Thread: How Hard Is Flying With Anxiety?

How Hard Is Flying With Anxiety?

I have pretty much cured anxiety and my panic attacks, I've always wanted to travel, I've been on boats before I had my anxiety but never a plane. I really want to go abroad but am really scared, not by flying but by my silly OCD thoughts I get, I fear i'll loose the plot in the plane and go around trying to open the doors etc, same now with a boat, I fear i'll jump over board Sad but true.

I'd be interested to hear of any of your experiences with flying/travelling when suffereing from anxiety.

Re: How Hard Is Flying With Anxiety?

Im the same - hubby wants to go on a plane to Italy -only 2 hours - but I am not scared of crashing etc but of being "Trapped" in a confined space and not being able to open a window or door - even big planes scare me- I hyperventilate every time we talk about it!! Wenjoy x

hi

i was the same for years and never belieived i would ever get back on a plane. Especially when the doors close and the feeling of no escape and would I make a fool of myself if I panicked.

Last May I went to Spain and yes I coped - I did have a panic attack but I let it pass and didnt add on any further fears. I kept telling myself I was excited about flying and was going on an advernture instead of dreading it. - It worked!

Im booked again to fly in June to Bulgaria and can't wait.

After being completely housebound with agoraphobia for 3 yrs and had GAD for 10 yrs, Im now beginning to live my life and accept that the only thing holding me back is my thoughts.

So go for it - also read up the Aviophobia on the left hand side list.

Darkangel x

It depends if you have a particular phobia of it - I do and even when I'm 'well' it brings on an extreme panic attack and I can't keep still or relax on the plane. I love to travel but my partner has to do some serious persuading to get me on a plane. I have tried hypnosis for this and it really helped - try it if you get really worried or try herbal remedies or get your doc to prescribe something. I always found that it was worth going through the anxiety for the experience of going away somewhere new and how chilled you'll feel when you get there.

Hi there,i can relate to what you are saying.i had fears years ago even before i had panic attacks and anxiety.so what i did was a fear of flying course(dont know if youve heard of them?)basically i spent a day at an airport with very experienced pilots and learnt about how a plane flys,what to expect,noises you might hear to name a few things they do videos and question and answer sessions and you do relaxation tecniques.

then in the afternoon you do approx 45 min flight "round the block".its great because all through the flight the pilots talk to you talking you through it and the flight attandants are especially trained with "anxious people" they also had counsellors on board.id recommend it alot for anyone although i wouldnt say im totally cured it gave me a great first time experience and broke me in gently,and everyone was nervous at the same time so you didnt feel alone.

hope this idea helps

take care wendie j xxxxx

Hi there,

I was terrified to fly and a couple of years ago I had to go down south with work - 50 mins on a plane - I was terrified but I did it. I have since been on two short trips and one to Greece last year, to be honest I find it so hard work, I spend the whole trip trying to breathe properly and not panic, I also used a rescue remedy.......this year Im holidaying by car lol. You will be fine, its a great feeling to know you have conquered it.........just try and stay calm and you will be fine.

Shaz

I actually had my worst ever panic attack in a plane, it was awful. The thing that caused it was that I didn't feel grounded (no pun intended), I didn't feel like I was part of the real world. I couldn't find a mental crutch to describe where I was when I was 1500 ft or whatever over the north sea. It just didn't make any sense to me....it really was terrible, but I'm not ruling out flying in the future. I really do want to travel. I've just got to pick a more appropriate time, because doing it when I'm ill will cause me more harm than good.

Thread Information