Thread: fear of "losing it" or having a "breakdown", etc

Unhappy fear of "losing it" or having a "breakdown", etc

hi all. I suffer from intense anxiety and nervousness. The thought of anything and everything makes me nervous and anxious. I currently taking Zoloft, and upped my dose a week ago, so I hope that kicks in soon. But I keep having this fear when i get nervous that I'm going to lose my mind, lose control, or have a breakdown. I don't know what happens when those things happen to people, but I have an intense fear of them happening to me. Has anyone else experienced this??? HELP!!! Advice would be appreciated!

Re: fear of "losing it" or having a "breakdown", etc

Hi there

This is very common. Have a quick read of the Symptoms page and nearer the bottom you will see more info about thoughts.

Try to remember that a breakdown is actually not that common - it just feels like we are going to have one.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Smile Re: fear of "losing it" or having a "breakdown", etc

Hi there upatnight!

Ooooh yes, I remember all too clearly feeling like this. It's like standing on the edge of a cliff leaning ever so slightly forward, (you know just enough to get that 'flippy' feeling in your stomach) and just waiting for the fear of the inevitable fall to become reality.

It's absolutely horrid and I really do feel for you. I thought the feeling would never end, and I must confess there were times when I just wanted to fall asleep and never wake up - BUT it did go, and I didn't have a nervous breakdown or lose my mind (hmm, some might contest that lol !) sorry, I don't mean to make light of your situation but I want to encourage you that this will get better and finally go. This feeling was with me for about four weeks while I was getting 'aclimatised' to being on Citalopram - and I'm sure this is the case with you. It's exhausting but just keep repeating to yourself over and over and over again "I am not losing control, I am not losing my mind, this is a temporary situation and I will come through it". You won't believe it at first but that doesn't matter so much as sayinmg it over and over again. One day you will believe it!

We are all here to help you through this, and I'm certainly not the only one who knows what this is like so I'm sure you'll have a lot more replies to your post!

PM me anytime if you so wish, but be encouraged - you are not alone

lotsa luv

GG

Hi upatnight

These thoughts are very common for anxiety sufferers but very few people actually have a 'breakdown'. These are thoughts not instructions. The more someone focuses on the fear the more intense the fear becomes. Stress causes us to focus on fears such as this.

Letting the thoughts go and distracting yourself with something else can help.

I've found hypnosis very helpful for anxiety and you might like to try the Fear of Going Crazy hypnosis download.

Karen

I went through the same thing really badly on Zoloft. Though I still have the feelings, theyre not as bad now that I stopped taking it. How long have you been on Zoloft? Maybe its time to talk to your doctor about taking something else...anxiety is the #1 side effect of zoloft. I know when I was taking it I was so afraid I would wake up in the psych ward and not remember anything that got me there, but I guess if we werent afraid of those feelings then we would have something wrong with us..Keep your head up, things will get better.

Thank you all for the encouragement!! I'm haveing a hard time being patient waiting on the Zoloft to give me some relief....and you guys are making it easier!!

Mom-I've been on Zoloft twice before and it worked for me, so i doubt it would be the meds making me feel that way....thanks for your input though....what meds to you currently take?

what is a good med to on? in new to this..

I have this symptom all the time. I always feel I’m going crazy how can I cope with this?

Thread Information