Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared I'm Going Blind - Retinitis Pigmentosa

Scared I'm Going Blind - Retinitis Pigmentosa

Two days ago I suffered a migraine attack with associated visual disturbances which is normal for me. My vision returned to normal after the migraine aura passed however I had been lying on my right hand side for a while during the migraine where my right eye was covered. When I got up the vision in my right eye was brighter and I assumed it was because it was covered and maybe also because of the migraine. I ended up making the most stupidest mistake of looking up 'dim vision' on Google which showed Retinitis Pigmentosa as a possible cause.

I have been testing my eyes and peripheral vision obsessively, and doing more research since reading this. I was even testing my eyes and looking up more symptoms during my lectures and tutorials at uni today. This has destroyed my life. I HAVE NOTICED MY PERIPHERAL VISION IS SLIGHTLY MORE DIMMER IN MY LEFT EYE. Maybe retinitis pigmentosa actually exaggerated the effect of my right eye appearing more brighter. I don't know if this is anxiety or I'm actually showing early symptoms. This is driving me crazy. I had a severe panic attack this morning over this. I need to see an ophthalmologist. My left eye appears to be slightly more dimmer for some reason. I can't take this. Three days ago I had vowed to my doctor to never unnecessarily look up symptoms on Google again. I had my final heart tests the other day and thought this was all over. Now I'm back to square one again. Should I get a referral from my GP to see an ophthalmologist? I've lost so much sleep over this. My symptoms seem to indicate early stage retinitis pigmentosa which is serious.
    Last edited by james1067; 27-04-16 at 14:59.

Re: Scared I'm Going Blind - Retinitis Pigmentosa

Go to an eye doctor.

Hi James
    Can you not call into a high street optician rather than getting a referral from your GP? I think an eye test would pick up on any issues at all straight away and would save you the further stress of waiting to see GP then waiting for referral. I'm not saying I think anything is wrong because I don't, but the optician could maybe nip this in the bid for you and you can start to calm down about it.
    I sympathise with the migraine aura thing. I've had it for years but it still causes me to panic about my vision. Xx

Vision problems before after and during migraines for an extended period of time are very common and usually clear up on their own. Sometimes medication can speed that up.

I would however suggest as Josh1234 said, to go see a doctor just in case.

As long as you're not blacking out or completely losing vision though it doesnt sound like too much of a concern.

Thanks for the responses. I got to the point where I thought I was experiencing a retinal detachment in my left eye and I went straight to the emergency department at the royal Victorian eye and ear hospital. I was triaged and saw an ophthalmologist who ran various retinal scans and other tests on my eyes. Everything looked good but he found a few floaters and said they were harmless. However he mentioned if I ever experience a shower of floaters and/or a curtain coming down my vision to go back immediately. This caused my anxiety to skyrocket and that's all I have been thinking about ever since. Also he asked if anyone in my family experienced gradual vision loss as this would raise my risk of getting retinitis pigmentosa. I told him my great grandmother started to loss her vision at 97 but he wasn't concerned. I don't know why would he ignore this. What if my great grandmother had late onset retinitis pigmentosa. This would put met at risk and explain my symptoms. I read early stage retinitis pigmentosa can occur in later life and me hard to detect in it's early stage. What if he missed these early signs because they were too subtle?

Because this Dr spent about 10 years of his life in training so he knows an awful lot more about eyes than you do! As alot of people on here know already I am partially sighted with severe eye conditions and because of this have had to be very well informed on eye emergencies.
    Nothing you have posted comes under red flag symptoms for eye problems. the Dr was doing his job by telling you about what they call red flag symptoms like sudden huge showers of floaters as this symptom could but is not necessarily a sign of a burst blood vessel or detaching retina. There are alot of others that thankfully he didn't tell you about.
    The eye condition you are worrying about is genetic so you would have someone in your close family who lost their sight young to middle aged. Anyone living to 97 will almost certainly lose some sight usually due to dry macular degeneration that is almost always present at that age.

Migraines give visual symptoms but they are not coming from any eye problem at all - all in the brain.

Please be very reassured that you have had an extensive examination by an expert who would not have missed anything.

Thanks for the reply. It helped put my mind at ease. I have severe anxiety of going blind which started when I developed a blind spot right before a migraine attack which I thought was due to brain cancer making me go blind. Even to this day my migraine aura symptoms put me on edge because the symptoms are so similar to strokes or eye problems.

I'm exactly the same James. I have had migraine aura for years, but every time it happens it's just do unpleasant I always worry about it. I've had a panic today about it in fact.
    Country girl gives some good advice which we both should take xx

James thats totally understandable given your migraine auras but never forget this is from the brain not the eyes. I have very occasional occular migraines with no headache that only last about 15 mins and I get the jagged broken line in my vision in both eyes going from one side of vision to the other. Even though i know what it is, it freaks me out every time as I worry it won't go away so I do genuinly understand how nervous it can make you feel.

Hi so glad I'm not the only one this migraine with aura .occular migraine without pain happened to me 2 weeks after having my baby back in February and it started my anxiety and panic off again after a very good couple of yrs I am bk on beta blockers and living in fear. Ever since my eyes and vision has been awful I made appointment for eye test and wear my glasses near enough all day I get floaters and i have dry eye my eyes sting and lights get too bright for me unless I wear my glasses . I have been told I'm too aware of it and my anxiety is making it more noticeable I am going back to my doctor as the dry eye isn't clearing up with the eye drops . U are not alone about being scared about these symptoms it's strange why it happens but ur probably like me u focus on it too much . Take it easy x here if u need a chat x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information