Page 93 of 183 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast

Thread: the EU & the UK

Re: the EU & the UK

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    A whopping 4m calling via petition to revoke A50. Or a mere 12% of those who voted in the only real poll of any note to the rest of us
    The petition though impressive is meaningless
    At the moment what we need is a less intransigent PM who can mold a deal before April 12th, I dont have much faith
    Im anti 2nd referendum but Im even more anti No Deal Brexit as even though people try to seel WTO rules, WTO rules will be a disaster for us in the short to medium term and sadly the damage is then done

I think the Peoples Vote march was again impressive but meaningless really
    We need the PM and Parliament to just get this f'ing sorted

[QUOTE=Lola-Lee;1864666]
    Maybe they have created a new list of people expected to bugger off when Brexit comes to pass? You know what governments are like with lists and figure fudging.

I don't especially buy the skilled labour argument anyway. We can set rules to let them in and turn away car washers as other countries do quite successfully. And in the medical world it's countries like Australia, Canada, NZ, etc who are grabbing our doctors...not Poland, Hungary..or even Germany.
    As if we will be holding up bankers, lawyers and other trades that grease up to MP's

No over here most of our Dr’s are from India,Sri Lanka,Iraq and Iran they work a lot in regional areas,where a lot of Aussie Docs and English won’t go,there poor pale skin can’t handle the heat....the pussies

Possibly more to Canada and NZ then? But we've been told for years our junior doctors and GP's are fleeing in droves to these countries.

Interesting "buy back" policy on the go though:

https://www.news.com.au/national/aus...a1e1b8c28af5c7

They certainly aren't using their Freedom Of Movement to head into the rest of the EU though
    https://www.news.com.au/national/aus...a1e1b8c28af5c7

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    The petition though impressive is meaningless
    Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    At the moment what we need is a less intransigent PM who can mold a deal before April 12th, I dont have much faith
    Im anti 2nd referendum but Im even more anti No Deal Brexit as even though people try to seel WTO rules, WTO rules will be a disaster for us in the short to medium term and sadly the damage is then done

I think the Peoples Vote march was again impressive but meaningless really
    We need the PM and Parliament to just get this f'ing sorted

Clicking a link is easy, turning up is another matter. So, really more 3%. Petitions have their uses for those willing to go the extra mile to push with supporters but I don't think it's helpful in cases like this. It's more protest voting than trying to really achieve something better.

Corbyn is getting a bashing for not turning up though. He spent his day looking at local issues for real people. Is it refreshing to see the locals matter for once rather than our usual Londoners? Doesn't it feel better someone gives a monkey's about the plebs rather than just the metropolitans? Perhaps he has put enough into this farce and getting on with some other issues might be nice?

I think no matter what Brexit will dominate the next couple of governments as people seek to improve/change or just go back in completely. I doubt we will be rid of all this for another 10 years, sadly. Hopefully that won't mean all the other issues rot as the MP's argue over the EU.

Yes it is nice to hear that Corbyn is dealing with local issues, but he wants that broadcasted for the popularity vote. I'm not a fan of Corbyn, but it's hard to be a fan of any Parliament member these days.
    In my opinion it is mainly the local people that deal with local issues anyway. It's been that way for some time.
    London is rife with the homeless, immigrants, drug dealing, prostitution, gangs and poverty. It's not the bees knees that is portrayed on TV. A lot of it is rough and very dangerous. :(
    Petitions can always be tampered with. A bit like trip advisor. How many restaurant reviews are actually genuine? And like you say Terry, won't have any bearing on the final decision. That lies within Parliament first and foremost, then which ever way it goes, there will be protests following their decision.
    Both sides are frustrated and angered by the whole affair.
    10 years wouldn't be an exaggeration Terry, it's a realistic forecast.

