Page 64 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

Perhaps Jean Claude Juncker could be persuaded to walk past every white gravestone in Normandy and say a personal "thank you" to all the British, American and Commonwealth soldiers who gave their lives so Europe could be free!

He should also be reminded that Britain had to borrow billions from the US in 1945 to fund this freedom!

It took the Britush taxpayer 61 years to repay it. Maybe we should ask the EU to repay that, along with all the interest from the borrowing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post
    Perhaps Jean Claude Juncker could be persuaded to walk past every white gravestone in Normandy and say a personal "thank you" to all the British, American and Commonwealth soldiers who gave their lives so Europe could be free!

He should also be reminded that Britain had to borrow billions from the US in 1945 to fund this freedom!

It took the Britush taxpayer 61 years to repay it. Maybe we should ask the EU to repay that, along with all the interest from the borrowing!!!
    Brilliant!

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:01 ----------

Umm...did hell just freeze over?

https://www.breitbart.com/london/201...istian-bakers/

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Brilliant!

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:01 ----------

Umm...did hell just freeze over?

https://www.breitbart.com/london/201...istian-bakers/
    Yeah, I think Peter Tattershall makes a good point in this case that people need to remember.

Like the judges stated, it wasn't the customer they objected to it was the message on the cake. Companies refuse things that don't fit in with their standards for all sorts of reasons.

I'm sure there would be similar uproar over religious messages requested on cakes if they were against the owners beliefs.

---------- Post added at 02:47 ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 ----------

We could the aggressors to pay for it Didn't they get away with far less of a bill due to the good faith of other nations? And now they refuse to contribute their share to NATO all whilst making lots of dosh in business.

---------- Post added at 03:00 ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    The CBI et al are warning of the dire consequences of the migrant labour pool drying up after Brexit (when?). What this amounts to is certain businesses losing cheap, underpaid workers out of whom they profit disproportionately – a sort of acquiescent, consensual truck-system workforce. If those businesses cannot be reasonably profitable when paying real, living wages to their workers, then they’re not genuine businesses.

A company director told me British workers won’t do work considered to be demeaning because we all believe we’re middle-class nowadays. I suggested if he was prepared to pay more, surely that would overcome any reluctance. He was apoplectic at my suggestion, saying why should he pay more just for skivvies!
    So, a company director who would pay us in jelly beans if the law allowed him to?

I do love all this "Brits won't do menial jobs anymore so they get immigrants to do it" crap. Is this a Southern thing (Matt/Tony?) Around here the jobs I've seen some carp on about in London (fast food, coffee shops, etc) are where all students go.

And we have plenty of white British (and any other colour British) cleaners around here. And care home workers on the travesty that is zero hour contracts.

Demeaning? Try working in a call centre getting shouted at all day long for stuff the bosses cause for poor pay. Office jobs are bottom of the barrel like retail and poorly paid. That's because we have agencies creaming it all. And look who are the ones bringing in busloads of cheap labour from the continent?

It makes me laugh. When you leave school you get a shit job. That's life. Are we talking about uni students or something that expect more? Around here they won't as degrees are pretty meaningless and they work in the same jobs in call centres as the rest.

I have zero sympathy for the issue that is low paid immigrant labour all for industries that don't want to pay proper wages. Immigrant or not, the wages should be proper.

There is a valid issue within this though, cheapness of products. We now expect everything dirt cheap but unfortunately this comes with the cost of the cheaper labour. So, we may have to expect some increases if we want a fairer society. Yet I've seen any number of Remain voters complaining they don't want to see price increases due to something like Brexit (or a Corbyn style government) because they expect it all stull cheap!

Well that's got nothing to do with Brexit, that's all about people's greed. These are the same types that would whinge to high heaven if their taxes were increased if it meant a better society e.g. more money for the NHS. Typical "alright Jack" types. They want their holidays more than they care about people suffering.

Tony mentioned earlier about how lucky we are to be born in such a country. There are a number of core things we can be grateful for that we really do want but they aren't the latest iPads. For those who complain "why should I pay for others when I don't need the service" it just astounds me they can't get it that someday they might.

