polls for next month's European Parliament elections, with a new survey suggesting it is on course to leave Labour and the Conservatives trailing in its wake.
    The YouGov poll placed the party on 27 per cent within a week of its launch, putting it well ahead of Labour on 22 per cent and the Conservatives on 15 per cent, just weeks before the 23 May elections.
    The Green Party is on 10 per cent, the Liberal Democrats on 9 per cent and Change UK - The Independent Group on 6 per cent, once non-voters and people who are unsure how they will vote are excluded.

If you look at General Election polls taken recently as well that means that during EU elections Labour are losing 10-12% to the Brexit Party and the Tories even more.

Interesting about the Labour losses, I hadn't read that. I had read between the first poll, where Farage got 10% an so did UKIP, that UKIP lost loads to them and the Tories saw a reduction too. It does also show that UKIP did attract from both major parties, something that some media have been trying to portray as Tory only.

But it is perhaps easier when you are a single issue party? That doesn't work in a GE though as there are many reasons why you vote but a protest vote in EU elections is easier for many to justify, especially since we are supposed to be leaving anyway.

Another article in the Indy was claimng for Farage to be banned off the airwaves.

I think this is an interesting You Tube featuring Ken Loach & Stewart Lee:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBOioHCl_EM

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Terry... you just got my goat - https://wikidiff.com/pry/prise
    Having that goat will be handy if Brexit finally goes through as such horrors as no bin collections will likely be detailed in our lovely media, that's Brexit no bin collections as opposed to regular council cutback no bin collections

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    The EU elections are due...I wonder what they will say should Farage win? We demand a 3rd referendum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Terry... Carnation.... An intriguing situation developing before our very eyes: Farage/Brexit Party (aided and abetted by the Cross Party ) takes most/all English MEP seats; this is ‘seen’ by the leavers as just reinforcing the leave result from Bref1; the remainers (and the remainers bible, The Guardian) realise immediately the significance of the situation; Labour, Liberals and Change back-pedal like mad on Bref2; Mrs May gets sacked (by some conniving change in Conservative party rules); in comes Boris-the-Berk; hey presto! we’re back to 24th June 2016; Boris goes off to play cricket. The only thing that would make this fully symmetrical is if those Euro-elections could be held on 23rd June…
    Perhaps a slight shift in tactics but still with the same old aims...

Page 134 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134

Thread Information