Thread: CBT

CBT

Hi all,

Had CBT yesterday and although it went ok. I find it hard to find a connection with my therapist as she is the complete opposite to me and she admits it herself. I don't even think she has ever suffered. Where as I wouldn't wish that on anyone. It just makes it hard for her to see where I am coming from and vice versa if that makes sense??

Although her advise is good and I can understand what she means. I feel a little disheartened by it. I think she is trying to get me to be more assertive, speak my mind more and help me control the worry and not feel so guilty and responsible all the time.

Which I know this is good and I appreciate her help. I am just finding it so hard to become a stronger person. It makes me question myself and wonder if I am getting better??? :(

Part of me knows I have come along way and I have a greater understanding now, but character wise I am still so oversensitive and a wimp so nothing has really changed?

Sorry just had to open up.

Take care all

Love Pip's XX XX

Hi Pips

Sorry it didn't go quite as you imagined. The lady I saw for CBT worked at Sheffield university and had never suffered. I think she had just finished a course and was let loose on real people.[}]

However, I did get on with her and found her a big help but it takes time to open up to people and let them into your life.

They have to know how you are feeling etc before they can help and I am sure that in time you will open up a bit more.

Don't give in just yet mate - you may find that in time you click with her and she can help you.

Perhaps she can work on the self-esteem thing and get on top of that first.

Stick at it a bit longer ok and let us know how it goes?

xx

Nicola

Hi Pips,

I know what you mean - it's always nice to talk to someone who has suffered and therefore knows exactly where you are coming from. Maybe you should give it a few more weeks and see how it is going then. You can always change counsellors, can't you?

Sarah

Thanks Nic and Sarah,

Oh yes I will definately keep at it. I suppose in the long run though its hard to change who you actually are personality wise. I'd need a brain transplant for that. LOL Perhaps my expectations were to high? I mean she can't really change the person you are. Or how you might react to different things. Just help you manage your emotions better! Rather then take it to the extreme as I often do!!!!!

If that makes any sense at all what I have just wrote! LOL It can be so difficult to explain huh?

I hope you are both well

Take care

Love PIP'S XX XX

Thread Information