There is so much tat we really don't need. But good health and people to help us in our old age is vital to me.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 11-10-18 at 03:07.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post

So, a company director who would pay us in jelly beans if the law allowed him to?

I do love all this "Brits won't do menial jobs anymore so they get immigrants to do it" crap. Is this a Southern thing (Matt/Tony?) Around here the jobs I've seen some carp on about in London (fast food, coffee shops, etc) are where all students go.

Tony mentioned earlier about how lucky we are to be born in such a country. There are a number of core things we can be grateful for that we really do want but they aren't the latest iPads. For those who complain "why should I pay for others when I don't need the service" it just astounds me they can't get it that someday they might.
    1. I don't think its a Southern thing, I think its been an opportunistic thing in some industries where a Worker is not valued beyond him adding to the companies bottom line. Lincolnshire farm workers, Yorkshire winkle pickers etc. If you paid a Living wage there are British Workers who would take these jobs. What they don't want is to be undervalued and sero hour contracts unless they work on the workers terms , which sometimes zero hour contracts can. In Norfolk where I live we do have some seasonal workers in the holiday industry that are paid such that things like very cheap accommodation are taken out of wages at a profit to the Bosses !!!!

2. Yes, the whole point of being a civilised society is that we look after everyone as best our resources allow us. So if there are services you do not need to use just be thankful you do not need to use them. Im still cross about the selling off of council houses as they existed for a reason. That reason didnt dissapear with the offloading of those resources !!!

I would like to have a word with David Cameron about all this! He calls a referendum, then he just fu#ks off! "Oh by then!" And we're all so open mouthed about the result, we forget to kick his fu##ing teeth in on his way out of Downing Street!

So he fu#ks off and leaves one of the most complicated and challenging political maneuvers in British political history to Theresa May and she's a remainer pretending to care passionately about Brexit, when she didn't even vote for it.

---------- Post added at 15:39 ---------- Previous post was at 14:30 ----------

Oh yes and these day's the word Brexit normally comes part and parcel with some sort of post apocalyptic story of a no deal Brexit, where the planes are grounded, the army are called in to deal with civil war in Ireland, a mass outbreak of gonnorhea and a shortage of sperm because most of our jizz is imported from EU countries!!!!! Lol

I would like to have a word with David Cameron about all this! He calls a referendum, then he just fu#ks off! "Oh by then!" And we're all so open mouthed about the result, we forget to kick his fu##ing teeth in on his way out of Downing Street!

So he fu#ks off and leaves one of the most complicated and challenging political maneuvers in British political history to Theresa May and she's a remainer pretending to care passionately about Brexit, when she didn't even vote for it.

---------- Post added at 15:39 ---------- Previous post was at 14:30 ----------

Oh yes and these day's the word Brexit normally comes part and parcel with some sort of post apocalyptic story of a no deal Brexit, where the planes are grounded, the army are called in to deal with civil war in Ireland, a mass outbreak of gonnorhea and a shortage of sperm because most of our jizz is imported from EU countries!!!!! Lol
    I hear you @BikerMatt
    Im soooo cross with David Cameron and his Binary choice referendum, a referendum he only had because he thought he could win and it would shore him up within the Tory party - for his personal political gain

Im soooo cross with Boris Johnson who lead the Leave campaign, lied on the bus, lied about his Brexit convictions and then he made the cowardly manouvere at Chequers where he ducked out of any of the responsibility and now hes playing political games with Brexit and with the Nation - for his own political gain

Theresa May, I sort of feel sorry for her, as no Deal she does was going to please Farage, Johnson, Rees-Mogg et al ........ We all know that Brexit has to be a compromise in order for both sides to agree AND I think we all know that a No Deal whilst providing great profit generation for the already rich will be a nightmare for the folks who will see jobs dissapear and inward investment dry us as International companies relocate. Manufacturing will implode as what was just in time frictionless supply chains become friction and expensive supply chains

Its such a potential mess
    BUT we do really need a Deal of some sort

Great Britain can thrive but the politicians are doing their bext to ensure that we have a 25+ year hangover post Brexit !!!!!!

and a shortage of sperm because most of our jizz is imported from EU countries!!!!! Lol
    We should listen to the concerns of sperms more often. For ages they have been warning us about the dangers of increasing nationalism and it's impact on their Freedom Of Movement.

