Thread: How do you know if you've had a panic attack?

How do you know if you've had a panic attack?

I suffer with GAD and sometimes get quite panicky feeling but how do I know if this is an ACTUAL panic attack?

Re: How do you know if you've had a panic attack?

Did you feel panic?

The definition of panic: sudden uncontrollable fear or anxiety, often causing wildly unthinking behavior.

Now think of it this way: you're drowning but you're not in any water and theres no bodies of water for miles yet you have trouble breathing, you can't think you just feel like you need to DO, do what? RUN, PACE, SCREAM, HIDE, CRY. The adrenaline is pumping and your heart is racing so fast. There might even be some chest pain and shortness of breath, thats why some think they're having a heart attack. Its just sudden INTENSE fear, it ignites the fight or flight response to a severely high level almost instantly.

Anxiety is rough and Panic is usually the result of anxiety/depression however it usually happens in periodic episodes and CAN be easily overcome by not reacting in a way that the panic would want you to i.e. not running or screaming, crying etc. when you feel the need to.

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

To further add to this I'll share a story:

I was driving home from a simple day out with my wife. The drive home lasted around 20 minutes or so. However, 10 minutes into the drive this fear ignited in me out of nowhere, I felt INTENSE FEAR, PARANOIA, I thought for sure I was going to die, very irrational. I was the one driving too. Usually I'd pull over and pace, wait for it to subside, freaking out etc.

However, this time I said nope, kept driving, feeling my heart rate going up, breathing getting quicker, face getting flush but I kept driving, not less than 5 minutes later that all left and I was FINE. I was almost shocked like what? Its gone?

See by ignoring the symptoms and just going about my task I was able to shut the panic up and beat it at its own game. Thats all it is most times, finding the way to just ignore the feelings and move on.

After I figured that out, the attacks became less frequent and less intense until eventually stopped altogether. Somedays they come up and I recognize them and it usually only takes a NO to stop it right then and there and move on anxiety free.

Quote Originally Posted by Holds1325 View Post
    Did you feel panic?

The definition of panic: sudden uncontrollable fear or anxiety, often causing wildly unthinking behavior.

Now think of it this way: you're drowning but you're not in any water and theres no bodies of water for miles yet you have trouble breathing, you can't think you just feel like you need to DO, do what? RUN, PACE, SCREAM, HIDE, CRY. The adrenaline is pumping and your heart is racing so fast. There might even be some chest pain and shortness of breath, thats why some think they're having a heart attack. Its just sudden INTENSE fear, it ignites the fight or flight response to a severely high level almost instantly.

Anxiety is rough and Panic is usually the result of anxiety/depression however it usually happens in periodic episodes and CAN be easily overcome by not reacting in a way that the panic would want you to i.e. not running or screaming, crying etc. when you feel the need to.

I was driving home from a simple day out with my wife. The drive home lasted around 20 minutes or so. However, 10 minutes into the drive this fear ignited in me out of nowhere, I felt INTENSE FEAR, PARANOIA, I thought for sure I was going to die, very irrational. I was the one driving too. Usually I'd pull over and pace, wait for it to subside, freaking out etc.

However, this time I said nope, kept driving, feeling my heart rate going up, breathing getting quicker, face getting flush but I kept driving, not less than 5 minutes later that all left and I was FINE. I was almost shocked like what? Its gone?

See by ignoring the symptoms and just going about my task I was able to shut the panic up and beat it at its own game. Thats all it is most times, finding the way to just ignore the feelings and move on.

After I figured that out, the attacks became less frequent and less intense until eventually stopped altogether. Somedays they come up and I recognize them and it usually only takes a NO to stop it right then and there and move on anxiety free.
    Thank you ! Your post made me hopeful. I will bookmark it for reference

Everyone's panic attacks vary but here are classic symptoms:

1. Racing heart/palpitations/skipped heartbeats: Please note they are NOT HARMFUL. Most people get even more frightened because they are scared they are going to have a heart attack, faint, pass out. Keep in mind that if you are truly having a heart attack, your racing heart will not race, it will be the worst pain you will ever experience and probably pass out. During panic attacks fainting does not happen, even though you feel you are going to.

2. Dizziness: Again, you will be dizzy, disoriented, but will not collapse or faint

3. Afraid you will die: Panic attacks will NOT kill you

4. Weakness in legs/jelly legs

5. Stomach in knots

6. Hot/cold flashes

7. Shortness of breath/hyperventilate

8. Nausea (which can be confused with heart attack symptoms)

9. Tremors/shaking - not always visible

These are all the classic symptoms so if you experienced at least four out of the ones I mentioned, you probably had a panic attack. Panic attacks usually last around 15 minutes, some can last longer. Usually after the attack, you feel physically and emotionally drained. Most people who are first time panic attak suffers wind up in the ER because they think it is a heart attack, stroke or something really bad.

The best thing you can do is realize it was a panic attack and it cannot harm you. the more you give into panic attacks and worry about another one happening, it probably will happen. It is a cycle of fear. Just accept the feelings and they will go away in time. It takes practice and patience.

If you feel an attack coming on there is a technique I use called grounding. You can research it online. It is a technique where you do belly breathing exercises along with using your senses to bring you back to a calm state.

Hope this helped

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:12 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Holds1325 View Post
    Did you feel panic?

Well Said

I'm new here, and this answered part of my question. I am grateful Hope you are all well. I would like to ask if there is a way to save this post or any of these messages so I can read them at a different time?

This has helped me today too. I had a little panic attack while waiting to see my doctor today in the waiting room. By the time they called me in it went away because I was distracted by them finally calling me in.

My attacks do not get too physical, in the sense that I don't feel like I can't breathe, I don't get chest pain, I don't feel I hyperventilate.

I just start to feel like oh great here comes my panic attack and then my heart starts going and then I feel like i'll faint and if I let it get in my head to much and keep thinking about it it turns into feeling weak and shaky and then I can usually just snap out of it. Sometimes though after that happens I just feel so upset by it and anxious the rest of the day and start thinking about it non stop and then get back into this cycle of oh great the attacks are back and i'm going to have another tomorrow and the next day and its never going to end . I thought I had it beat and could control it, now i'm not sure I can. UGH it's so frustrating!

---------- Post added at 01:23 ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 ----------

and I should mention I have never once thought I was dying or having heart attack, etc. I knew from the very first one that it was me panicking. But for some reason I still just can't get over it and it keeps happening and I know all the tricks to stop them but I can't get it out of my head.

Thread Information