Page 142 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1825

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

Well I suppose it's one way to make yourself Prime Minister https://www.theguardian.com/politics...no-deal-brexit

Watched the debate last night between Boris and Hunt. Did I say debate, was more like two schoolboys being summoned to the headmaster who clearly had no control over their bantering.
    Although I can't get excited over either of them, 'Hunt' just doesn't do it for me. For one thing he keeps changing his mind. And! I unfortunately experienced the mess he caused within the NHS when my mum was in and out of hospital. Oh, don't be ill on a Saturday or Sunday, most of the nurses and Doctors are marching then. Pretty much summed it up. Thanks JM, you don't impress me much and to me you come over as sly but with as much gumption as a watered down bottle of washing-up liquid.
    Boris may have the label of eccentric Britain, but he has more passion, more intelligence under that floppy hairstyle of his and he'll get the job done!
    Brexit seems like a wave in the distance, an event that never came to pass with people putting their lives on hold as well as holidays, their businesses and homes. But we still eat the manky fruit and veg with their chemicals and watch our industries slowly diminish.
    As for retail? I'm still not over losing 'Woolworths' and remember the days of shopping in the high street being enjoyable with the butcher, the greengrocer, the bakery, the haberdasheries, the florist, shoe shop, the cafes and restaurants and pubs. Where do you find a shop these days? The Supermarkets hold us ransome with their continuing price hikes filled with food and products mainly from the EU that have as much shelf life as 'best by last week!'
    Getting back to the programme I saw last night, I couldn't help cringing when Hunt was talking about health and care for the elderly. It's in such a sorry state with a crisis point regarding care homes and home care. GP surgeries that never seem to have any appointments and as for mental health, I don't even have to go in to the problems there on a Forum like this.
    No, despite Boris coming over as not the averagely turned out politician, he's the better of the two for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Brexit Day + 103

Dominic Grieve, in his limited wisdom, has proposed and succeeded in getting his motion passed in the House of Commons, requiring fortnightly discussions and briefings on power-sharing in Northern Ireland (passed by what is becoming an infamous ‘one vote’). What Mr Grieve is attempting to do is add layer upon layer of obfuscating bureaucracy (an EU trait) deliberately to prevent Brexit from ever happening.

"Heaven knows, if I've tried to do anything during this Brexit process it's to try to encourage a sound process and to prevent catastrophic cliff edge moments and to enable this House to make reasoned decisions," said Mr Grieve (via the BBC).

I think Mr Grieve, in his own words and in common with most remainers, is not only displaying full-blown catastrophism but also being economical with the truth. His ideas of encouraging “sound progress” and making “reasoned decisions” are to seek ways in which we can achieve stasis and remain in the EU without giving any reasons why democracy should be ignored.
    I think Grieve showed us just how far he will go to achieve his aims without a care for us nearer the bottom when he tried to bring in the highly dangerous shutdown on estimates vote. Sure, it wouldn't have affected him as he swilled his expensive sherry.

I must admit I'm struggling to get my head around why the NI power-sharing vote changes anything other than to mean more meetings (meetings about having meetings ) where little to nothing is achieved. NI is a mess of their own making, nothing to do with Brexit.

Brexit Day + 101 (room for remainers in here)

Oh dear! yet another bunch of democratically elected twerps who don’t actually like democracy. Or is it the same bunch of twerps yet again travelling illicitly on the same expired ticket but using another false identity? When are they going to get ‘it’? ‘It’ being you can’t pick and choose your democracy – ‘it’ is an all or nothing absolute!

And on it goes: Tom Watson wants all Labour remainers to sign up to their belief and intention that the UK must stay in the EU or at the very least have a [rigged] Bref2, which would amount to the same stinking box of broken rotten eggs.

