Thread: Scared to leave home

Scared to leave home

I get loads of panic attacks and I'm on meds but scared to leave home. How can I get over this? I was considering going private with some cbt or counselling to get quick help?

Re: Scared to leave home

Are you still going to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucinda07 View Post
    Are you still going to work?
    No I'm on the sick from work

If you can afford to go private then do so. It may help.
    Alternatively, perhaps your GF can support you to go outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucinda07 View Post
    If you can afford to go private then do so. It may help.
    Alternatively, perhaps your GF can support you to go outside.
    I'm on loads of meds and the docs are changing the dosage a lot so I feel reliant on the diazepam.

Any tips for recovering?

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

I get catastrophic panic attacks every day so the advice has been no private cbt until the meds work..

The advice is use relaxation it seems which is easier said than done

Sorry to hear you are feeling so unwell.
    Guess you'll have to bide your time until your body gets used to the new meds.
    Cant suggest anything except relaxation CDs, exercise (dancing in your lounge!), meditation, HOT baths, distraction - doing something you enjoy. Perhaps a back massage from your GF.
    Hope something brings relief.

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I'm on loads of meds and the docs are changing the dosage a lot so I feel reliant on the diazepam.

Any tips for recovering?

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

I get catastrophic panic attacks every day so the advice has been no private cbt until the meds work..

The advice is use relaxation it seems which is easier said than done
    Few ideas spring to mind

1. Music : My personal preferences are bands like Mastodon, Pink Floyd, Enter Shikari, Woods of Ypres, Gojira etc.

2. Reading: If you have the patience go for it you will be surprised how it can take your mind off the day to day stress you may be feeling.

3. ASMR: Now this is a bit of a controversial suggestion but personally watching ASMR videos on YouTube does tend to relax me have a look for yourself my personal recommendation is Ephemeral Rift.

4. Taper/Stop taking medication: Yes you heared correctly!!! the majority of times when people complain about there conditions worsening normally it is because of prescription pills (in your case strong Benzodiazepines) being administered, mainly due to doctors trying to get you out the door as quick as possible. The problem with this is that medical conditions obviously differ when it comes to severity of said illness. The longer you get used to the course the more worse the side effects. Try and taper if you can't quit. Definitely look into alternative medicine. NOT that I am promoting Cannabis or Mushrooms in any way

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    I get loads of panic attacks and I'm on meds but scared to leave home. How can I get over this? I was considering going private with some cbt or counselling to get quick help?
    Can you try going for short walks around the block? When i was going through a really severe depressive/anxiety ridden episode, i forced myself to go on short 5 minute walks around the block. After doing this for a while, i became less and less afraid of leaving my house.

Hi phil sorry your haven bad time ,,,nice to see you still come here

Thread Information