Page 146 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1825

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

No doubt we will see Homegrown produce on wheels now that Boris Johnson is prime minister.

Terry, it is our local Spar shop that sells the Homegrown produce and local farm products.

Mezz, I'd forgotten about the auctions and of course you can go to most farms and buy direct.
    Could it be the laziest of the majority of people has the supermarkets firmly in control?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Mezz, I'd forgotten about the auctions and of course you can go to most farms and buy direct.
    Could it be the laziest of the majority of people has the supermarkets firmly in control?
    I think the problem with homegrown & being ecologically sound is that you have to be prepared to put extra effort into your life. It takes more time and means you have > 3/4 shopping points rather than just going off to Tescos. Supermarkets still have a part to play and in a way what we want is for peoples ecological behaviour to make the supermarkets make better choices. However the market imperative will drive what they do more than anthing.

I'm not very good at being green but I have started some small steps, green investments, green energy supplier and planting trees but its a drop in the ocean. I try to use the local butchers a bit as well to cut down on food miles but we still do shop at Tesco and Aldi :/ as well

Globalisation again. Why grow it when we can buy it cheaper elsewhere? It's that race to the bottom that killed off so much industry. I wonder at what point we will have to accept price rises across the board? The same with tax. Do we have enough farming land to even support our population anymore? I'm not sure I would like wild areas turned into intensive farming areas either. People like convenience and it's cheaper too as going organic may work out more expensive. But I must admit when I see people do it on TV it looks so much better than the rat race. I didn't know you could buy veg at auction!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Terry, it is our local Spar shop that sells the Homegrown produce and local farm products.
    I've not seen them do this here. It's a good idea and not so different from managers doing specials or markdown work. Our local Tescos seem to differ in product range so there must be some autonomy for store managers, one branch is much better than the one a couple of miles down the road. And I know they do across regions because when I used to holiday down south you would get local product changes (we do around here when it comes to the local brewery and our oatcakes) with all the gorgeous apply juice we can't get up here.

Not only veg and fruit Terry, you can get plants and sometimes a meat van like the good ol days.

Not the van, the meat on the van

Deleted, reason, duplicated

Even more I've never heard of! Is it like a selection box thing?

Page 146 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156 ... LastLast

Thread Information