Thread: G.P. declined to do private referral

G.P. declined to do private referral

Hi all

just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of my situation or advice. I have asked my G.P. for a private referral to a cardiologist. I am due for an Echo test under the NHS but there is a long waiting time and I am anxious to get it done. I have lots of palpitaions and dizzyness plus some other worrying symptoms which I discussed with my G.P. He has refused to refer me privately stating that he doesn't think it necessary and that I can wait for the Echo under NHS.
    Can he refuse to refer me even if I am asking to go privately? I am due a telephone consultation with him very soon and would like to know how to handle the situation.

Thank you

Re: G.P. declined to do private referral

This explains minimum requirements, best practice and your rights, etc:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNH...referrals.aspx
    http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/892.aspx...CategoryID=158

Very interesting link Terry.
    I once asked to see a private cardiologist. My GP gave a referral straight away.
    I did ask a few questions, but I was no better off really. Wasted my money. Paid the consultants bill the same day. A few days later I had a bill for same someone not doing their job properly.

Hope you have some joy with your telephone conversation BEARBO

Thank you both for your replies. Just waiting to speak to the G.P. now.....heart racing again in anticipation! Hey ho! Will let you know what the outcome is!

Bearbo

Read my thread few down.

But you dont need a referall at all. It is a myth. You can call a private cardiologist anytime to be seen. More than likely you will speak to them or their receptionist and they will want you to come in for a consultation.

The only caveat to this is if you are going through private medical insurance.

One thing to also consider here is the fact your GP doesn't feel it's necessary for obviously a good reason. If indeed he thought you were at risk, you would have been referred to a cardiologist for an exam and test sooner. That's "CYA" medicine (cover your ass). Your doctor wouldn't risk a lawsuit by not covering the bases so he must be pretty confident in his assessment.

I would just wait for the echo and look into treating your anxiety as the symptoms you describe are pretty common.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 17-05-16 at 23:29.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Incorrect. The GP refused to refer the OP on the basis that they can have the same test on the NHS for FREE if they wait. The OP made that quite clear.

The GP may be quite conscious of the anxiety issue and how the OP will lose money here for something they are unsure is needed I.e. a routine "ruling out" waste of NHS money test potentially.

Thread Information