Thread: Neck Ultrasound - wait

Neck Ultrasound - wait

Hello
    I have just had an ultrasound to investigate a lump under my ear whihc has comeup and gone away again for the past year. I have foolishly Googled this inside out. The doctor who undertook the procedure told me that although he could see the lump in the ultrasound, he thinks it looks like a benign mass because of the shape of it (e.g. Warthin tumour), he could not be 100% so he did a fine Need Aspiration (ouch). I now have to wait another 3 weeks before I see the consultant for the results and am already getting very anxious. I can't put it out of my mind at all because of the slight but present earache. I am really hoping that he would not have said he thinks it's OK if there was much doubt. Does anyone have any experience of this please - preferably of a positive nature as I have overdosed on the negative thoughts and worries. Thanks

Re: Neck Ultrasound - wait

Just wanted to say I'm sure the consultant wouldn't have said they thought it was benign if they had any doubts. The biopsy will be just to say with 100% certainty that there is nothing at all unusual about it. They see these things every day and so they have a pretty good idea. That's what I've always been told when I've had ultrasounds etc in the past anyway. I know how horrible the waiting is though. Xxxx

How you getting on moonbeam?

Thank you so much for thinking about me.
    I went to the ENT consultant for the appointment yesterday morning and he told me that nothing nasty had been found in the FNA and the little lump (about 1 cm) looks very much like a Warthin tumour which is a benign thing. In everything I have read, it seems the general practice to whip it out as it can get bigger and interfere with other structures but the consultant said he thinks the current thinking is now to treat it conservatively and just watch. However at my local hospital they do not have any surgeons who are any good at that particular surgery. They have to be good at it as it involves digging around facial nerves. He is therefore referring me to a larger hospital where they know about that sort of thing to see what they think. Whilst it would be nice not to have surgery, if there is any doubt (FNA results are not always a perfect result apparently) I would opt for the surgery. He said there is no urgency and I should hear something in 6-8 weeks.

Thread Information