Page 116 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1825

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    """"How about ‘Nouveau Cosmopolitans’ or ‘Intelligentsia Redux’ for remainers…?

And ‘Pragmatic Revivalists’ or ‘National Liberationists’ for leavers…?"""

Interesting ideas there @Pain , Im not taking offence as an Arch-Remainer However I would say that pragmatism definitely isnt soley with the Leavers as the ERG have failed to be pragmatic in any sense in recent weeks. I think the labels we give each other and the labels we give ourselves really do make for interesting reading.

I spent Saturday evening discussing Brexit with a Union member who was definitely anti-EU and with good reason. I could see his arguments and he made them clearly. He saw the EU as something that was anti-Liberal and anti-Worker and I've always accepted that the EU is not a good friend of emerging economies. The EU has provided plenty of maternity rights over recent years, EU law delivered the rights to holiday pay for part time workers, in 1982 the EU commission took legal actions against the UK government to get equalpay for work of equal value, its because of EU law that harassment is in the UKs sex descrimination act, the EU working directive protects workers to no more than 47 hours a week unless they opt out, theres other stuff as well.

I think the value of the EU is nuanced for everyone and I think the result of 52-48 % is nuanced as well so I accept we lost the argument in the referendum as remainers but we didnt lose it such that we should expect the UK to crash out of the EU on No Deal.

But would we have got there through our own activism? We have plenty. Our friends on the continent are often thought more advanced in their liberal ways but at the same time they also have issues we don't have that are a contradiction e.g. banning burkhas, putting immigrants in isolated facilities (hostile environment? They are said to be leaving such places), police that make ours look like social workers (recent Spanish jackboots, Polish police hammering protesters on the ground who were marching for employment rights, Italy and open Nazi salutes, the Hungarian immigrant hunters?).

I would hope we would have got their eventually on our own but I would agree we have benefitted in social ways too.

It's interesting he was a union member as we are told union members support Remain, something I have always regarded as suspicious. I've been in working class circles all my life and they are anti Tory and pro worker. Bussing in tons of cheap labour is as anti worker and pro Tory as you get. It's they who see their services suffer too, not the bosses. For the same reasons I am suspicious about Labour polling pro Remain but that might be more due to the influx of Momentum? Or maybe it's the disconnect between metropolitan and more northern Labour?

I think it's a mixed bag and there are no good and bad guys but some of each.

I can see the benefits to our combined economic strength in negotiations but at the same time recognise flaws in equality. The equality issues aren't being addressed and attempts to do so have been met with a wall. This leads to stay as we are or try to change it in some way whether that means inward investment or breaking away. If we had much more inward investment then I feel FOM would become a non issue (not considering the housing issue and future sustainability).

The ECJ has it's faults but also it's good points. It has overturned our courts on issues that I felt benefitted those bringing the cases who I agreed with. But then I've also seen the ECJ claim it's not their responsibility at times.

If I felt we had more say in the EC and the direct of travel as well then things might be different. But is it that it's we who are different? I keep remembering Guy V saying he would love to erode our opt outs if we revoked A50, something he couldn't do anymore with the ECJ ruling would could revoke A50 without their agreement. That made me question whether that is coming anyway? What if the other 26 get sick of us and propose legislation to change this? How can be we stop them? We argue they are breaching the spirit of former treaties and they give us the option to leave? But we are too afraid to leave...

I don't see some shining beacon of how it should be in the EU. I see the usual flawed politics we have over here. We have Poland opposing them by rigging it's judiciary and whilst the EU impose sanctions on them they also get reminded of all the EU money they are given, something which again only makes we question the imbalance in relationships.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 16-04-19 at 04:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    It seems that there is a ongoing power struggle between various factions of the Oligarchs. The faction which represents the City of London is in favour of Brexit. I don't see any real benefits of Britain leaving the EU, not for those who are the worst off in society. Change for the sake of change is pointless, maintaining the status quo is the best way forward sometimes. It's the one lesson we can learn from the fake Arab Spring.