But they have also warned us about extending freedom too far ("no, not daylight again!") and long before the youth complaints about the housing crisis sperms were struggling to find a home in a seller's (ovaries) market with older sperms telling them to work harder to reach their goals.

---------- Post added at 02:00 ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Terry, “...people to help us in our old age…” Be careful what you wish for…..
    Well I didn't mean in a Soylent Green way

---------- Post added at 02:07 ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    1. I don't think its a Southern thing, I think its been an opportunistic thing in some industries where a Worker is not valued beyond him adding to the companies bottom line. Lincolnshire farm workers, Yorkshire winkle pickers etc. If you paid a Living wage there are British Workers who would take these jobs. What they don't want is to be undervalued and sero hour contracts unless they work on the workers terms , which sometimes zero hour contracts can. In Norfolk where I live we do have some seasonal workers in the holiday industry that are paid such that things like very cheap accommodation are taken out of wages at a profit to the Bosses !!!!

2. Yes, the whole point of being a civilised society is that we look after everyone as best our resources allow us. So if there are services you do not need to use just be thankful you do not need to use them. Im still cross about the selling off of council houses as they existed for a reason. That reason didnt dissapear with the offloading of those resources !!!
    Sorry, I might have been a bit unclear in my question. I meant are low paid jobs disproportionately skewed towards immigrants as opposed to Brits and the young? For instance, working in coffee shops or take aways like KFC, McD's, etc. That's an argument I have seen about London and how they will struggle to staff jobs like this.

I agree about how cheap labour is exploited all over the UK. My brother has been working in warehousing since he left the pottery industry and he has seen how it has changed to large incoming numbers of imported EU labour through agencies. He moved up to Yorkshire and has found the same there.

That's all about opportunistic bosses and a new area agencies have moved into. The latter only exist to make money. The former are in control of the wages. But then agencies make a lot of money off companies and much of that never makes it to the employees.

This is where the EU works for them, they can easily get busloads in then dump them out again. My brother said the workplace became problematic due to conduct issues including some employees followed home and beaten up. The management weren't very interested about all this and gave the impression such issues were controlled by the agency rather than them. That's worrying as all agencies will do is shift poor labour around as employers will never know they are taking on problem workers.

---------- Post added at 02:28 ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 ----------

Boris just wants what's best for him. And May was very quiet during the Remain campaign she was supposed to be supporting which has led to speculation she was a secret Leaver but I think others may be right when they speculate she is just like Boris. And I don't for a minute believe Corbyn voted Remain given his political career has been against the EU but then he's got more splinters in his arse than a wicker man.

---------- Post added at 02:34 ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    whilst providing great profit generation for the already rich will be a nightmare for the folks who will see jobs dissapear and inward investment dry us as International companies relocate. Manufacturing will implode
    The trouble is, Remain causes it too. Remain backing big business (the banks being a good example) make huge profits and laugh at us. Big businesses take a dump on the countries they are in by shipping in cheap labour. Some countries have experienced "brain drains" leaving them in serious trouble with their economies.

The EU fails to address all this. If it did there would be a lot more support but do the politicians care when they are making money or getting their ideology satisfied?

Globalisation is also responsible.

Now the new climate change report is out telling us we are knackered anyway and the Paris Accord isn't enough perhaps we can go full sci-fi and start culling those unlucky enough to find themselves outside of the benefits of all this stuff?

Yes there is plenty of scaremongering, but thats mainly coming from the Government.
    The negatives that I'm normally talking about are the affects of No Deal on supply chains etc that Businesses have begun to speak up about.

Im going to hoard Camembart I think !!!!

They had better not stop this stuff getting in...

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    They had better not stop this stuff getting in...

Page 64 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread Information