Thread: Mirtazapine and cortisol levels.

Mirtazapine and cortisol levels.

I have been on Mirt 3 years now and I desperately want off it but I have ill health so my GP does not recommend I wean off at the moment, so another year stuck on it. I am only on 15mg.

I am suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome and an underactive thyroid. Symptoms began last summer and I wanted to withdraw last year but my GP said as I was feeling unwell and my anxiety had returned due to my health issues it was't the right time to withdraw.

The drug when I think about it has helped me through a very tough time. My brother attacked me and I had to cut certain family members out which led to alot of anxiety and depression, plus my grandmother passed during this time so I was experiencing alot of trauma. I was also painfully thin all my adult life, at around 6 stone/84lbs. I am now a healthy 8 stone. I would like to lose some weight but it's only because I feel big at 115lbs when previously I was so thin. My GP has told me my weight is perfect for my 5ft height. I also sleep well now, which I didn't after all the trauma I went through. I didn't sleep for 6 months solid at one point. So mirt has had huge benefits for me, and my only reason for wanting to withdraw is I'd like to lose the fat around my middle and thighs as I feel big, and I'd like to see if it helped my fatigue.

I was told Mirtazapine lowers cortisol levels, I won't Google as that is a big no, no for me. I have been told my adrenals have taken a beating over the last 4 years due to all the stress and that could well be the trigger for my thyroid issue and CFS. I am concerned whether mirtazapine has played a role in this if it does alter cortisol levels. Does anyone know anything about this?

I have been through a tough time, my son was badly bullied last year and ended up feeling very desperate and talked about giving up on life. Another huge trigger of my CFS. It was a stressful heart breaking time, I can see my GP is right that weaning off medication after going through a tough time again recently and having ill health, is a recipe for disaster so my plan is now to stay on it. Has anyone stayed on mirtazapine long term and is this safe to do? Mirt is fairly sedating and I do feel hungover some mornings but I don't think it's the cause of my chronic fatigue as I crash in energy badly after workouts, any stress, long walks or days out which never used to happen during my time on the drug. So I am trusting my GP that my fatigue is infact CFS and hypothyroidism.

Thank you.

B

Re: Mirtazapine and cortisol levels.

Hi Bonnibelle

I can relate to the putting on weight aspect of Mirtazapine, only been on it 2 weeks and like you I am just 5' tall, I had gone down to just under 7stone but in 2 weeks I've put on 10lbs, to be honest I needed too, though this side effect is the only positive one of the horrendous side effects I'm having. 8 stone sounds perfect for our height but its what you feel comfortable with. Hope others can advise re your other comments x

Thread Information