Page 30 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

I didn't see the article but it was on the news and it's terrible even then if you don't count those 120k votes it's still a overall majority win for Leave the EU I don't trust any politicians anymore more like a rabbit warren if you ask me. As for second referendum no chance and I wont be voting again I have already voted on this matter job done

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Tony - have you seen the article about the 120k people who might have voted Leave that have since died? Aside from the fact they can't know anyway, it's pretty scary how far some people will sink to push for another referendum.

It did get me thinking though considering the point is that this age bracket are too old to live with their consequences of their vote (which is what they imply in such articles). They are aware how old our PM is? Surely they would have to slap an age ban on that job so as not to make real impacting decisions for the country and not be around in x years afterwards.

Talk about a rabbit hole issue. They would be banning most of the House of Lords from everything for a start! And then we have all the people having treatment for illnesses like cancer...well they can't vote either as some may not (sadly) recover. And what of the poor bloke who was run over and is lying in A&E...what about his postal vote, should we put it on hold for a bit, just in case?

Crazy stuff really. Good for a giggle though!
    Yes, its scraping barrels with that respect.
    I don't want another referendum but you are well aware that I want the Houses of Parliament to debate the Brexit, mainly because it was such a binary question and the leaving of the EU is very complex an affair if you want to maintain the current levels of import and export without huge blips.

About MIFID II, this global law firm explains various options, some of which already exist:

https://www.dlapiper.com/en/uk/insig...g-post-brexit/

I've seen other law firms writing about the Third Country Status under MIFID II and they state the same.

Why can't we agree to grandfather this in? I'm sure we can, I can't see that security council turning get us down. Why would they? In a court they would lose in spectacular fashion considering we do the majority of the finance work in the EU pre Brexit and we are implementing MIFID II as the FSA are required to because we are still in the EU.

This is set to go live before we leave. Yet all we hear from the papers, remain politicians and EU ministers is that the finance sector will lose it's passporting rights and the firms will ship off to the EU. Well they haven't yet. Could it be because the FSA understands the future? Could it be our PM does?

For the papers to be missing this crucial bargaining chip, something is wrong. Even if the EU wanted to play games, what for? Purely to profit or wreck the UK or both? Can they lean on the council to prevent our registration? Surely illegal.

The article makes a point it takes a long time to get set up. It says 30+180 days. That's nothing when we have a 2 year period to play with. We wouldn't apply as we left as surely this would be agreed by the EU for go live on that date to secure smooth transfer for the firms?

I can't recall seeing the media telling us this, it's always doom about London falling into the sea because the finance sector will leave us.

Another point made in that article is that it's still in draft. That was months ago and I seem to recall Wiki saying that was due to be formalised soon. So, they may have delayed it so we couldn't conform, a sneaky trick, but since we have to implement it until we formally leave, I can't see how they can do that unless they delayed it years.

It steps up a gear now Terrasa may is NOT invited to to discuss the Brexit etc with other EU officials and is not invited to the dinner and futher more it could be up to 10 years before we will finally leave the EU don't know the full details but it's not looking good for us folks
    Last edited by Bigboyuk; 15-12-16 at 18:58.

Good evening - I voted to leave and ever since i have had anxiety attacks with all the negative news stories - Terry how are you my friend ?

All this faffing around is so undemocratic and unfair IMHO what do others think? Cheers

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by feelthelove View Post
    Good evening - I voted to leave and ever since i have had anxiety attacks with all the negative news stories - Terry how are you my friend ?
    Hi I did too things had to change! Your Kitty is cute BTW

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    All this faffing around is so undemocratic and unfair IMHO what do others think? Cheers

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

Hi I did too things had to change! Your Kitty is cute BTW
    Thank you it isn't my real cat i will try and post one of him - he is a Maine Coon cross and beautiful .
    Just nipping out will back soon .

Thank you it isn't my real cat i will try and post one of him - he is a Maine Coon cross and beautiful .
    Just nipping out will back soon .
    Ok who's cat is it?

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

Just getting my bath then back and whats are your views what I posted about and should Article 50 be triggered soon?? Cheers
    Last edited by Bigboyuk; 15-12-16 at 23:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    It steps up a gear now Terrasa may is NOT invited to to discuss the Brexit etc with other EU officials and is not invited to the dinner and futher more it could be up to 10 years before we will finally leave the EU don't know the full details but it's not looking good for us folks
    This is something that is showing the EU in a really bad light. I can understand their need to omit here from meetings where they will be discussing their Brexit strategy but they have taken to pushing her out of main meetings too.

And the funny thing is...we haven't actually told them we are leaving yet. The public have requested we leave, Parliament will next be having their say but until Parliament vote...we aren't leaving from the point of view of the EU. So, why are we paying in yet aren't being included?

