Thread: Returning to work

Returning to work

Pre-warning: this post contains triggers.

So it's been a while since I posted and a lot has happened. I could do with some help and advice is possible. I am a nurse who works on a busy medical ward. The breakdown of my relationship (8 years with my fiance and my fault it ended) and the additional stresses of nurses leaving at work, being short staffed and feeling i am going to be given too much responsibility coordinating the ward finally took their toll. I was already on medication for anxiety and depression but ended up having another breakdown. I broke down at work, couldn't stop crying, shaking, a mess. (my relationship was ending and my support was going to dissapear) i was sent home and that night i overdosed on diazepam and alcohol.

I have had 2 months off work so far and im getting anxious about returning. It has become an even bigger issue as i was accused of stealing at work in the midst of this by one of the oncall management whilst i was an inpatient in hospital (which i didnt do) and i dont feel welcome back.

I have an occupational health appointment which im waiting for and im really worried about it, as well as a meetingw with HR and ward manager after this. Ive been thinking about reasonable adjustments to get me back in to work. I currently work 3 shifts of 12.5 hours and these are not on set days and some nights. Maybe set shifts would be a good idea as i work best on routine. Also i struggled with nights as i got very anxious and it disturbed my sleep pattern also. would these be reasonable adjustments to ask for? Im scared they will just say im no longer suitable for the job :(

Re: Returning to work

Hi ADW,

I say, ask for the adjustments in your schedule. You know your limits, and since you are still recovering it seems reasonable to me that your job should accommodate your request. Probably the worst case scenario is that they will just tell you "No".

I understand your anxiety about returning to work, especially after being accused of stealing. But I think you just have to go back and test the waters and see how things go down. And be aware that it's going to take some time for things to get back to "normal".

Well, good luck! Let us know how you get on!

Re: Returning to work

I have just completed a Phased return to work in February and I think any adjustments that you need are reasonable. I had a letter from my GP detailing what I might need and a 'Crisis' plan from my CPN and Myself that indicated how I might handle a 'spike' or 'relapse'.

It will take time for things to get back to as 'normal' as they can and its great that you feel ready to return.

My return took 3 months from 2 days a week to eventually back at full time

Thread Information