Thread: Pregabalin for generalised anxiety disorder/ social anxiety

Pregabalin for generalised anxiety disorder/ social anxiety

It would be interesting to hear from others who have also tried pregabalin for generalised anxiety disorder. (I also suffer from social anxiety, to complicate things)

I started on 75mg x2 per day, on day 8 (yesterday), I bumped up to 225mg. When my psychiatrist gets back from holiday on Tuesday, will be increasing to 300mg (as per his advice).

I found the initial effects of these meds very pleasant and euphoric, on about day 4 I felt quite euphoric, but the euphoric effect somehow made me feel quite strange/ uncomfortable about interacting with people (more so than usual that is).

At about day 6/7 the euphoric effects passed and I just felt very flat, I could tell the effects of the meds had petered out, but this also made my mood feel quite flat, and then in turn lowered my mood, so after the first week I was keen to increase the dose as suggested.

Yesterday I increased to 225mg and I am feeling a bit better. Today (day 9) has probably been the best day for me, looking and feeling a lot better than the starting phase of these tablets, feeling a lot less weird about being around people and basic interacting. Mood has definitely lifted a bit since the increase yesterday.

(Not sure whether it is the pregabalin increase that's slightly lifted my mood or the fact that I've had 2 decent nights' sleep in a row from taking quetiapine? or may be both factors?).

I'm just thinking though, even when I increase to 300mg on Tuesday, its not that much of an increase from 225mg... maybe I'll feel a lot better after a week on 300mg, but I just feel like I need to be on a much higher dose to really knock out my anxiety, especially my social anxiety, because that is very high. Don't get me wrong I don't want to feel whacked out, but its definitely not working on my SA so far. At all.

Anyway, my main questions are the following:

1) -How long did it take before the spaced out, flat feeling completely went for you?

2) -How long did it take you to start seeing good results on this med?

3) -What is the maximum dose of pregabalin for generalised anxiety disorder? (Is there still scope to increase past 300mg?)

4) -Is anyone else here taking quetiapine for sleep with pregabalin?

Re: Pregabalin for generalised anxiety disorder/ social anxiety

Hi Kiwi, I can't answer your questions but wanted to ask you one.

Are you in New Zealand (given your name)? If you are how did you get pregbalin for anxiety. I asked my psych about it and she said it's not approved for use here which I was a bit disappointed about as people seem to benefit from it.

Take care

Hey Kiwi,

"1) -How long did it take before the spaced out, flat feeling completely went for you?"

A few days

"2) -How long did it take you to start seeing good results on this med?"

24 hrs - 150mg

"3) -What is the maximum dose of pregabalin for generalised anxiety disorder? (Is there still scope to increase past 300mg?)"

In the UK, I think the max dose is 600mg; I was in a bad way and found - and still find - that 225mg is fine -

"4) -Is anyone else here taking quetiapine for sleep with pregabalin?"

Don't know about Q I'm afraid. There is a lot of evidence is that if you get the right Preg dose, you will sleep like a baby; look at its wikipedia page around slow-wave sleep enhancement.

Albert

Hi Kiwi,

If you are on day eight or thereabouts, I would advise giving it some time to bed in, and expect some ups and downs along the way.

I've been on the maximum 600 mg per day for some time, but I think I am the exception at that dose. Since I am now quite stable, I'm looking to start a controlled decrease (as an experiment), but it has made such a big difference for me I'm in no hurry.

I personally couldn't keep my eyes open on your original dosage! I lasted maybe four weeks and had to stop!

wow sorry didn't realise I had replies lol! thanks for all your responses, it's been 3 weeks on this med for me now, starting to feel a lot more normal, I'm now on 300mg at night. had to sort myself out as my pdoc is crap! Thinking of bumping up to 600mg tomorrow. I'll keep you posted! I've seen lots of people quoting 4 wks to feel benefits so hopefully it's just a case of finding optimum dosage now.

Kiwi x

Quote Originally Posted by Arran7225 View Post
    I personally couldn't keep my eyes open on your original dosage! I lasted maybe four weeks and had to stop!
    Completely agree, it's funny how medication affects people so differently... I tried Lyrica but felt so bad I wanted to die, thing is I don't suffer from suicidal thoughts, never have but my Lyrica/Progablin ride was really awful
    Meds: Propranolol & Lorazepam

just bumped up to 600mg last night (taken all at once) feel so much better today. going to try again tonight and see how I feel tomorrow. If goes ok will ask them to do a new script for me

Kiwi x

Hi Kiwi,

Good luck with it. 600 mg is the maximum daily dose, so you may not need that much. I'm experimenting with a lower dose, but find what works best for you.
    Last edited by hanshan; 31-05-16 at 09:26.

Thread Information