Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: long term sore throat

Re: long term sore throat

I had a flu like virus over Christmas with an awful cough then laryngitis and since then, for nearly 5 months a sore throat. So pleased to find this thread.

I have a sore throat, mostly on the left, but it does move around. It can go for a few hours, but always returns and it never goes away for more than a few hours, when it's not sore it feels very dry so I'm drinking all the time. My neck aches and I feel like my glands are swollen, but I have no feelings of lumps or something stuck in my throat or mucous. Talking does make it worse, I feel really run down and tired too. Never smoked, in my 40s, don't drink and other than an underactive thyroid healthy otherwise.

First GP said I was run down and it would go by itself, I've tried everything from the health shop, gargling tea tree, propolis, taking manuka honey, Echinacea throat sprays, vitamins, immune boosters...nothing touches it. I was getting worried it was something serious and saw a different GP this week who said she can't see anything to worry about, but I needed to go to ent and have a camera look around, don't know how long that will take, but I will be glad of the peace of mind.

Reading everyones posts I was so hoping someone had found a magical solution before I got to the end, but see often there's no quick solution. I'm going to try omega 7 I think while I'm waiting for the hospital as it helps mucous membranes, it's my last try on the health supplements.

Thank you again for sharing your stories, not that I'd wish it on anybody, but it's good to know it's more common than you thought and no one's has been the dreaded c x

Finally it worked... thanks god i thought its throat cancer...

more then 10 ENTs and finally i was diagnosed with enlarges tonsillitus...
    the tonsills ssemed normal in size but a wise ent doubt that ur right tonsilitus is a bit larger so a surgery was carried out... i can feel you guys i was like in hell for 4 months...
    many times i thought about comming sucide...
    one thing you people may laugh on me because enlarged tonsillitus is easy to diagnosed but that was only diagnosed by 12th ENT others said you are okay just take rest and nothing worked i had my surgery 8 days ago now feeling quite ok...

it was hell hope you guys find a solution please never stop the fight possiblities are endless...
    i had no money and resourcess and as a poor guy i found a solution so u people can...

i came here just to tell you that i am 100% okayh now and plaining not to start smoking and drinking again as i reallized the worth of my health...

Sorry for bad english
    Love from pakistan

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Finally it worked... thanks god i thought its throat cancer...

more then 10 ENTs and finally i was diagnosed with enlarges tonsillitus...
    the tonsills ssemed normal in size but a wise ent doubt that ur right tonsilitus is a bit larger so a surgery was carried out... i can feel you guys i was like in hell for 4 months...
    many times i thought about comming sucide...
    one thing you people may laugh on me because enlarged tonsillitus is easy to diagnosed but that was only diagnosed by 12th ENT others said you are okay just take rest and nothing worked i had my surgery 8 days ago now feeling quite ok...

it was hell hope you guys find a solution please never stop the fight possiblities are endless...
    i had no money and resourcess and as a poor guy i found a solution so u people can...

i came here just to tell you that i am 100% okayh now and plaining not to start smoking and drinking again as i reallized the worth of my health...

Sorry for bad english
    Love from pakistan

You guys have any update? I'm having the same thing here. No fever, just sore throat, no difficulty swallowing but really rough feelings at nights.

Quote Originally Posted by JEFF_OZ View Post
    You guys have any update? I'm having the same thing here. No fever, just sore throat, no difficulty swallowing but really rough feelings at nights.
    No not yet had mine for over 2 years. But my doctor asked me if i wanted to go for a camera down my throat but after watching some vids of it done i have decided not to have it done.

I think mine is from smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by cornishbumkin View Post
    No not yet had mine for over 2 years. But my doctor asked me if i wanted to go for a camera down my throat but after watching some vids of it done i have decided not to have it done.

