Page 151 of 183 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1825

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    Interesting day today in the HOC.

Someone shared this with me though some of it is purely speculative

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Remain...OySYYwnyM4s7yo
    The headings show some massive holes, the usual ones by the Remain camp, which makes me wonder if it's the usual ostrich impression.

Some I'm going to agree with but anyone saying FOM doesn't restrict your ability to control your borders would baffle anyone from a country outside the EU who would not understand how you can say it doesn't. Feel free to explain to all the workers why businesses can bus in loads of cheap labour and drive wages down and there is nothing we can do about it as it's legal under FOM and the only way is to stop the businesses taking advantage of what is essentially a cornerstone of the Single Market.

At one large company my brother worked at this is exactly what they did, they outsourced recruitment and in came loads of east European workers and local workers were greatly reduced. Baring in mind this is a region with problems, that's not very helpful at all but what can anyone do? Why can't people see this is a motivating factor to vote Leave? But all we hear is it's a power grab by the Singapore-On-Thames mob yet that doesn't address the big businesses who profit from cheap labour at the cost of local economies.

The question is whether businesses will jus do it from other nations now. But that's a lot harder when you need the Home Office to grant the ability to work here.

I can see the author trying to debunk the unelected officials argument but he has completely missed what anyone has said. It's not about civil servants, it's about who elects the presidents. The EU Commission is a sort of House of Lords. If we replace the Lords would we replace it EU Commission style where we allow politicians to put their mates in even if they are rotated out unlike the Lords? Surely we would want a vote on who goes into a second chamber?

Another issue is the MEP's and how your vote counts for naught. It's all about political groupings in the EU because it's to large. The only time you get anywhere is if you are one of the larger groupings. How much power do the lesser parties have in Parliament in the UK? Why do some people complain about FPTP because it ensures an almost two party system? That's what you have in the EU, unless you align with the major groupings your vote is worthless as it is over here. Fair enough the MEP voting system uses something more aimed at balance but that's irrelevant because unlike say a political party over here who tries to standalone the MEP's stand in a big group of parties from all over the EU and work together. That just shuts out the smaller players for me.

I'm not sure what is a better way there though but I do feel it's along the same lines of the arguments of those in the north of England, Wales & Scotland (and maybe NI) who feel shut out by a London-centric make up.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 05-09-19 at 02:17.

At last something No Deal isn't going to cause a shortage of. The Purge here we come https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/u...-part-16858123

Boris Johnson told Leo Varadkar a no-deal Brexit would be "a failure of statecraft"

no sh1t sherlock!!!

Boris Johnson’s pro-Brexit backer Crispin Odey has made a £300m bet against British businesses and stands to make huge profits from the woes of the UK economy. Rees Moggs investment company has already made a fortune shorting against the UK. Plenty of others have been shorting against the pound and they made plenty when Sterling fell to an intra-day low of $1.1965 as fears of Britain withdrawing from the European Union without a deal grew on 3rd September. BUT I guess there isnt really a clear morakl position for Investors at the moment and as Amber Rudd said theres little sign that Boris is after any sort of Deal.

Even though I have anxiety, I been loving house of commons debates on television the last 12 months, I am looking forward to the best of the house of commons coming out on dvd/blu ray.

I agree, Phil! It's the best comedy show ever!

Now Bercow is going let's have guest speakers. Isn't The Fake Sheikh out of jail now?

Yeah, we could utlise the guest presenters that they have for Have I Got News for You
    Frankie Boyle and Jo Brand and the like as Speakers

In which case all absences shall mean substitution by an object. Who gets the bucket of horse manure though?

A tub of hair gel for Boris I guess!!!

Page 151 of 183 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast

Thread Information