Page 60 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Yep, there's no unity anywhere. May might limp through with enough votes but if the polls now start to show she has lost public support she may find the rats will desert the sinking ship.

Politics seems to be the opposition throwing crap at the government then they get in and the new opposition do the same and you end up with opposition parties quite comically moaning the government are failing when it was them that implemented something in a previous government. And it's all very children behaviour you would easily be disciplined & sacked for anywhere else.

The PM can get a good deal and go down in history a hero or fail and go down as one of the worst in modern times. Even a better UK will be criticised by either end of the polarised remain/leave hardcore.

One thing is certain though, Cameron goes down in history as the coward who ran when the going got tough. Onto the ex PM gravy train like the rest
    Completely agree.

Cameron ran away, absolutely, posed a useless Yes/No question, lost and scarpered off.

However we now have even more folks unable to compromise on Brexit within the Cabinet ( on what is a hard Brexit proposal ) and equally running away.

The whole Parliament failed to revise the Referendum Act. They are all to blame for the lack of legislation around "advisory" and how scant it all was, no majority qualifier, etc. Otherwise they are so incompetent as to raise some very serious concerns over them voting on all but the most basic of legislation.

Corbyn has ran away too, just from any debate or holding the government to account. I think it's going to have to get really dire for any strategy of letting the Tories mess it up swing a Labour win. Voters aren't that stupid, they will remember his ineptness. But given even Momentum are now seeing through him over Brexit they may dump him for a less negatively viewed leader.

I wish we had a credible Centre party. I think this whole Brexit thing was to appease the Eurosceptics in the Tory party.

Agreed. I think a centre party would destroy the Tories. There would a lot of support. Even Corbyn would have more support with a better front bench.

Cameron was said to be trying to halt the march of UKIP. It has, just not in the way he intended.

People were unhappy over not having a vote on the EU and Cameron made the pledge. Unfortunately for him, he followed it up. Blair promised it earlier then decided to backtrack once elected.

Blair involved with a centre party might be too tainted for many though. I wish he would disappear, he's toxic to everything he touches. Give up your EU presidency dream, Blair. I'm sure he will continue to make money out of other misery though, probably that he caused.

Blair started off well, got carried away, and misled on Iraq. I don't think he realises quite how unpopular that made him.

I think Blair has a huge ego. Bit of a narcissist. He did some good things and some bad and then there is Iraq which will remain his final nail in the coffin.

Two more ministers resigned. Sounds like they fronted it out at Chequers then had some chats in the bar about the future. May could get some advice off Corbyn, he's well skilled at reshuffling

Interesting that Barnier has commented that 80% of the divorce is settled and now he will move onto an "ambitious trade deal". Previously he said the only deals were those already in existence...but that's just negotiating BS. It will be interesting to hear if they will change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantMogwai View Post
    I wish we had a credible Centre party. I think this whole Brexit thing was to appease the Eurosceptics in the Tory party.
    The Lib Dems are centrist in theory
    Competent, well, thats hard to say?

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    The Lib Dems are centrist in theory
    Competent, well, thats hard to say?
    The way I categorise the Lib Dems is probably unfair. The student party. The party with quite a few sensible policies but always with at least one that stands out as completely unattainable or cuckoo. The wishy-washy party. The yellow party which translates to banana, breakfast, or cowardice. They need to reinvent themselves and need to get more realistic about their pipe dream policies, and I might well vote for them.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantMogwai View Post
    The way I categorise the Lib Dems is probably unfair. The student party. The party with quite a few sensible policies but always with at least one that stands out as completely unattainable or cuckoo. The wishy-washy party. The yellow party which translates to banana, breakfast, or cowardice. They need to reinvent themselves and need to get more realistic about their pipe dream policies, and I might well vote for them.
    And often seen as the party for the middle classes who aren't Tory.

They aren't credible. Despite more seats their vote share was much lower than UKIP pre last GE. They are the party of certain areas, generally middle class, and don't try to appeal outside of this.

They are concentrated in areas fighting for the scraps rather than trying to fight for the prize.

Cable's bitterness towards the older generation made him look a bigot. He was clearly trying to "get down with the kids" to steal Corbyn younger voters and it has failed dismally. But given how he helped scalp the students when he was actually in a position of power that's hardly unlikely.

Before him it was Fallon, a man who's personal beliefs made him seem at odds with the word "liberal" but to be fair to him he had a good voting record, far better than Tories. He just came across as an angry idiot.

Their insistence to ignore Brexit was a vote killer. They thought it would scoop up Remain voters as they believed all the online fighting yet failed to realise mote moderate voters realise there is a slippery slope in ignoring the very referendum they all called because they lacked the backbone to tell the public they can't have a say.

Where even is Cable? Corbyn gets trashed for not holding the government to account yet let's not forget the only other party with any clout have just disappeared (not considering Scottish & NI political parties).
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 11-07-18 at 04:47.

Page 60 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread Information