Page 59 of 183 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

A constitution should only protect core values and it is right that it is hard to change. I believe we should have one.

The problem for me is if they reflect values prior to our time. Look at the US with the 2nd Amendment.

They also have to be very strict on protection of minorities. What is right should be coming before people's beliefs in many cases e.g. justice.

Maybe it will come one day? Having one might add protection for NI residents too who have less rights than we do on the mainland.

I don't know I just like the idea of something more entrenched to protect core values and minorities e.g. freedom from discrimination, right to personal dignity, access to medical care, marriage or civil partnership regardless of gender or sexuality. If we're not in EU we should think about starting our own. Have more referendums on the Constitution.

I think you are right in many ways with this because we often feel so remote from our politicians and this would force certain subjects to be open to public scrutiny.

Interestingly, if we had a constitution we might have had votes on joining the EU in the first place. I wonder whether this would have worked out better as we could have had a say and maybe treaties be tweaked because of it? Blair kicked the can down the road, Major too, Brown later and by then it was a great big mess with a lot of antipathy.

It also raises an interesting question as to how our politicians would behave. They don't want us to leave the EU and have arrogantly avoided the issue for many years knowing they were safe. A constitution like ROI's would make them work harder over this.

Another interesting question would then be about the outcome. How many, including politicians, are calling for the referendum vote to be ignored as Parliament should decide it's the wrong call? So, constitutions raise some interesting problems too.

What if the US had a vote on guns and they voted for the status quo? Do the politicians leave things as is or do they decide when something is too harmful despite public voting? But that's very sticky country for a democracy. The same can be argued for Brexit, overturn it due to the potential for economic damage, but in the case of guns it's much easier to understand why overriding a vote may be necessary. The same with ROI who could have voted for abortion to remain illegal, refuse gay marriage, etc. But to be honest the abortion debate in ROI is something I dislike about their constitution as it's a no brainer to me that some level of abortion is needed anyway and felt like discrimination due to religious heritage.

But protecting the NHS would be a good one to stop privatisation. Civil partnership regardless of gender or sexuality would be good too. Not forgetting traditional British core values i.e. tea drinking daily, queueing, moaning (and moaning about queueing whilst happily joining another queue to have another good moan about it later )

Would we survive regular referendums? How do the Swiss do it? We'd explode

Bye bye, Mrs May. Here comes the takeover bid. I wonder if we will be treated to yet again another GE? And can Labour pull themselves our of their own mess (which might involve them giving some actual answers for once )

What a mess!

Ah, I see Boris resigns. How principled. Yawn. Maybe now he can go lie down in front of a tractor to stop Heathrow T5.

Davis went the day before too. I'm not sure he even still needed to turn up to work anyway?

I don't think Boris wants the job during Brexit anyway. Remember his face the day of the result?

Although it does at least make a change that they are resigning without having to sexually abuse or racially abuse someone first! (Didn't all that just get swept under the carpet by all parties after the media furore? )

There's a poll showing May has taken a major loss in public support post chequers speech. That may open the door to her sacking.

I'm still not sure whether she is incompetent or clever? Has she sat on her hands for two years knowing it could all be fudged?

Brexit is a poisoned chalice, and we get all the crap from the opposition like they could handle it better. Whoever takes it up will have a difficult time.

Yep, there's no unity anywhere. May might limp through with enough votes but if the polls now start to show she has lost public support she may find the rats will desert the sinking ship.

Politics seems to be the opposition throwing crap at the government then they get in and the new opposition do the same and you end up with opposition parties quite comically moaning the government are failing when it was them that implemented something in a previous government. And it's all very children behaviour you would easily be disciplined & sacked for anywhere else.

The PM can get a good deal and go down in history a hero or fail and go down as one of the worst in modern times. Even a better UK will be criticised by either end of the polarised remain/leave hardcore.

One thing is certain though, Cameron goes down in history as the coward who ran when the going got tough. Onto the ex PM gravy train like the rest

So this long sorry tail set in motion by Cameron over two years ago finally starts to draw to a close!

Davis, Johnson and Rees-Mogg playing their end game. No matter what May delivered they were going to do this.

Allowing your party leader to make a statement on cabinet unity on Friday then set in motion two resignations is treachery of the highest order and set in motion turmoil that doesn’t serve the British people regardless of remain or leave but only benefit those individuals in their own quest for power.

Page 59 of 183 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread Information