Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone taking Mirtazapine told to start Sertraline?

Anyone taking Mirtazapine told to start Sertraline?

Any advice please. Been on Mirtazapine for 3 weeks with awful side effects. Doctor told me to stop (immediately) and start Sertraline the next day. I am terrified of Serotonin Syndrome especially considering how sensitive I have been to taking Mirt and obviously withdrawals from Mirt and new side effects from Sert? If you have any experience of this please share. Thanks.

Re: Anyone taking Mirtazapine told to start Sertraline?

Cautious cross tapering is the recommended strategy in switching from Mirt to Sert so it would be fine for your GP to reduce one and introduce a low dose of the other and build up while phasing out. So, switching the way he is doing it is not the same but there will be a lower level of overlap between the meds.

However, please remember that Serotonin Syndrome is rare yet switching or cross tapering these meds is very common. Just look how many people on here are switching between various Serotogenic meds? Barely anyone ever has had a Serotonin Syndrome issue from what seen and read a lot of the meds threads since being here. In those I have seen potential Serotonin Syndrome issues it has been because of GP's making bad mistakes with meds in switching or adding on when they shouldn't and your GP, whilst not following the exact correct guideline, it's using a cautious similar strategy.

I believe you will be fine but I do understand how you feel. I struggled with side effects going on both my meds and it was scary.

Your GP will know about Serotonin Syndrome and will be monitoring you.

Thanks Terry, I will possibly take half of a 50mg tablet tomorrow, so scared of suffering even MORE side effects

That seems sensible.

With meds that work with your Serotonin, these abrupt or cross taper switches are supposed to ease the possibility of side effects because they reduce withdrawal by supporting each other.

Thanks Terry, will be panicking even as I take it

Julie

When I took sertraline I took half my 50mg tablet for the first week or so. After that I took the full amount. When I look back on it I wonder if I would have been alright if I'd stuck with only 25mg a day, but ultimately you've got to trust the doctors. Try ringing pharmicists for reassurance too, they know what they're talking about. ��

You are far from alone feeling like this about meds, Julie. Many of us have had difficult experiences so know how scary it can be to commit to it. You have support on here and there is a good load of support on the Sert board too.

Try not to panic when you take it. I know it's hard but if you believe it will make you feel bad then it probably will. I have not mastered this myself yet so am being a hypocrite, but heaps of people get great benefits from sertraline. I wonder why the doctor didn't give you it first as it's usually firstline treatment as opposed to Mirt.

Hope it's gone well

Hugs

Hi, so I took half of a 50mg tablet of Sertraline at 8pm last night, at 10pm I got into bed and went into a deep sleep for first time in weeks and was then woken up after midnight by my partner banging about turning the fan off (that I need for the Mirtazapine sweats) I was so upset and distressed and took off to the spare room but by then the damage was done.

Don't think I'll take another half of Sertraline today, this morning I was more shaky and felt incredible panic, and I ventured to the park with my son a couple of hours ago and felt so sick and dizzy I only managed to stay 15 minutes.. I think I am going to have to stick with the Mirtazapine for a few more weeks (just over 3 weeks on it now) so its back to the doctors for me on Monday.

Tearful now as I am so angry with my partner when he knows how desperately I need some sleep, and upset that my son has gone back to his dads again. Another awful long agonising weekend ahead. It's just relentless overwhelmingly awful to be me. I wish it would all just stop.

Was your partner sorry? Hopefully he'll be more considerate in future.

Really don't know what to say about the pills. Don't you have sleeping tablets as well? They should surely help.

I know I've mentioned it before but YouTube vids may help. I've selected one but I've not tried it myself.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv5t8NDczB0

Hang in there! I've achieved nothing again today, just been out and tried to do a simple thing, but can try it again in a little while.

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

Me again!

I've heard that in cases like yours they give out diazapine (Valium). That would work I'm sure, but doctors are probably reluctant to prescribe. But if you're sounding really really desperate they may consider it.

If you can't wait until Monday there's always A & E.

Good luck. Xxxxxx

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information