Thread: High dose of sertraline - experiences?

High dose of sertraline - experiences?

Hi all. Would love some advice / input

So I've been dealing with anxiety a fair bit. True sertraline some time ago and really felt we were onto something. Started slow and built up

By 50mg the depersonalisation seemed to be gone, or waning, or less obvious. Not sure if it was the medication or just generally one and perseverance.

100mg saw a tiny crack in the general anxiety, but still obsessive, those existential thoughts, feeling vague, brain fog, etc.

150 saw the first real solid improvement; days without existential worry, less fatigue, less panics, etc, but for the most part, still tight and anxious underneath. Definite progress but my pdoc suggested trying 200 after 6 weeks on 150 and still that anxiety and obsessions remaining. She said she has a few clients whose obsessions didn't begin to fade until the full 200.

So here I am, almost 2 weeks into 200mg. For the first few days on it, I felt no anxiety, almost miraculously. Might have been the effect of 150 or placebo or whatever but I really felt a lift. However, over the last 7 days things have been worse; started off feeling "wrong" and foggy and couldn't stop obsessing. Then the last 2 days or so, really weird, and depersonalisation kicked in again for the first time in a good while. This, obviously, made me frightened, which made me anxious

So, do I stick with 200 seeing as it's the only time I've ever had relief, however brief? Is this an adjustment period? Even though it's 2 weeks in and I've been on the drug generally for months? Is this a blip?

If anyone here has had success on a high dose, please chip in. And how long did it take for things to settle down? Did you have any anxiety on increase? Should I drop sertraline entirely, even though it was the only thing to offer palpable progress?

Thanks

Re: High dose of sertraline - experiences?

Hi Floods...just wondering...how long were you at 150?

N.

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Hi Floods...just wondering...how long were you at 150?

N.
    Just over 6 weeks

Im on Sertraline for the very same reason that you are. Constant obsessive thought about the thoughts themselves, ir metaworry. Also experiencing severe existential thoughts tgat I dont want to even think about, which makes me even more anxious.

Its getting to the point where my own thoughts in general are becoming triggers because it terrifies me that I cant control my own mind anymore.

I honestly thought I was alone in these issues. Its relieving to hear someone else can relate.

Ive only been on Sertraline for about 14 days now, 6 days on 50mg and I recently just felt the depersonalization lift quite a bit, still having constant obsessive thoughts though, trying to accept them so that they no longer bother me, but it has proven to be a difficult task.

Anyway, Im sorry that I cant help, but I wish you luck and hope you see improvement.

I've been on 50mg for over a year now and not felt the need to increase.
    Maybe it's worth asking your Dr if another med would be better?
    Just a thought.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thread Information