This smacks of something else to me. They get slated for things like this and they just keep adding to the evidence of their arrogance.

Tusk responding to the Tory letter stating the blame for the uncertainly of UK citizens in the EU is not of their making but of the Leave voters! Yeah, shifting the blame onto a democratic vote, well done, not at all arrogant, eh?

It won't take 10 years, it will take 2 years from when we trigger it. The EU want it to be 18 months. The problem is setting up the new agreements post Brexit. This is where the 7-10 years type stuff is coming from. The EU struggle to arrange anything, 7 years for TTIP for instance. So, this is why the government want to consider a transitional agreement to limit the damage fully leaving will do when they have to deal with a bunch of bureaucrats who can't arrange anything this side of the next ice age at the best of times!

---------- Post added at 06:19 ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    Yes, its scraping barrels with that respect.
    I don't want another referendum but you are well aware that I want the Houses of Parliament to debate the Brexit, mainly because it was such a binary question and the leaving of the EU is very complex an affair if you want to maintain the current levels of import and export without huge blips.
    Yes, it's incredibly complex but they should have thought of that in the Act they passed. They set up the question and none of them stopped to think of the mess they were creating or being complicit in creating.

Whilst I want a proper Brexit, that is to say a total separation and new trade agreements created to treat the EU like any other party we trade with around the globe, I realise it's going to be a massive task. It won't happen in 2 years, no chance. The EU alone are far too inefficient to allow a timescale like that even if we can do it. Then we also have all the other countries out there we want to set up with deals like FTA's rather than simply WTO rules. That's either a massive dept of staff working on it all at once (and a massive cost considering how much we pay these people...and how much their free lunches cost!) or it's a matter if priorities.

Both May and now Hammond have mentioned a transitional deal. This could make sense and I would support it. If this meant downgrading to the EEA whilst we set up new agreements with the EU and other countries, and then retreat from the EEA once they are ready to be signed - that would be a good strategy. It's a monumental task and it could be the making of MP's. Get this right and they will be in the history books for something huge! But something this big is bound to take time and mean lots of phases to get through.

The EU keep acting like it's of no matter to them, that's just how they are trying to play it cool or maybe it's just their usual arrogance? But they are dreaming if they think they will not feel the hit and I don't just mean our net contributor status, it will hit their trade too. Some of the EU have not been as hardline about this as Juncker & co. I think they are our hope.

Maybe we go 2 years to withdraw, go into the EEA (with a bilateral agreement with the EU or the EFTA route) for 5-7 years and then come out completely?

The problem we have is successive governments. Will they honour it? I could easily see a snidey Labour government backing out and staying in the EEA. Fortunately, Labour are flushing themselves down the toilet anyway so with a timescale like this it could be done all under the Tories since they are most likely going to win the 2020 anyway. This sounds like an election winner for them as they could appease Remain worries about the cliff edge and ease us though whilst lapping up Leave voters with the promise that they will stick to taking us out.

What do you think?

I agree with you on the Parliament say-so. A50 is a given to me, they don't need to debate that at all other than the date for triggering. They just need a vote on it. But agreeing the plans for withdrawal needs to have representation for all and so it's needs to be Parliament rather than government and Acts. That's fair enough. Obviously the likes of the LibDems will act selfishly and just through their toys out of their prams but have you noticed a couple of their MP's abstained from voting on the A50 motion? I don't think Tim quite has the support he things he has.

---------- Post added at 06:24 ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 ----------

Hi FTL,

It's nice to hear from you. How are you?

I'm fine thanks. Busy with Xmas shopping though, thank god it's nearly done!

I know what you mean, change & uncertainty are big things for us lot and you don't get much less certain than all this mess! The news is very biased towards doom & gloom at the moment and they seem to be failing to report everything we need to know.

The pound is like we anxiety sufferers, change = fear, fear = symptoms and we struggle. The stock market likes certainty & stability and anything other than this and it sinks until the norm is returned. Plus the pound has been said to have been over valued for years anyway. Things will pick up as the government start to get things moving and show them what they intend to do. Literally a senior minister, or the PM, giving a speech can cause the stock market to rise or fall, it's that fickle!

TBH MyNameIsTerry Actually for me I don't understand why she is allowed in the mettings as we are still in the EU. The upto 10 years before we leave the EU is nothing to do with article 50 which once in place it will be max like you say 2 years (I knew that) the 10 year thing is so I heard it could take upto 10 years before a satisfactory 'Trade Deal' is set up. In my book Article 50 needs to be done now The british public are being taken for a ride And there's not a lot that can be done is there?

Page 30 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread Information