Thread: Hairdresser anxiety

Hairdresser anxiety

Hi,

I have a hair appointment for a cut and finish this evening and the thought of it is making me quite anxious. Its not a social anxiety issue where I don't want to make small talk with the hairdresser, or a worry that I wont like the cut, but a fear that once I'm there, in the chair with wet hair that's half cut, I can't leave. I'm really worried I'll have a panic attack whilst sitting there and wont be able to use any of my normal coping mechanisms (walking around, listening to music, even just stretching). Does anyone else have this fear, and have any suggestions for dealing with it? I really don't want to go, and am coming up with loads of reasons to try and rationalise cancelling (I need to go to the supermarket this evening, I might need to work late, I don't know what I want doing to my hair etc.) but I haven't had my hair cut for over a year and know that if I cancel this time, I will probably cancel any future appointments too.

Re: Hairdresser anxiety

Hi,

I know exactly how you feel. This has been a real issue for me in the past, and one I found very difficult to handle.

I now have my hair cut at home, purely because my salon hairdresser left to work as a mobile hairdresser, but every single time - before my appointment at the salon - I used to be very anxious, scared I was going to have a panic attack, not be able to escape, etc. There was no logic to it at all.....just anxiety doing it's thing.

Two things helped me prior to the appt. Firstly, try to repeat in your mind the reason you made the appt in the first place.....all the positives - 'it has been ages since I had my hair cut, and I am going to look and feel so much better afterwards' being the primary one. Secondly, something that helped me greatly was having a packet of chewy sweets - like wine gums or Gummi sweets - to munch on while there. For some weird reason, I find that the action of chewing distracted my mind from any creeping panic/anxiety. It also helps stop those quiet moments between chats, where you feel the anxiety rising. It sounds stupid, but it helps. A bottle of water to sip on is also a good idea.

Trust me when I say that the fear of doing this is far worse than the ACTUAL doing it. Once you are there, you will be so involved in what is happening, talking to your hairdresser (they LOVE to talk normally, lol) and watching what is going on in and around the salon, that your anxiety will not have a chance to creep in.

Don't cancel! You will regret it afterwards, and think how proud you will feel of yourself after you conquer this....and you will! xx

I know how you feel as I used to fear going to the hairdresser's as well because getting my hair done and having to sit in that chair made me feel trapped. I think the best way of going about things (this is what helped me) is reassuring yourself that you can always leave; i.e. get out of the chair by telling the hairdresser that you need to make an urgent phone call that you've just remembered, or that you need the toilet, or that you've got a leg cramp and need a minute to stretch your legs, etc. etc.
    Knowing that I've got an escape route helps relax me, and in turn, I end up not having to resort to any of those 'escape plan' options.

I had a bad experience at the hairdressers about 9 years ago my heart started racing and I was had this horrible hot feeling come over me my eyes went really funny, I managed to sit it out but it gave me a phobia of hairdressers for years. When I eventually plucked up courage to go again I would be in a right state before leaving, I even started saying to her don't wash it just dry cut so I wasn't in there long, and I was afraid of feeling funny after being bent over the sink, but I did it every 6 weeks, she has now gone mobile and comes to my house, but I still feel dizzy like I'm going to panic or faint whilst she cutting it.

Hi I have a fear going to the hairdresser's and the dentist for the same reason not being able to sit in the dreaded chair for fear of wanting to flea when you're not finished!!

The hairdresser when my hair is half cut or the dentist after he has drilled the hole but not filled it
    The feeling of being 'trapped' and logic that you can't flea until it's finished is so overwhelming .

I too get a home hairdresser, but even then had to be same problems even in my own home. Meds have helped, but now over time and getting more familiar with the hairdresser has lessened it.
    Trying to yourself with counting backwards from 100. Or pleasant chit chat.

Thread Information