Thread: Sertraline and weight gain, experiences?

Question Sertraline and weight gain, experiences?

Hi all

I have been on 150mg of Sertraline for 18 months and I have put on over14lbs (1stone) now!

I find it doesn't necessarily makes me 'hungrier' it just makes me want to eat! Does anyone have the same problem?

I would MUCH rather have the excess weight than go back to how I felt without this drug though!!!

I am getting married in just under 5 months so I am keen to get the weight off.

Has anyone successfully lost weight gained whilst on this drug, without reducing or stopping the drug? (I am not ready to reduce or come off and have decided not to do this til after the wedding!)

I have decided to exercise at least 30 minutes 3 times a week and stick roughly to the Slimming World plan (not doing to classes though, cant stand them!)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks xx

Re: Sertraline and weight gain, experiences?

I see no one has replied to you so I thought I would 😌
    I think all these medications give you the tendency to put weight on....seroxat being one of the worst (in my opinion).
    Whilst on citalopram I did lose some weight and I, too, tried to adhere to the slimming world plan.
    Now I've swapped on to Sertraline we shall see. I'm all over the place re eating at the moment but once I've settled down on them I'm going to make another attempt at watching my weight.

I'm on Sertraline and the opposite has happened. I've lost my appetite and lost weight ��

I hope it gets better soon!

I couldn't eat and couldn't stay off the toilet when I tried setraline so definitely didn't put on weight!

I wonder, though, if it's working well for your anxiety if you put on weight just because you're not anxious, as opposed to an effect of the medication?

The first 2 months I lost my appetite and lost weight. As I started feeling better I started eating a lot. I don't think it's the sertaline itself, I believe it's more just I'm feeling better so I enjoy eating more and therefore I eat more. I'm being careful now not to overindulge because I did start gaining a bit of weight.

I've been on it about 18 mths too and even though I'm not eating any more than before I've gained 7kg

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thread Information