OK, here’s the condition which all those elected remainer MPs, (of any political party) will have to accept concurrently as they officially signal their remain intentions: They immediately on signing relinquish and resign their parliamentary seat and a by-election has to be held within one month in their former constituency; however, this mandatory requirement could not be used to delay any parliamentary business, including that relating to Brexit. This would effectively mean that all remainers who did sign would be out of parliament for at least one month, if not forever… a lot of business could be carried out positively in their absence.... That would be democracy in action!

PS: Has anyone consulted the nearly-90-year-old Ms Boothroyd about Rory Stewart's idiocy?
    Corbyn is still trying to be very careful about saying he supports a Bref2 and keeps his language open to being about a GE. But now Momentum have turned on him the likes of Watson have less to fear. Even Abbott & McDonnell are turning on him now. He could be looking at a leadership challenge again and Landman might put in another Momentum type that will boot Corbyn out as he is becoming toxic to them. But whilst so many might like Watson right now they need to remember he is not what Corbyn came in to achieve.

To be honest, We could hall long left the UK for another country and they would still be arguing with each other in a room.

I would be surprised if Boothroyd would want in on any of this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Watched the debate last night between Boris and Hunt. Did I say debate, was more like two schoolboys being summoned to the headmaster who clearly had no control over their bantering.
    Although I can't get excited over either of them, 'Hunt' just doesn't do it for me. For one thing he keeps changing his mind. And! I unfortunately experienced the mess he caused within the NHS when my mum was in and out of hospital. Oh, don't be ill on a Saturday or Sunday, most of the nurses and Doctors are marching then. Pretty much summed it up. Thanks JM, you don't impress me much and to me you come over as sly but with as much gumption as a watered down bottle of washing-up liquid.
    Boris may have the label of eccentric Britain, but he has more passion, more intelligence under that floppy hairstyle of his and he'll get the job done!
    Brexit seems like a wave in the distance, an event that never came to pass with people putting their lives on hold as well as holidays, their businesses and homes. But we still eat the manky fruit and veg with their chemicals and watch our industries slowly diminish.
    As for retail? I'm still not over losing 'Woolworths' and remember the days of shopping in the high street being enjoyable with the butcher, the greengrocer, the bakery, the haberdasheries, the florist, shoe shop, the cafes and restaurants and pubs. Where do you find a shop these days? The Supermarkets hold us ransome with their continuing price hikes filled with food and products mainly from the EU that have as much shelf life as 'best by last week!'
    Getting back to the programme I saw last night, I couldn't help cringing when Hunt was talking about health and care for the elderly. It's in such a sorry state with a crisis point regarding care homes and home care. GP surgeries that never seem to have any appointments and as for mental health, I don't even have to go in to the problems there on a Forum like this.
    No, despite Boris coming over as not the averagely turned out politician, he's the better of the two for me.
    We are supposed to be worried about Boris selling off the NHS to Trump yet in Hunt we actually have the man who worked to undermine it and even has written a book about doing so! But we aren't supposed to be worried because Hunt backs the correct EU horse

As Pain and you say, he's the kind of guy who would be smiling at you whilst sticking a long knife in your back. I just don't get his popularity to get this far, why is he seen as so competent when the NHS under his tenure was one long fight against incompetence?

I'm I really surprised to see Hunt in the final furlongs.
    And I agree with you both about his persona. I just wouldn't believe anything he said and he would probably have an excuse for everything! Double glazing sales rep, estate agent, the unlikeable teacher, Insurance broker? Take your pick, but not a prime minister in my eyes.

So, a stereotypical Tory MP then?

Another political android but then it's all been moaning about ideologues & popularists of late so I'm not sure what people want if not another Cameron clone type? Maybe a dreamer like Corbyn?

I'm at the point where I'm not sure who or what is best anymore. I think our Tony got it right when he said we are surrounded by minnows.

Not a lot to choose from Terry. It's salt or pepper.....

Wot! No vinegar? We could end up with Dijon mustard
    Not more federalism?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Not a lot to choose from Terry. It's salt or pepper.....
    Indeed. Boris is rumoured to like white powdery stuff and Hunt gets up everyone's nose

Page 142 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152 ... LastLast

Thread Information