Peter Oborne is one of the few MSM journalists with any credibility so his views should be respected.

I was a strong Brexiteer. Now we must swallow our pride and think again

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/ope...d-think-again/

The EU has just signed a huge, ground-breaking free-trade deal with Japan. If we leave, we must begin complex negotiations to get something as good. Does anyone seriously think we could get something better?

The Brexiteers made a succession of claims about leaving the EU that have turned out to be untrue. They said it would be quick and easy. They said that a raft of trade deals would be available by the time we left the EU. To quote Liam Fox, “The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history. ”
    We are making headway with trade deals though so I guess we have to wait and see. And remember the successful Swiss and other EFTA states who are doing well.

Is Osborne arguing for a stay of execution to change the current deal? He seems a little wary of openly stating to Remain and talks about extension, finding better more organised exits and whilst bringing up A50 revocation he doesn't really put his weight behind it.

I also think there is a lot of absolute nonsense peddled by the media. Throw a stone in the street and you will hit a disgruntled voter who doesn't believe politicians give a shite about then and part of their job is lying to get into office to cream off the gravy train and do little to help we plebs. Maybe it's different in some areas but that's all I've ever heard growing up and still now.

So, we get nonsense like the bus and Fox saying he thinks deals will be easy. But every GE we get told how they are going to change things for the better and it so often turns into garbage and round we go again. That's why voting numbers are so low these days. Yet the media portray we poor plebs as sheep.

Yes. The In/Out referendum question was wrong. I never felt that it was a binary choice. I think this has been shown by the amount of different positions we have seen the public polled on since the result and the MPs take in the Commons.

I'm not denying the 52% their say, Im not asking for a second referendum. I just don't believe that all of the 52% wanted the sort of break that the No Deal would give. I obviously can't prove that.

The Status Quo if remain had won is a difficult one but subsequent manifesto's would have has to provide some reformation of the EU by membership I guess to take that into account.

The trouble then being a local council pledge doesn't change anything at national government level in the same way a manifesto would be meaningless if the EU don't want to change. It's like sticking "we will stop Trump Tweeting" in one If Leavers are on a spectrum then so are Remainers so surely there are many who also want change but saw the merits of not leaving or staying in, remembering they are not quite the same thing? And yes you can prove it, I voted Leave and have been saying all along I want trade deals (I was thinking a CETA+ thing though).

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    In whose opinion, Hollow?
    The only journalist to investigate the influence of the pro-Israel lobby in Britain with his Dispatches documentary for Channel 4. That's a taboo subject and could have easily ended his career. Most presstitutes won't go anyway near that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    The only journalist to investigate the influence of the pro-Israel lobby in Britain with his Dispatches documentary for Channel 4. That's a taboo subject and could have easily ended his career. Most presstitutes won't go anyway near that stuff.
    But what about his reporting on Brexit?

And he seems non committal about what he actually supports. Status quo? He doesn't seem pro Remain in that piece to me, they tend to be more direct about remaining.

They need to reform & make fairer:-
    Fisheries Policy
    Reform the EU budget to spend less on Agriculture & Agri Subsidies
    Strengthen Environmental protections even further
    Africa needs to have a fairer chance to trade and grow its economies and not be bullied by EU in certain ways
    Getting a common EU Banking Deposit insurance scheme in place
    Stop any development of an EU defence force

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    Off with his and her heads!

Never Surrender, Comrade

I think you are teasing me a pit, Pain.

Environmental measures may be expensive but the Climate needs Environmental measures enshrined in law to save the planet.
    Fisheries policy needs to be reformed for the fishermen, UK fishermen in this instance.

You asked me so I played along.
    I guess you will nit pick any answers I might give and we'll have to agree to disagree.

Page 116 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166 ... LastLast

Thread Information