Mays control over Government & her Party has gone
    April 12th is pretty close and I have no faith she can sort a Deal in time for the extension, I dont want a No Deal so I guess Im after a longer extension now Im afraid, not because Im pushing for Remain but because I want an orderly Brexit
    Whips I believe may quit if May goes back with the same deal a 3rd time
    The Party is furious from root to branch & at the moment in some areas the root & branch want to unseat Remain Tories and are plotting to do so
    Her Cabinet may get to see 7 different options before the next meaningful vote, ffs what are these & options
    Aparrently at the same time as all the above Liddington is pushing for indicative votes to understand what the Commons thinks across all its MPs

All the while instead of fiddling while Rome burns like Nero, Theresa May is faffing whilst the UK burns

She sticks to her deal = she gets crucified.
    She goes soft Brexit (EFTA or CU) = she gets crucified.
    She goes hard No Deal = she gets crucified.
    She revokes A50 = she gets crucified.

There is no option which will sort this out. At some point someone is going to have to force something through and take the political flack for it.

Parliament, that's all of them are at fault for not deciding that sometimes you have to decide it's done and concentrate on what comes next. All of them, May included, are culpable for all of this nonsense. Timing out into No Deal seems very possible...regardless of the moronic removing of No Deal from a UK perspective which ties the EU into a permanent deadlock with a state that refuses to leave after formally stating it is.

Perhaps that is the kick up the back side needed to focus minds?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Yes it is nice to hear that Corbyn is dealing with local issues, but he wants that broadcasted for the popularity vote. I'm not a fan of Corbyn, but it's hard to be a fan of any Parliament member these days.
    In my opinion it is mainly the local people that deal with local issues anyway. It's been that way for some time.
    London is rife with the homeless, immigrants, drug dealing, prostitution, gangs and poverty. It's not the bees knees that is portrayed on TV. A lot of it is rough and very dangerous. :(
    Petitions can always be tampered with. A bit like trip advisor. How many restaurant reviews are actually genuine? And like you say Terry, won't have any bearing on the final decision. That lies within Parliament first and foremost, then which ever way it goes, there will be protests following their decision.
    Both sides are frustrated and angered by the whole affair.
    10 years wouldn't be an exaggeration Terry, it's a realistic forecast.
    True, the big hats only breeze through when they want a vote or to look good on the box. Local issues are always resolved by the locals.

I wonder if London has ever been much different or whether it's the media making it sound like the end of the world? The knife attacks dominate yet no one cares about all the others around the country...and there is plenty gang culture elsewhere.

Yep, bots can fake petitions easily. Some people even sign them so they can place a negative opinion about the petition and it will be counted as a supporter.

I don't believe in the "People's Vote" anyway. It's disingenuous. All the people want is a May's Deal vs Remain. But what of the Tony's on here who want a softer option? Sorry Tony, you don't get the choice. What of the No Dealers? Sorry, no choice. What of those who would support EFTA? Sorry mate, no choice.

If there was to be any voting it needs to be representative of all but this "People's Vote" BS is about pitting hardcore Leave vs Remain. This leaves more moderates voters who will settle for an in between left with a choice between the too. I'm not fond of May's deal but if I vote Remain I know they will slam the door shut on the original decision to Leave. Any vote should be about Mays Deal vs Coming Up With A New Idea. That way we can have further binary voting on Corbyn's Deal, EFTA, CETA+, etc? Well, in theory, but it's too complicated for referendums as they should be binary Yes/No's.

So, I'm left having to vote for May's deal because there is no guarantee if we reject it that it will be interpreted as a reject of the deal itself...it will be used by many slippery snakes to imply we want to stay in as we have changed our minds

Interesting comment reported at the end of the recent EU meeting. Allegedly Merkel asked someone to look into how they honour the GFA under No Deal, something we've all been told isn't possible

London has always had knife crime as long as I can remember, but it's more to the forefront.
    Mum and Dad banned me from going to certain areas and they become permanently labelled as rough.
    It annoys me to that other parts of the country don't get the coverage of crime like London, but it doesn't mean the people are not aware of that. We all know or have relations scattered all over the country, so we are in touch despite lack of coverage.

Pain, you managed to put in to words very well, what my feelings are on the situation.

Page 93 of 183 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast

Thread Information