Page 65 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

Vince Cable continues in his efforts to make the LibDems look even more ridiculous:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...-cable-claims/

During a visit to Brussels on Thursday for talks with EU Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier, Sir Vince told the Telegraph: “As British society falls apart it could pose a risk to Strictly.”

It does make you wonder how the rest of the countries on planet earth come here for work.

The problems with the immigration service themselves are just that, a dept in need of a major kick up the backside.

Somehow though I doubt we will experience the society falling apart. It won't be mass rioting, Mad Max style road warriors, etc

---------- Post added at 02:36 ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Alan Amstrad – sorry – Lord Sugar said this week that if he’d taken the job of leading the Brexit debate for the remoaners then they would have won (no arrogance there, then!). He added that because he didn’t, he’d been “kicking himself” ever since. Well, I suppose that saves someone else from having to do it… Please form an orderly queue!
    Reminiscent of any bloke walking away after an altercation saying (in safety) to his mate "If you had said one more thing I would have had him"

I wonder if Sugar would have ran it as one of his Apprentice exercises? Here's £1k, go and make me some money.

---------- Post added at 05:32 ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 ----------

Whilst on the subject of LibDems, or ex in this case, I heard Nick Clegg has picked up a role at Facebook. He should get on well with the owner given he's prone to political whining and blaming others.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Well, Brexit must really be happening! There's a commemorative 50 pence coin being minted, so that proves it - no going back now!

Yes, they have the priorities for Brexit sorted don't they.
    Festival of Brexit - check
    Commemorative 50p piece - check
    Deal - ?!?!?!?

Hang on, doesn't something have to happen before you commemorate it?

Did they commission it two years ago thinking it would have all been done by now?

Theresa did try to end date the negotiations in a Bill that got shot down so maybe this coin is a new deadline?

Nigel Farage pulling his trousers down with his arse facing the mainland? Possibly with a Union Jack on the side of one buttock, or the Queen's face

Will the coin depend on the allegiance of the person overseeing it's production? If so, perhaps these themes will appear with the heads changed on them to match the politicians of Brexit:

Leave

Remain

...and a final Python tribute for Mrs May...

...as for Mr Juncker...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06kgv15

Before Iraq I liked Tony Blair as a Leader, he certainly had Leadership qualities unlike the current sh1tshow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04...pisodes/player

I was feeling sorry for Theresa May but Im not sure I do now.

Remember the mantra “no deal is better than a bad deal”? It started soon after Article 50 was triggered and many - including myself who voted remain - expected that the Govt had actually examined what a no deal would entail before coming out with such a brazen soundbite. Today’s stories of panic planning in govt depts and law enforcement suggest that, mere months from the deadline, this possibility is still only now dawning amongst those in charge.

The warring wings of the Tory party, coupled with the fanatical DUP, are in a pact of mutually assured destruction if the PM makes any meaningful compromise. Despite this, none of them will risk giving up power, so there will be no general election nor a further referendum before the deadline. Corbyn’s Labour party long since voted away Parliament’s right to stop or check Brexit. The “meaningful vote” has been shown as the emperor’s new clothes many suspected at the time. And before we feel sympathy for the PM’s position, remember that it was she who first voiced that prophetic line about “no deal is better than a bad deal”.

It's always been about who blinks first. The EU aren't budging and neither are we. NI remains a big sticking point and one many on the mainland won't care about as much. For NI to stop us leaving is going to make some people very unhappy and would it surprise you if a movement to get NI to rejoin ROI (but from a non NI party) started up?

The trouble with a GE is that that's a British issue, it's not the EU's problem. From there point of view they could say why should they waste more time and money on us.

If Corbyn voted to stop Brexit he would kiss goodbye to the north where he needs to build bridges as he's losing seats to Tories for the first time in Labour's history. He's very "London Labour" and doesn't have the same rep up here.

The thing about not having any research is something I place on the government in Cameron's time. To a degree May stepped into a big dog poo of a mess. It would either kill her career or cement her in the history books.

I think the issue with the police is a red herring. Why does security info sharing depend on a Customs Union of any kind? Why can't we agree to take that out of the mix for now? It impacts on a final deal, not what happens in a transition period where we are considering leaving most things in alignment anyway.

But one question to always ask yourself. Do we trust the media? Remember, Trump has supposed to have glassed the planet over 2 years ago... Can we trust them not to be making things sound much worse than they are?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    But one question to always ask yourself. Do we trust the media? Remember, Trump has supposed to have glassed the planet over 2 years ago... Can we trust them not to be making things sound much worse than they are?
    @Terry, not quite sure what you mean by this, 'glassed the planet' is not a phrase Im familiar with

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    @Terry, not quite sure what you mean by this, 'glassed the planet' is not a phrase Im familiar with
    Sci Fi term for nuking a planet (usual an aerial/orbital bombardment). See it used in films such as Starship Troopers.

Although if it were a Mel Brooks the spaceship might convert into a giant Trump thrusting a broken glass into the planet...in Spaceballs tradition

Page 65 of 183 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread Information