Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowel cancer fear PLEASE HELP!

Bowel cancer fear PLEASE HELP!

People, please help as Im literally falling to pieces...

I'm a 30 year old guy with serious bowel issues for the past three weeks - first it started with diarrhea which later developed into bloating, painful gas, burping, indigestion, nausea and pain on the right side of my abdomen that sometimes migrates all over my colon area. It doesnt go away and its just not getting better at all.... Due to nausea, fear and queasiness i can barely eat and ive lost weight which is in turn another alarming symptom. Thinking about it all the time obviously makes it worse.

I had indigestion before (diagnosed with reflux disease in the past) but nothing like this. Im terrified I have colon or gallbladder cancer which means im googling all the time and of course all the symptoms fit perfectly, Im giving myself months to live and its unbearable. As im writing this there's no possibility in my mind that its anything other than cancer (we have a lot of it in the family).

I've had panic attacks and anxiety for ten years now (usually thinking im gonna have a heart attack) but it was never as crippling as this as I can barely function anymore. The pain in my abdomen is real and i have a difficulty believing that my psyche alone could be causing all of these symptoms.

Im staying in my room, skipping work, crying and self diagnosing. An added dimension of my problem is that I live in a foreign country (Germany), dont speak the language well and im alone here - separated from my girlfriend of 8 years 2 months ago. I have absolutely no one to talk to. I have an appoitnment with a GP on Monday and am terrified of it. Im praying to God she does all the tests come back negative as I cant live like this anymore...

If anyone has some words of wisdom or comfort or has been in a similar situation please help...

Re: Bowel cancer fear PLEASE HELP!

It's likely IBS brought on by extreme anxiety. You mention breaking up in a foreign country. I assume you are under tremendous stress in this situation and this. An wreak havoc on your digestive system.

I'm just coming out of a month long anxiety nightmare where I was sure I had pancreatic cancer. Turns out my gallbladder is just acting up. I also was unable to eat or leave the house until I had an MRI and my meds kicked in.

I feel your pain, I'm absolutely convinced I have bowel cancer! I had a small amount of bleeding without a bowel movement and now I have bloating and diarrhoea!!! I've seen the doc they think its piles and I even paid for a consultant who did a regid sigmoidoscopy and doesn't think there is anything wrong.

I do!!!! I need a colonoscopy! I may have to beg my doctor for one.

The thing that gets me is everyone always puts it down to anxiety but what if this time its not!!!!

Sending a hug xx

Thanks for your replies.

Atvmike in my home country (Slovenia) we have a saying that goes: from your mouth to God's ears!
    I know IBS is nothing to joke around with but being diagnosed with it would mean a second chance at life right now...

I also realise the breakup put an enormous amount of stress on me but I had an episode 5 months and 3 months ago (before the breakup) when I vomitted and had diarrhea for a day. I didnt go to the doctor then and now when its happening again (but much worse) Im certain im being "punished" for my own stupidity with cancer. Im terrified.

Chatty girl I get what you're saying - dont leave the office until they agree to it. I'm scheduled for colonoscopy in three weeks but I have no idea how will i make it till then as i can barely leave the house and the pain is contsant.

Please try to stop worrying about this, dear! I can totally understand how you feel since I also got through a tough period in February this year thinking I have colon cancer because of a small amount of blood after a bowel movement. I was also having extreme gas, burping and pain in lower abdomen. It turned out it was nothing, and my anxiety was causing all these symptoms. After I got over the fear of colon cancer, all symptoms disappeared. I can assure you that anxiety can definetely cause extreme gas, pain and indigestion problems. I am sure we will be totally fine! Also, remember that bowel cancer is actually unheard of in your age group! Sending hugs!!

Thank you Christina. This is my first day on this board and I immediately feel a little bit better.
    Still its hard to let go especially when you are experiencing weird pain (my abdominal pain sometimes migrates to the back - pancreatic cancer!!!) that doesnt stop and you cant explain, but google can.
    Im also extremely anxious that i wont be able to muster the strength i need to make it through all the testing and (waiting for results) that await me.

