Thread: New and atypical - advice appreciated!

Question New and atypical - advice appreciated!

Hi, I've just been diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder after practically a whole lifetime (so far) of mental health problems. I saw my GP and a Psychiatric Nurse, who agreed there was a serious problem but didn't know what condition it could be. Then the Psychiatrist I was referred to quickly decided I had GAD, mainly because my mother has it.

I wondered if anyone here could comment on whether my diagnosis seems okay? I've read up quite a bit on the condition and my case doesn't seem to match up that much to most of the generic descriptions.

Specifically, I have the following symptoms which do seem to fit in with GAD: derealisation / depersonalisation; extreme feelings of anxiety / impending doom / negative emotions; 'fight or flight' sensations; restlessness; flight of ideas and inability to concentrate or communicate effectively; visual disturbances; occasional obsessive thoughts.

However: I don't have panic attacks; I don't worry about specific things any more than the next person; rather than feeling 'constantly' anxious I have episodes that come on over a day or so and can last for about a week where I have major symptoms throughout; there usually isn't an obvious trigger for these episodes; I occasionally get delusional; I often have vivid dreams and find my senses are heightened when I'm going into an episode (not sure if this is usual for GAD sufferers?)

Are there any others on this forum with this pattern of symptoms? When I read articles on GAD they often seem to be about how to stop worrying about things and manage stress and I just think, 'this doesn't sound like my condition'.

I'm also struggling with trying to decide whether to go on long term treatment with SSRIs or keep managing it myself, but I'll spend some more time looking at previous posts on that subject before bugging you all with questions.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Re: New and atypical - advice appreciated!

Hi Magpie, first of all don't every feel you're bugging us on this forum.

I can relate to how you feel with feeling anxious all the time. That's how I can be too though fortunately for me I seem to be having some sort of a reprieve at the moment. I suffer from recurrent depression with all the anxiety symptoms you have mentioned above. Fortunately I don't tend to have panic attacks either but do feel a sense of impending doom a lot of the time when I have episodes. I'm on medication which will be long term and maybe for life but hey, if it keeps me well.... If you want to PM me feel free. Otherwise just keep posting and let us know how you're getting on.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends,

Take care

Trac xx
    People change, Things go wrong,
    I just remembered...Life Goes On

Hi Magpie,
    I've suffered from and beaten GAD and basically I feel that it is pretty much a cover-all term (hence the generalized!!) for any form of anxiety that isn't necessarily social or health related etc...I was initially diagnosed with depression when I was 14-am 22 now. I can relate to all the symptoms you described and like yourself, have never had panic attacks or experienced physcial symptoms of anxiety. My trigger was stress over uni work as I've always been a perfectionist, though I wasn't experiencing any difficulties with my course and was doing really well. I did receive CBT to help but I found a lot of it was pretty self-explanatory and easier said than done. However, unlike you, I was constantly anxious 24/7 and it was very wearing. I did experience vivid dreams and nightmares, and I felt as if the adrenalin was constantly firing, but I was never delusional. I have taken SSRIs for seven years, starting with seroxat, but last year I changed to an SSNRI, Cymbalta, which has recently been licensed for anxiety and has turned my life around.
    Hope this helps-be brave, GAD doesn't last for ever,
    Sarah

Hi Magpie
    I often have incredibly vivid dreams and I have worked out they are often trying to help me "sort something out". If possible I try to talk them through with a counsellor.
    From my long experience of anxiety-related problems I can recommend doing lots of things which all help a bit. I have found Yoga very helpful, particularly if you can find a teacher who spends time on breathing and relaxation. I realise that I need to spend time every day really relaxing and having lots of "positive" things in my life. Having a dog really helps a lot too!
    I hope this is of some help
    Serena

Hi there,

I'd just like to welcome you to the site.

Take care

shirley xx

hey welcome to the site x x x x x hope you settle in x x x take kare x x

minnie xxxx

Hi Magpie,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

Mandy xx

"DILLIGAF"

Hi Magpie

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

It does sound GAD to me - as a lot of people suffering that don't have panic attacks as such.

Hope you get some great advice and support on here.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

HI MAGGIE.
    WELCOME YOU WILL FIND LOTS OF SUPPORT AND INFO HERE EVERYONE HAS DIFFERENT TYPES OR SHOULD I SAY SYMPTOMS OF ANXIETY SO I WISH YA THE BEST AND HANG IN THERE..........LINDA

Thread Information