Page 141 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1825

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

Barnier gets the snub. Due to the lack of agreement it appears Macron has switched to one of Merkel's German ministers.

Lagarde also gets to take over from Draghi. Now if there were eveer two people who should have their offices in a cell with a prison guard outside...

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Brexit Day + 96

Puerile it might have been, but, by gum! it looked effectively defiant and provocative. (British kriegies taunting their German captors sprang to mind... perhaps inappropriately.) Is there any significance in those LibDems wearing yellow tee-shirts?

Further to the mass back-turning, I heard someone(?) mention that in German Saxony, officialdom is trying to make it an offence for anyone caught insulting or denigrating the EU flag or any other EU bureaucratic apparatus…. and away we go down the slippery slope into something far more sinister.

I did notice all t-shirts lacked a spine

Hmm...now will officials in German Saxony be digging out those black uniforms they've had in storage for some decades

Bercow might have thwarted the last bit of remainers’ ‘irresponsibility’ (or ‘blackmail’), but without a shadow of a doubt, there’ll be some more malarkey along shortly which he might well allow (he’s got a bit of a past record on this matter).

It was a very dirty tactic. The only people who would suffer if both sides stood their ground would be workers, claimants, etc. In other words, no impact to MP's! I would hope if that happened there would be some mass marching in London against it. I wonder if being a Remainer would take priority over hitting society towards the lower ends?

Christine Lagarde in charge of ECB – tells you everything you ever needed to know about Eurobanking! And Euro-investors don’t seem too happy with the prospect, either. Yes, even less growth and more rising inflation is the current prediction for Euroland – aren’t we British lucky we’re not going to get pulled down by that sinking ship!
    These predictions vary from institution to institution. Do you suspect their may be a political element to this?

This is the trouble with branches of government you can't have a voice in. We have the House of Lords. Cronies can vote cronies in. With the EU this has been a bun fight between the political groupings and not about who is best to do anything. Just look at them putting Juncker in when he was screwing his country for corporate tax...and then the EC end up investigating their own president's actions! Just like over here it reeks of corruption...FIFA must be worried about their place at Mr Blofeld's table
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 04-07-19 at 01:29.

Terry... I seem to have acquired quotes not attributable to me - you haven't been reading Private Eye by any chance?
    Must have typed in between your text and forgot to put the additional quote tags in.

See how easy it is to misquote someone or just add any old stuff in? We must feel sorry for the media now. Of course, if I was going to go the whole hog and make up some whoppers I wouldn't have added your name and simply said "a source said..."

We've had the Boris Bus but next up is the Boris Bridge! Nope, not that naff garden bridge thing, this will be an enourmous Trump-esque thing from Scotland to [insert which is the most appropriate name of the area for the island to the west of Wales].

Move over HS2. Well, if they want that they can take some reductions out of the Barnett for it. What a tremendous waste of money when we have more pressing issues. A pure vanity project for the likes of the DUP & SNP?

Didn't it pass over an area where we dumped all our excess WWII munitions into the sea? That's going to be handy for whichever terrorist organisation wants a nice swim.

Okay so I've been reading around the latest machincations of the Politicians and now it seems George Osborne who has said some very unsavoury things about Boris Johnson is backing him wholeheartedly. Also in May 2016 Osborne suggested that a 'no deal' or 'WTO deal' exit would leave the GDP 6% lowere by 2021and add 800,000 to unemployment figures. Sterling to depreciate by a further 15 per cent and CPI inflation to grow by 2.7 persebt annually.

Boris Johnson wrote in his 1999 'Life in the Fast Lane' book that he was a raving Euro-federalist. to be fair though everyone is allowed to change their minds. Its just that this all adds to the fact that Boris is likely to be a fickle PM and hard to trust.

Osbourne was doing Project Fear and regardless of the fallout weren't his facts later debunked due to what they were based on? The various institutions have varied. Boris isn't a man of principles other than being rich. He will say what is needed to get what he wants. Remember his face when the ref result was announced? He was clearly knocked back. Farage on the other hand was cheering with a pint in his hand. So Boris is going to be typical of party before country. But I confess to not knowing what goes on in their heads as they are all so snakey in the Tories and the same for why Osbourne is backing him. They must think Hunt will bring worse for us?

Brexit Day + 98

So we have left the EU... on the 1st of June 2019! The following piece of law pertaining to the second Brexit extension period (12th April to 31st October 2019) clearly shows the conditions which determined that second extension were not met – Article 50 has never been ratified...

This decision [to grant a further extension] shall cease to apply on 31 May 2019 in the event that the United Kingdom has not held elections to the European Parliament in accordance with applicable Union law and has not ratified the Withdrawal Agreement by 22 May 2019.”

Yes, folks, it’s another piece of EU-drafted law gone wrong. For the full story, see:
    https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/0...eady-happened/

I still reckon we left on the 29th March 2019.
    So, we have actually left now then!

The original text from the letter appears to show this:

HAS ADOPTED THIS DECISION:

Article 1

In the event that the Withdrawal Agreement is approved by the House of Commons by 29 March 2019 at the latest, the period provided for in Article 50(3) TEU is extended until 22 May 2019.

In the event that the Withdrawal Agreement is not approved by the House of Commons by 29 March 2019 at the latest, the period provided for in Article 50(3) TEU is extended until 12 April 2019. In that event, the United Kingdom will indicate a way forward before 12 April 2019, for consideration by the European Council.

Article 2

This decision shall enter into force on the day of its adoption.

Done at Brussels, 22 March 2019.
    Did May indicate a way forward other than needing more time?

(8) By letter of 20 March 2019, the United Kingdom submitted a request for an extension of the period provided for in Article 50(3) TEU until 30 June 2019, with a view to finalising the ratification of the Withdrawal Agreement.

(9) On 21 March 2019, the European Council agreed to an extension until 22 May 2019, provided the Withdrawal Agreement is approved by the House of Commons in the following week. If that is not the case, the European Council agreed to an extension until 12 April 2019 and indicated that it expected the United Kingdom to indicate a way forward before 12 April 2019 for its consideration.
    Interesting note for Boris, Hunt and Corbyn to read several times over too:

(11) Such an extension excludes any re-opening of the Withdrawal Agreement. Any unilateral commitment, statement or other act by the United Kingdom should be compatible with the letter and the spirit of the Withdrawal Agreement.

So where's the furore?
    Are they downplaying it is it everyone just not surprised about another piece of naffly drafted law? Did the same people draft A50?

I wonder if that bloke who was bringing a case we had left has seen it yet?

The current technical solution suggestions to the Irish border issue: https://www.governmenteuropa.eu/alte...-border/93734/

Project Beer. Well they've tried to link pretty much everything else to it...https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ash-ditch.html

Page 141 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151 ... LastLast

Thread Information