How did you do it?

Aha, google is our worst enemy....but unfortunately many of us (including me) are kinda addicted to it. I am extremely scared of going to the doctors and having tests so I didn't go...But after a month of being convinced I have colon cancer, another fear came up and forgot about it and my symptoms of bloating and pain went away too. The same thing will happen to you after you be assured its nothing serious. In the meanwhile, try to do stuff that you enjoy or make you laugh and keep your mind away of bad thoughts (I know it is easier said, that done...been there, hundreds of times)

Im happy for you! I hope im blessed with a similar outcome.

On the other hand as much as Im terrified of tests and visits to the doctors office this time around I know I wont be able to cope if Im not assured that Im fine - which at this stage of constant pain, bloating and worry seems impossible to me. But im happy and grateful i found this place. Its reassuring and gave me a little window of hope today when I most needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by chatty girl View Post
    I feel your pain, I'm absolutely convinced I have bowel cancer! I had a small amount of bleeding without a bowel movement and now I have bloating and diarrhoea!!! I've seen the doc they think its piles and I even paid for a consultant who did a regid sigmoidoscopy and doesn't think there is anything wrong.

I do!!!! I need a colonoscopy! I may have to beg my doctor for one.

The thing that gets me is everyone always puts it down to anxiety but what if this time its not!!!!

Sending a hug xx
    You saw an NHS doctor who recommended a flexible sigmoidoscopy, you paid for a private consultant who has performed a test, and has agreed that the original recommendation was the best one. You don't need a colonoscopy, honestly. Bleeding slightly can be a sign of an upset digestive system, IBS, not eating too much, eating too much. A colonoscopy does have risk attached and shouldn't be carried out unless it rally is necessary, not to say it might aggravate the problem that you are having already. Better to wait for flexible sigmoidoscopy.

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chinaski85 View Post
    People, please help as Im literally falling to pieces...

I'm a 30 year old guy with serious bowel issues for the past three weeks - first it started with diarrhea which later developed into bloating, painful gas, burping, indigestion, nausea and pain on the right side of my abdomen that sometimes migrates all over my colon area. It doesnt go away and its just not getting better at all.... Due to nausea, fear and queasiness i can barely eat and ive lost weight which is in turn another alarming symptom. Thinking about it all the time obviously makes it worse.

I had indigestion before (diagnosed with reflux disease in the past) but nothing like this. Im terrified I have colon or gallbladder cancer which means im googling all the time and of course all the symptoms fit perfectly, Im giving myself months to live and its unbearable. As im writing this there's no possibility in my mind that its anything other than cancer (we have a lot of it in the family).

I've had panic attacks and anxiety for ten years now (usually thinking im gonna have a heart attack) but it was never as crippling as this as I can barely function anymore. The pain in my abdomen is real and i have a difficulty believing that my psyche alone could be causing all of these symptoms.

Im staying in my room, skipping work, crying and self diagnosing. An added dimension of my problem is that I live in a foreign country (Germany), dont speak the language well and im alone here - separated from my girlfriend of 8 years 2 months ago. I have absolutely no one to talk to. I have an appoitnment with a GP on Monday and am terrified of it. Im praying to God she does all the tests come back negative as I cant live like this anymore...

If anyone has some words of wisdom or comfort or has been in a similar situation please help...
    Do you think this could have something connected with your relationship breakup? It must be very stressful and stomach is one of the first places to become affected when stressed, excess acid, poor digestion, heartburn, pain. Have you thought about this, that there could be connection?

Im sure the whole breakup situation didnt help any as it was really messy and stressful. That on top of my general anxiety must be a shock for the body.

But still, to attribute all these new, persistent and morphing symptoms just because of a break up im not so sure. I sure hope its all psychosomatic but the physical symptoms are very real. And scary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information