Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throat/Tonsil Problems

Throat/Tonsil Problems

Hi

Apologies if I should have posted this thread in symptoms or somewhere else!

For a while now I've had white patches/lumps on both tonsils which come and go. I've been to my GP who said that they are just tonsilar crypts (when food or gunk becomes trapped in the small crevices in the tonsils and cause slight infection) or tonsil stones and he prescribed an antibacterial mouthwash to gargle with.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I was ill with cold, sore throat and a white lump on each tonsil. I also had swollen glands down my throat. Again went to my GP who said that my body was just fighting infection, nothing to worry about, blah blah, but I've still got a large lump on my right tonsil (which occasionally weeps a bit of pus and shrinks) and the tonsil is also bleeding slightly, although I have been prodding it. I'm convinced it's something really serious as I've never had one that lasted so long before. Has anyone else ever had anything like this. I've googled, big mistake, it sounds like it could be throat/tonsil cancer.

Please help, I'm getting into a real state about it.

K x

Re: Throat/Tonsil Problems

Hi Kay,

I really can't be of much help as I've never had this problem. But if your GP has examined you a couple of times now, I wouldn't imagine it's anything sinister. However, I think you need some reassurance and an explanation as to why it hasn't gone away. Some infections take a long time to go and maybe you need some antibiotics or something to get rid?

Personally, I think I'd go back to the doctors and discuss my concerns. Hopefully they can then give you some reassurance, maybe take a swab and treat the infection.

Try to leave it alone though, as you won't help it by prodding. And DON'T GOOGLE!!! It only ever makes us feel worse.

Sorry I can't be of more help; hopefully someone else might come along soon who can be of better use.

Take care
    xx

Hi
    This sounds exactly like what your gp diagnosed you with, my sympathy is extended to you as it can be a very painful condition. Pockets sometimes form as well which can fill up with food particles. I really dont think it is anything serious for you to worry about, its just pretty dam painful. Your gp may consider an ent review if it persists, but not because its serious. I dont think it sounds like throat or tonsil cancer....you could google anything and cancer would be mentioned. Its happening on both sides and cancer just doesnt appear like that, get better then reappear again...try and not worry about it.
    hope this helps

The most important skill in staying calm
    is not to lose sleep over small issues.
    The second most important skill is to be
    able to view all issues as small issues.

Kay

I used to get the white spots a lot and I think I was run down at the time and they did go in the end so hope yours do too.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

hi!

i had a lot of tonsil problems when i was younger, very similar to what you seem to have now, like the others said, please dont worry about it!
    ive also had and still have throat trouble and googled all kinds of throat cancer..im telling ya now, none of your symptoms sound like it at all.....when i was googling im pretty sure i read that that white spots mean infection...
    i dont have my tonsils anymore-thank goodness....lol....but i can say for sure that infections in general can take ages to go sometimes, if ya bodys not in top shape, infections can really dig in and play havoc...also, trust you doc, hes been trained in this stuff, im sure he knows what he is talking about.
    if they even suspect anything serious, they send you for more tests immediatly.
    take care and get well soon...

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to see my GP on Monday again as it's been over two weeks since I last saw him about this and he did say if it persists to go and see him again, although he's probably sick of the sight of me but oh well! I've also purchased some antibacterial/antiseptic throat spray in the hope that this will help.

Nell, you're so right, everytime I google, no matter what's wrong, I always find something that says it could be cancer, and that's my biggest fear! I MUST NOT GOOGLE!!! My head tells me it's something common/trivial but there's always that doubt and rather than waiting to see if it clears up or going to the doctors I google, and googling just makes the panic take over. I keep picturing my son without his mummy, I'm probably making myself more ill thru stress and anxiety than I actually physically am. I'm so sick of feeling like this, I really need to get a grip!

K xx

Ow I get those all the time! Had them for years. Don't worry, they won't harm you. They fall off within time.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Dear kc

Just an update on this - following a cold and sore throat, I had a large white spot on my right tonsil last November- it lasted about two months and looked like a large "White head" spot, filled with pus. My doctor didn't know what it was and terrified the life out of me for two weeks whilst I took a strong dose of antibiotics - which didn't clear it up (which terrified me even more!!!). I was so worried, I paid to see an ent consultant who immediately diagnosed it as a retentive cyst saying they are very common, he sees them everyday and they are absolutely nothing to worry about. He says loads of people get them, sometimes right down the back of the throat where you wouldn't even notice they were there! They come and they go!

Do you know what I did to get rid of it - instead of prodding it about, I ate loads of those really expensive kettle chips so the sharp edges would puncture it and I gargled three/four times a day with hot salt water. I also took a load of supplements to build up my immune system. One day after about 4 weeks I looked in the mirror and it was gone and the same will happen to you

Please don't worry about this anymore and let us know how you get on!

Love Alison

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26088

Sounds like you and I have the same.
    Lump on one tonsil, not a particularly sore throat tho it does get sore easily.... its been five months. A fleshy yellowy coloured lump, hanging on side of tonsil and my throat often feels dry,tight,aggravated tho i think thats main ly anxiety cause it comes and goes. I also googlled, I am also worried its cancer,esp as I now have a smaller lump next to it now.
    Am gargling with salt water but pharmacist told me to leave well alone and did not recommend mouth wash or anything.... also lately my tongue at the back has been quite yukky looking, white etc...

Just got back from the Docs where she diagnosed a cyst, vey common, no need to worry, no cancer like I feared, ......... so I can relax, until the next time,LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information