Thread: Carotid IMT ultrasound

Carotid IMT ultrasound

I am having this test for my peace of mind, however I'm convinced it will come back showing a major blockage. I recently found out my cholesterol is high and put on Lipitor. Overall cholesterol 233, HDL 46, LDL 163, triglycerides 119. Anyway, I'm 40 and I just am convinced I will have a heart attack and not see my kids grow up. I am a wreck everyday, not feeling well, shaky, lightheaded. I will also get a quick sharp type pain in my chest sometimes, or in my leg, arm, etc. Cardiologist says it's just anxiety but what if its a sign of something to come. I can't get the fear out of mind that something will happen. Now I'm terrified of this ultrasound I'm having for fear it will show something bad. I'm a mess! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Carotid IMT ultrasound

Okay, well let's sort of put things in perspective. You're 40 years old and while your overall cholesterol is 233 and LDL is 163, you have an HDL which some folks would fight to call their own and the ratio here is about 5. We ideally want to see 4 or less, but this entire picture would be considered mild dyslipidemia at best.

Additionally, gross dyslipidemia must be present for a period of years before it can create the constellation of factors necessary for atheroslcerosis to take place. Your test will come back fine and I'll be surprised if "major" blockage is evident at all, or even something mild.

So this is not a sign of things to come, but just a gentle reminder to eat healthy, maintain a healthy weight, exercise at least 20-30 minutes daily, take your Lipitor and smile. You're going to be just fine.

Your symptoms are very characteristic for anxiety and an increase in epinephrine due to stress factors can go a long way to make you feel ill, tremulous, light-headed and cause a number of musculoskeletal symptoms.

You're nowhere near the heart attack zone, so take a breath and realize that you've got your entire life to spend with those kids.

Thread Information