Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beating mirtazapine lethargy

Beating mirtazapine lethargy

Hi guys

I've been taking mirtazapine 15mg for several weeks now and on the whole it's helped. However in the last day or so I've experienced lethargy which is affecting my anxiety levels when doing something as simple as walking to my nearest post box. I've also had ongoing lack of motivation which is as debilitating as crippling anxiety in terms of living a normal life. I sleep very well each night.

A few years ago I went through a similar anxiety spell but I could at least work, now I'm not even doing that! I don't need to for now, but I know it's hampering my recovery.

I've jogged quite regularly in the mornings since December, even this morning, and I try to eat healthily. I've put on about half a stone but lost about a stone initially.

I would be grateful if anyone could share their experiences.

Re: Beating mirtazapine lethargy

I have been on Mirtazapine 3 years and I too have the crippling fatigue which also affects my anxiety alot and like you makes going out difficult as it makes me feel so anxious feeling that weak and lethargic. I do wonder whether mirt is to blame, as it's sedating at lower doses. I am on 15mg. It has helped me alot though so stay on it.

Hi, am fighting to keep my eyes open too, been on Mirtazapine for 16 days and have never felt so ill, total physical and mental exhaustion and other side effects such as back ache, not sleeping, sweating, confusion. I'd go and lie down but I know I won't sleep. For the last 2 weeks I've felt numb, but today I have cried and cried. I've put 10lbs in 16 days which to be honest was needed as I was not eating before I started on them, its the only side effect that has done me any favours. Oh and weakness too, not up to doing the simplest of tasks around the house.

Thank you for the responses.

Yes, Bonnibelle, lower doses are sedating, but a few weeks ago I tried upping it by half a tablet a day and that didn't help with the tiredness and I ended up with awful ibs stomach cramps which has completely gone away now that I'm back on 15mg. It's just impossible to know what causes what as we all know that anxiety/low mood can deplete us of energy too. What has your doctor said about coming off mirt? I hope to be on it for as short a time as possible especially if it's making me tired.

Julie, I feel terrible for you. Mirtazapine is usually quite easy to get used to, I don't think you should be feeling quite so awful, though it clearly is good for your appetite. Lots of people can't tolerate it, and maybe you're one of them, In which case get the hell out! Speak to your doctor (if you can't get yourself in there). Last Nov I was put on sertraline which was a nightmare for me (but not as bad as what you're going through) and I kept ringing pharmacists who told me to expect to feel bad for the first weeks. After nearly 6 weeks I was bed bound and my doctor finally realised it didn't suit and was prescribed mirtazapine.

Good luck ladies, and please keep in touch.

Hi Little Miss Alone - Just wondering about your diet. Quite often that can seriously affect one's energy level. Carbs can be good or bad depending on the type, amount, and when they're ingested. It's great you exercise but take a closer look at what you eat. A well timed cup of coffee could help as well. Your sleeping well which is also fantastic. Hang in there. I hear more good than bad.

N.

Thanks Noivire

Yes, I know I have to be careful with bread/yeast and I did consider that, but I don't think I overdid that area to the degree that my lethargy would suggest. Can't rule it out though.

Today is another day and no issues with energy at all, which is great.

However I did feel more anxious than I should have done shopping a bit earlier, but I know that's because I overdid caffeine, I aim to have 2 cups of tea a day and tend to have them both early in the day.

I'm only human and I wish I could cut out caffeine, sugar, wheat, dairy, etc, but frankly I'd rather have the anxiety!

Hoping all good with you.

You're welcome!

Ihear you about only being human. Summer is fast approaching and you know what that means...ICE CREAM! Oh no!

I will say that diet really does affect my overall well being. If I eat the wrong things I can notice it in my energy, mood, how I feel, sleep. And of course when those things aren't doing well it opens the door for the anxiety monster to creep in. It's like a vicious cycle. When those things are poor - sleep/mood/diet ect...my anxiety goes up...which then affects my sleep mood and diet...haha...you can't make this stuff up. It's sinister! But hang in there. That's the key I think - never give in never give up.

N.

Yes, Noivous, fresh fruit and veg aplenty!

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

Julie Anne

How are you today? Better I hope.

Hi Julie Anne - I'm well today. Thanks for asking. How bout you? It's kind of a dreary day weather wise - been like that all week now. But not much we can do about that.

So gonna get myself off my butt and do something constructive. Which shouldn't be a problem as my house looks like a bomb went off

I hope you have a great day!

Nathaniel

So sorry, Noivous! I was asking Julie Anne how she is! Sometimes this website gets a bit confusing. It's really good, but it could perhaps be more of a Facebook layout.

Glad you're well though.

I'm feeling nervous and I've got a big day, quelle surprise!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information