Thread: 8.5 weeks... advice?

Question 8.5 weeks... advice?

Hi been on fluoxetine 8.5 weeks now(59 days), its been a very rough ride to say the least. I started on 20mg for a month then 40mg for a month... Should I not be feeling better by now? Or was upping the dose to 40mg like starting from scratch?

I read some posts it can take upto 12 weeks to kick in, is that true? Anyone have any advice, should I continue?

Has it taken anyone else longer than 8 weeks to notice a positive effect?

I get these feelings of unreality which i don't like, hope i start to feel more grounded soon..

Re: 8.5 weeks... advice?

My guess is that upping the dose to 40mg was like starting from scratch. Fluoxetine takes the longest of all the major antidepressants to get into your system. It may truly take up to 12 weeks from when you upped the dose to feel much better (although my guess is that you will start having some good days thrown into the mix).

I've been on Fluox for about 5 months now. I started at 20mg, went up to 30mg, then 40mg about a couple months ago. To be honest, I've been feeling the best just these last few weeks or so.

I HATE that unreality feeling, so I feel for you. All I can say is hang in there! I know it's rough but things should start to level off, and you should start having some better days thrown into the mix soon.

Take care!

Red face Re: 8.5 weeks... advice?

Thanks for your reply, helped me feel a bit better . So I really need to give it another 8 weeks. It's been like a roller coaster ride, always seems worse in the morning... Last week I cried a few days in the morning and I didnt know why...

Just felt so detatched and down. I'm sure prozac (fluoxetine) worked for me when I was 16... I had a nervous breakdown, panic attacks all the time. Fluoxetine was the first antidepressants I took. Can't remember how long it took to work....

I was on citalopram (celexa) until recently but it stopped working after 5 years.. So I thought I'd try fluoxetine again.

Fingers crossed I feel more positive soon, the detatched unreal feeling is the worst, my body doesn't feel like my own it's soo weird freaks me out.

Thanks for your input, anymore reassurance is appreciated
    Last edited by NervousA1; 15-05-16 at 20:05.

Re: 8.5 weeks... advice?

Hey Nervous,

Since Prozac worked for you when you were a teen, I will take an educated guess that it should work well for you again. I think just getting through the next few weeks is key.

Do you have diazapam or propranolol? I know those have helped a lot of people on here getting through the worst of the beginning side-effects.

I know that mornings can be HELL. I remember wondering how I would even make it though the day...and yes....lots of crying and feeling generally hopeless happened.

Try to find absolutely anything to distract you during the day. Personally, for whatever reason, true crime dramas/mysteries worked wonders for me. They really helped me to get out of my own head and gave me a break from the derealization/unreality feeling. I've read of others playing video games, or watching TV...whatever works for you.

Your goal is to just make it through the next few weeks. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Be kind to yourself. Take it day by day/minute by minute if you must.

Good luck and take care!

Thread Information