Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cbt massive waste of time AVOID!

cbt massive waste of time AVOID!

So here i am on a friday night, feeling super anxious and worrying about different things all week

from ``is my manager at work angry at me``

to ``a person said i look older than i am - shock horror, this is awful, its the end of the world``

these kind of stupid nagging thoughts are driving me crazy all day now, despite me having finished an entire cbt course

im actually worse off than before

i hate cbt all its done is cost me the four pounds or so bus pass i used every week for 3 months to go to the session

my anxiety, and ocd worrying (usually needless rubbish like ive said above, is almost at an all time high), i just dont know what to do :(

---------- Post added at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

Re: cbt massive waste of time AVOID!

I've had cbt amd it was rubbish. Therapists don't try to help you with your thought processes. I got told to try colouring books and I was freaking out and scared about being alive\existing.

Quote Originally Posted by CArl_34_m_UK View Post
    I've had cbt amd it was rubbish. Therapists don't try to help you with your thought processes. I got told to try colouring books and I was freaking out and scared about being alive\existing.

i know, kept asking me stupid questions such as ``so how do you think we can approach dealing with this``

when IF I KNEW THE ANSWERS I WOULDNT BE THERE!!

Im having CBT too.

This week my therapist wants me to hyperventilate on purpose for homework to induce a panic attack.

I think she's crazier than me!

Ive tried to tell her that I will not overcome my problems that Ive had for 9 years in 6 sessions.

People that dont suffer really do not know what its like.

x

While it's not for everyone, "you get out of it what you put into it" still applies as it does with anything we do in life. I hope you find some peace.

Positive thoughts

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:51 ----------

Ive tried to tell her that I will not overcome my problems that Ive had for 9 years in 6 sessions.
    'Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.'

Henry Ford

I used the techniques to help with some depression and "scanxiety". You have to work at it. It's not a quick fix nor can any therapist give you the "answers". It's about learning to change the way "you" think about things and it takes time, effort and practice. It's no different than practicing an instrument. You have to go over it time and time again before it becomes second nature. And if you stop, you stand to lose the progress you've made.

I understand you're not felt like you were helped but to say "AVOID" frankly is irresponsible and very negative message to send to others who may benefit.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I'm having CBT and it's fantastic. You have to put the work in otherwise you are just wasting your time and your therapists time too.

Hi
    I've been having CBT for the last couple of years and have not seen much improvement. It all makes perfect sense but I just don't seem to be able to apply it. I've heard it has been so helpful for others.
    It's such a struggle, meds don't seem to help me much either.
    I understand your frustration.

I think we all need to start looking at it from a different angle - IAPT CBT is NOT CBT in it's intended form and even the main association for psychologists in the UK made that criticism.

CBT can help BUT I believe there is a massive difference between CBT and IAPT CBT from my own experience, reading and talking to others who had much better CBT that made mine look like some self help sessions.

And no, 6 sessions will never address all but mildest of disorders. They can't deliver CBT in that short time frame and in fact, the Level 2 services are about 5 sessions. NICE have criteria for CBT and it's more than 6 sessions as a minimum if you read their various guidelines. IAPT ates supposed to work to those guidelines but I can't see that they are anymore.

I've had two sessions of cbt so far and in the second session my therapist asked me the same questions regarding my childhood as she did in my first session, so it was just a repeat of the first session! I think she just didn't write my answers down the previous season.
    Also, I said to her that I think I need to be in a pysch ward and all she said was "hmm" !

Quote Originally Posted by Jenijar View Post
    I've had two sessions of cbt so far and in the second session my therapist asked me the same questions regarding my childhood as she did in my first session, so it was just a repeat of the first session! I think she just didn't write my answers down the previous season.
    Also, I said to her that I think I need to be in a pysch ward and all she said was "hmm" !
    The first few of mine were more information gathering. They don't need to know much about childhood at all for CBT as it doesn't seek to address any of that, only have an understanding of what may have contributed to your thinking now. For instance, mine asked about any drug use, whether I had a happy upbringing and are there any mental health issues in family history...and that was about it. Literally 5 minutes of sessions 1.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information