Thread: Fast heartrate effect on long term

Unhappy Fast heartrate effect on long term

Hi everyone,

I've started feeling very anxious lately about my fast heartrate, which has often come out on ECG's as sinus tachycardia (and once as SVT). I'm 34, have had health anxiety, mostly cardiovascular related, for the past 20 years on and off, with GAD & panic attacks.

My concern this week is I've been reading that having tachycardia could "weaken" the heart after some time, so that's made me panicky quite a bit. I don't *always* have sinus tachy (fast heartrate), but I have episodes here & there, sometimes 1-3 hours each day, sometimes I can go days without. Also, my heart can also go low (60-80), sometimes even in the same 24 hour period where it went at 120 bpm (at rest, whether lying down or sit.)

Last week, it was between 114 - 144 for 10 hours straight, and I must admit those prolonged states have rarely happened. It came down since, even going as low as 58, but sometimes it goes back in the range of 100-120 (sit / lying down, and independant of my anxiety level).

So, is that a true danger, that my heart could weaken in the long run? I had insisted back in 2008 to be put on a beta blocker cuz I was also in a phase where it happened more often but the problem was, even at small doses, that it brought down my heartrate too much when normally it could go down in the 60's, now it came down in the 40's and I got all dizzy and a ton of side effects. But that aside, my main concern right now is: can I live with sinus tachycardia showing up randomly, sometimes more than other times, and not be / become in danger of a weakened heart or whatever?

Also, anyone lived this for a long time and still healthy since?

Re: Fast heartrate effect on long term

Hi
    Your heart can take it, it's a muscle. Athletes have high heart rates daily and for many hours at a time.
    Your anxiety may be triggering your heart rate without you even knowing it.
    I have worked with a couple of nurses who have had heart rates consistently in the low hundreds and they are just fine.
    If you become symptomatic from it, get it checked.

I am an RN and have worked in Coronary Care for many years.
    Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
    Hi
    Your heart can take it, it's a muscle. Athletes have high heart rates daily and for many hours at a time.
    Your anxiety may be triggering your heart rate without you even knowing it.
    I have worked with a couple of nurses who have had heart rates consistently in the low hundreds and they are just fine.
    If you become symptomatic from it, get it checked.

I am an RN and have worked in Coronary Care for many years.
    Take care.
    Thanks for your reply, so much, it really reassures me.

Just a question though: what is RN? Recovery Nurse? Some terms are different in the UK from here in Canada, like A&E being ER here.

About some nurses in the low hundreds (which I often get too, 100 - 114), is it generally while standing and stressed or also sit and calm? Thanks again !

Quote Originally Posted by n3r0x1k View Post
    Thanks for your reply, so much, it really reassures me.

Just a question though: what is RN? Recovery Nurse? Some terms are different in the UK from here in Canada, like A&E being ER here.

About some nurses in the low hundreds (which I often get too, 100 - 114), is it generally while standing and stressed or also sit and calm? Thanks again !
    RN is Registerd Nurse
    Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
    RN is Registerd Nurse
    Relax
    Thanks This reassures me beyond words, especially knowing you're a nurse and that some of your fellow nurses live similar situations.

Quote Originally Posted by n3r0x1k View Post
    Thanks This reassures me beyond words, especially knowing you're a nurse and that some of your fellow nurses live similar situations.
    Your welcome, take care.

Thread Information