Page 156 of 183 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 1825

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

Quote Originally Posted by lebonvin View Post
    Hey Terry, Mezza or whoever

You probably heard that a big tour company from your country just went bust. There are quite a few Brits "stranded" here but if I was them I'd think Yippee we can extend our vacation now. They can't possibly lose their jobs cozza that (or can they?)

I was just gonna ask yous if it got anything to do with Brexit?
    They wont lose jobs because of it, no
    Problem is that Im unsure of how good Travel Insurance coverage is for a company going bust ?!?!
    Most of the repatriation is paid by an Industry body that companies pay into not Insurance
    It sounds like there are lots of different circumstances where for some hotels will be paid for, for some they won't and you'll need to take a personal punt for the extra days stuck abroad
    Thomas Cook have been servicing high levels of debt for years now and thats been their downfall as they have to service interest on debt before they can make any money alongside people who now create their own holiday packages on the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    The McGuffin Strangles Corbyn.

In a shocking turn of events at the annual Labour Conference, Jeremy Corbyn’s staunchest ally of recent times, ‘The McGuffin’, quietly strangled the leader of the opposition in front of an assembled crowd of erstwhile Labour Party delegates and members. Astoundingly, many in the bemused audience just looked on without going to Mr Corbyn’s aid and an even greater number seemed to cheer half-heartedly, thinking it was a staged piece of theatrical nonsense. A small group of close friends belatedly realised what was happening and rushed to the stage, their momentum carrying them through the packed throng of onlookers to their fallen comrade’s side. In the confusion, ‘The McGuffin’ slipped away unrecognised and unchallenged.

Although Mr Corbyn was declared ‘technically’ expired at the scene, later tests showed he had survived the incident and is still as much alive as he ever has been.
    McDonnell has gone mad suggesting that Labour will roll out a 32 hour working week
    Talk about making the UK uncompetitive

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    McDonnell has gone mad suggesting that Labour will roll out a 32 hour working weekTalk about making the UK uncompetitive
    Won't it send small firms into liquidation too?

An update on trade deals. With a transition period it looks possible to replicate what we have with the EU: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...mp/uk-47213842

The McGuffin Strangles Corbyn. In a shocking turn of events at the annual Labour Conference, Jeremy Corbyn’s staunchest ally of recent times, ‘The McGuffin’, quietly strangled the leader of the opposition in front of an assembled crowd of erstwhile Labour Party delegates and members. Astoundingly, many in the bemused audience just looked on without going to Mr Corbyn’s aid and an even greater number seemed to cheer half-heartedly, thinking it was a staged piece of theatrical nonsense. A small group of close friends belatedly realised what was happening and rushed to the stage, their momentum carrying them through the packed throng of onlookers to their fallen comrade’s side. In the confusion, ‘The McGuffin’ slipped away unrecognised and unchallenged. Although Mr Corbyn was declared ‘technically’ expired at the scene, later tests showed he had survived the incident and is still as much alive as he ever has been.
    In other news conference delegates were seen trying to nail fog to a notice board

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    An update on trade deals. With a transition period it looks possible to replicate what we have with the EU: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...mp/uk-47213842
    Yes.
    So lets get a Deal and get to the transition period !!!

Brexit is not going to be abolished.
    I still feel that we will get Brexit but it will be Deal or No Deal.

I'm agitating for a Deal.
    I think its a failure of statecraft if we have a No Deal.

I'm very worried about this pitting Parliament against the People that Boris seems to be following means that we are getting death threats to MPs, we are getting inflamatory language all across the political parties. Boris it appears is not a consensus politician and I think it was a failure of Theresa May that she took 2 years + before she even began speaking to all political parties, too little too late.

Boris, uncharacteristically, might have chosen the wrong metaphorical Greek myth.

He is not Prometheus having his liver pecked out every day for stealing the gods’ fire but Sisyphus, the Corinthian king who was a master of trickery. Twice Sisyphus tricked his way out of certain death, but eventually the arch-god Zeuss decided to teach him a lesson. He was condemned to spend every day of eternity pushing a boulder up a mountain, only for it to roll back upon him every time he nearly reached the summit. The original allegorical meaning of this is twofold: tricksters always meet their nemesis and sleight of hand can’t be seen to pay…. Personally I’d like to see Sisyphus roll that boulder right over the top of the mountain and laugh with unbounded glee as it crashes into the Olympian Temple of Zeuss and reduces it to rubble (come to your own conclusions as to what that Temple of Zeuss might represent in my Utopia )

So now Sisyphus Johnson has lost one ‘life’, what’s he going to do with his last throw of the dice?

But seriously, the Brexit situation is now way beyond jokes and metaphors. We have a third of a Conservative party which has tried conventional means to break the stalemate and failed. We have a third of a Conservative party which has tried imaginative but desperate sleight of hand and failed (so far). And we have a third of a Conservative party who aren’t Conservatives at all. Then we have a Labour party whose leader dare not speak his mind for fear of incurring half of his supposed loyal MPs vengeful wrath. And last and least we have the Liberal Democrat dictators – a party whose name comes nowhere near a description of its true modern identity of being neither liberal nor democratic – aggressively agitating for Brexit to be abolished for all time.
    And Zeus didn't put a mixed group of his opposition and supporters above the boulder pushing it down as he pushed it up or several of them trying to leg him up on the the way

The thing with the Lib Dems is how can anyone take them seriously when they would do the same with any other issue they don't like? Until all this they were the party that were continually derided for selling out the students and selling off the PO for peanuts to their mates. Tories with nicer smiles?

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    Brexit is not going to be abolished.
    I still feel that we will get Brexit but it will be Deal or No Deal.

I'm agitating for a Deal.
    I think its a failure of statecraft if we have a No Deal.

I'm very worried about this pitting Parliament against the People that Boris seems to be following means that we are getting death threats to MPs, we are getting inflamatory language all across the political parties. Boris it appears is not a consensus politician and I think it was a failure of Theresa May that she took 2 years + before she even began speaking to all political parties, too little too late.
    The 2nd referendum they are fighting for seems to be along the lines of Deal or Remain though. And I've seen people talking about May's deal being re-opened.

Imagine a situation where we voted Leave in 2016 and in 2019 we vote Remain but it was against May's deal. That just leaves a massive question mark over whether people stil want to leave but not with a naff deal like that. I would rather a 2 part vote, the 1st part being Leave vs Remain, but you know they will be too afraid to do that because if it's comes out Q1 Leave and Q2 Remain it will re-open the whole need for negotiation again whilst indicating we would rather Remain than Leave on a bad deal hence No Deal must surely be a Remain too.

I'm very wary of a 2nd referendum because they will craft it towards Remain. This might mean I have to vote for a naff deal just so we don't stay in and get dragged even further into the EU's new visions which have become even more about centralisation since we voted.

I can't see how Boris can stay now. We will end up back with months of another stupid party election campaign an probably end up with someone like Hunt who is just as big a conman only looking out for himself. The parties won't call a VONC because Boris can play with the dates to force a No Deal crash out so they have to wait until he gets an extension first. Then we have a GE which no one will commit to because Corbyn knows he can't win it. Maybe the SNP will call a VONC and try to force the issue away from a dithering opposition?

Labour hammers another nail in it's coffin over Brexit:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...cid=spartanntp

I take it this is Free Movement for planet earth into the UK though? Do they really not understand why the EU is pushing back against Africa and throwing money at Turkey to keep immigrants away from their borders? Now it's come everyone.

Page 156 of 183 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166 ... LastLast

Thread Information