Page 181 of 183 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 1825

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

Since the UK isn't a paying member they have to make cuts. Austerity it is. I've always said the EU is attempting to create a one world Government. I get called a looney when I suggest it. Of course a one world Government is near impossible without Russia, US and China. All are trying to create their one world Government. In essence it's the USA, Russia, Europe and China that run things. But the EU seems to be down a few chips. I can bet the UK is going to be up the rear end of Trump very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Since the UK isn't a paying member they have to make cuts. Austerity it is. I've always said the EU is attempting to create a one world Government. I get called a looney when I suggest it. Of course a one world Government is near impossible without Russia, US and China. All are trying to create their one world Government. In essence it's the USA, Russia, Europe and China that run things. But the EU seems to be down a few chips. I can bet the UK is going to be up the rear end of Trump very soon.
    James, have you seen the film Mutant Chronicles (based on an RPG I think)? The world is run by 4 huge corporations that replaced governments and they spend all day fighting over resources. It reminds me of this and funnily enough we are in the block with the US

An interesting piece from the FT (anti Brexit):

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news...cid=spartanntp

The Nissan UK boss is well known for his empty threats (remember the Euro?) but I didn't expect this with the Japanese PM saying he wants the UK to remain in the Single Market or they would start shifting into another EU country. Here we have Nissan finding their sales in the rest of the EU not worth staying in the case of a harder Brexit where tariffs are applied. They would also seek to poach business from those who remained in the EU by driving up UK car sales.

Plants in Barcelona and France would be hit or closed for this. It would hit the German car market too which will be concerning since Germany has been working hard to stay out of recession through most of 2019.

A question raised now is whether Nissan would see a bigger increase in profits by leaving their EU market and poaching UK car sales? It also raises questions over a shift in tactics by Japan.

I still think tariffs will be dropped though as it's just good business sense for both sides. The negotiations are just starting so we will hear the nonsense hard stance stuff from both sides just as we did 3 1/2 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBMvZRf9Scs&feature=emb_title

I thought Nigel's speech was very good (see video). What do the rank and file think?

I'd say the UK got out of the EU in the nick of time:

https://www.breitbart.com/middle-eas...ke-your-share/

Well, Pain, I think your earlier point of a clean break to then come back to the table is the most likely to wake them up. Im still up for a deal but my previous 'work together' stance has hardened after watching the games.

Sadly that means some extra problems with additional paperwork and adjustments to tariffs. But I'm not sure there is any other way after watching this all the way. We should not be in this ridiculous situation this late on.

I wonder whether Boris cares though? Even PMs who prove themselves worthless go on the ex leaders gravy train. Does he want a legacy or simple a stepping stone to more cash?

Regardless I think if he bungles it the Tories will get their knives out and a new leader will emerge. They simply can't allow Farage to return and a bad deal opens the door to him. You see so many saying they will vote that way if Boris fails. I don't think it will swing the Red Wall to Starmer because he is remembered for being the man behind Labour's failed Brexit policy and I don't think he's the man to win those seats back anyway with the current front bench including types that typically annoy northern Labour voters. Whilst Starmer quickly accepted it had to happen many will be wary of whether be would give more away or pave the way to rejoining. He's one of those who changes with the wind like Boris. And he has tried to put all the blame on Corbyn when he should shoulder much of it too.

Liz Truss is doing well getting the continuation deals (with some adjustments for UK markets in some) through. She could be their rising star list Boris. The others don't see to have done so well or are marred by failure and scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I wonder whether Boris cares though? Even PMs who prove themselves worthless go on the ex leaders gravy train. Does he want a legacy or simple a stepping stone to more cash?
    I think he always wanted to be a former Prime Minister - heavens, when "Shiny Dave" can command £100,000 for a single after-dinner speech, what's not to like...?

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I think he always wanted to be a former Prime Minister - heavens, when "Shiny Dave" can command £100,000 for a single after-dinner speech, what's not to like...?
    Yes, I think that's very possible. He might not mind striking a bad deal and being a pariah, just as Cameron is, when it's such a big pot of gold regardless. I wonder how Mrs May is doing though? Staying on the back benches might cut her off from the pot of gold as she will dwindle from the limelight as a backbencher rather than bow out as former leader.

It's a difficult one to call. All media is BS on this issue. Some is put out by our government (leaks, unknown commenters, etc) and the same for the EU. We just need to see what they have formed. Everything up to now isn't worth thinking about. It's hilarious how on day it's 'big concession' to 'still no movement'. Maybe some things like security, travel, etc have been resolved in the background but the big issues haven't moved much since last year.

Business would have long ago created all processes for No Deal. Still, I would hate to be waiting for an email from the government on New Year's Eve to say "yep, we're done and no agreement". Business at least needs some time to relay that message.

But don't you think we are missing one possibility for Boris? Maybe he will join the EU gravy train the way many others have and end up in some posting there instead. (not considering they may be sick of the sight of him, of course). It just wouldn't surprise me as he played both sides from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Business would have long ago created all processes for No Deal. Still, I would hate to be waiting for an email from the government on New Year's Eve to say "yep, we're done and no agreement". Business at least needs some time to relay that message.
    That's the problem - a lot of businesses still have no idea what to expect. The sticking point will be customs checks.

I have already started stockpiling a modest amount of tins and packets to get past January and notwithstanding the trots, I have enough bogroll for the same period.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    That's the problem - a lot of businesses still have no idea what to expect. The sticking point will be customs checks.

I have already started stockpiling a modest amount of tins and packets to get past January and notwithstanding the trots, I have enough bogroll for the same period.
    Indeed. They will have planned for No Deal and many will already trade outside the EU anyway. So the processes will be there but it's never a good thing to bring in a 'Friday night' system change from my experience as they can go badly wrong.

Stay as we are or No Deal can be planned for. But if between the UK & EU they come up with some halfway house deal that means new processes there will have to be some form of implementation period to allow business to get ready. That won't sit well as the EU will want paying their monthly subscription in the meantime.

I haven't read it yet but I notice Barnier has mentioned a short term No Deal period even with a deal. That won't be needed if a trade deal sticks to current zero tariffs and no paperwork (it may even end up zero tariffs with paperwork so a halfway No Deal as far as business processes go) which makes you wonder what they are all cooking up between them?

I won't stockpile but I think it's only prudent to ensure you have certain things to last you into mid-end January. And medications are one we can't help but plan for the worst on. Get your review done PM and straight down the pharmacy!

Page 181 of 183 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183 LastLast

Thread Information