I think mine is from smoking.
    Thanks for replying, cornishbumkin!
    Sorry to know that your condition is still there. I'd go for the exam if I were you, just to have peace of mind.
    I'm not a smoker but a few days before the sore throat, I did some brick drilling around the house and part of it I forgot to put on a mask and I think I inhaled a bit of that fine dirt. Not sure if it's just a coincidence.
    I don't have any fever or coughing.
    I have problem convincing my GP that the condition is more serious than normal sore throat. She kept telling me drink lots of fluid and VitaminC to build up my immune system to clear off the virus

I went to the hospital a few weeks ago, they were very thorough, I had an examination, he felt all inside my mouth , camera and ultrasound and was diagnosed with chronic tonsillitis, as someone else mentioned I also have very small tonsils so think that's why it wasn't diagnosed earlier. The consultant really put my mind at ease it wasn't anything serious. I was given a course of strong antibiotics in case it worked, but it didn't touch it.

Mine started in Dec and has improved since the end of summer, it's still there, but I mostly forget about it now, just looked now and it's still all inflamed, think I've just got used to it. I was told I could think about having my tonsils out, that and antacids are all they can offer. I know that's not an easy op in adults so not considering it right now.

Cornishbumpkin, the camera wasn't too bad, don't be put off, I was totally surprised they did it straight away, thought that'd be another visit so didn't have chance to worry about it, really it's a huge relief to know it's clear and worth having if offered.

Jeff_oz I don't know how long you've had it, my Dr initially after 3 weeks suffering just said it'll go eventually so I saw someone else after having it a few months who referred me straight away. I think it's going to depend how long you've had it. I wouldn't wait months like that again though. Best of luck x

Thanks for replying, cornishbumkin!
    Sorry to know that your condition is still there. I'd go for the exam if I were you, just to have peace of mind.
    I'm not a smoker but a few days before the sore throat, I did some brick drilling around the house and part of it I forgot to put on a mask and I think I inhaled a bit of that fine dirt. Not sure if it's just a coincidence.
    I don't have any fever or coughing.
    I have problem convincing my GP that the condition is more serious than normal sore throat. She kept telling me drink lots of fluid and VitaminC to build up my immune system to clear off the virus
    I know i should but i don't even go to the dentist because i really hate anyone messing around in my mouth, i know it sounds stupid but i can't help it.

---------- Post added at 01:55 ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 9bars View Post
    Cornishbumpkin, the camera wasn't too bad, don't be put off, I was totally surprised they did it straight away, thought that'd be another visit so didn't have chance to worry about it, really it's a huge relief to know it's clear and worth having if offered.
    I have had this for over 2 years now, and i also have huge tonsils and suffered with them for years so perhaps it's that.

They have sent me to reminders to go but i just can't do it i know it sounds stupid but it's just how i am.

PS all my family die of cancer and my sister died at 61 from throat and lung cancer :(

Thanks for replying guys! Really appreciate it.
    I've got mine for 5 weeks ... it really bothers me as I never had long term sore throat like this before. I'll clean my carpet next.
    Funny thing is, it not really the throat. I can swallow food, it's something near the end of the nose where nose meets throat.

Thanks for replying guys! Really appreciate it.
    I've got mine for 5 weeks ... it really bothers me as I never had long term sore throat like this before. I'll clean my carpet next.
    Funny thing is, it not really the throat. I can swallow food, it's something near the end of the nose where nose meets throat.
    What have you got in 5 weeks a camera ? if it please let us know what it was like.

I did some work on the weekends arnd ... then the week after I started to have a mild fever together with the sore throat. The fever was gone after 1 night. But the sore throat stuck there.
    It's rough raw tingly feeling at the end of the nose, they call it soft palate I think. I can swallow fluid and food without any pain. But when I breath, I feel it. I feel like there's a cut there.

After 1 week, arnd I went to GP, he gave me 20 pills of Amox, 3pills a day. No improvement after all pills.

Then, I went to a different GP ... she looked at my throat a gain and said "just take some rest and build up your immune system" ...

After 1 week, I came to her again ... she said the same thing, it's viral infection, it'd take some time to go away. but "unfortunately there's no medication" ... she told me to give it another 2 weeks and to take 1000mg VitaminC.

It seems to get worse at night when I drink some alcohol in the afternoon or evening.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information