Thread: Unreality

Unreality

Hi everyone I can't even speak to my parents as it seems so unreal
    Please help and advice

Re: Unreality

Hi Ian,

I know that this feels scary, but hang in there. This is just anxiety doing it's worst, and creating depersonalization/derealisation. It is just the brain's way of trying to cushion itself from high anxiety, by removing you from it, which creates the unreal feelings and the feeling that family are unfamilar, etc.

Try to maintain as normal a routine as possible. Keep being around your parents, talking to them, keeping busy if you can. If you are able to lessen some of your anxiety, then the DP/DR should also lessen.

Bear in mind that you won't feel like this forever. If your anxiety can be managed then this horrible effect of it should get better. x

Thank you very much for the reply
    I no in just really scared and upset all the time at the moment
    I feel like I have gone fully insane
    I have just increased my venlafaxine to 150mg after being on 75mg for 3 weeks
    I just want to be better
    I have been a mess for over 4 months now
    Not been able to see anyone like friends or anything because it feels so strange
    I'm only a young lad and just want my life back :(

You haven't gone insane, Ian. The fact that you are able to see how anxious you are at the moment shows that you are by no means insane. Insane folk don't know they are insane as their minds are elsewhere completely, so don't worry about that.

It all makes some sense when you say you have increased meds recently. There is probably some side effects going on here, with heightened anxiety causing the DP.

This WILL get better. Hang in there and give it a bit more time. You will be able to get back seeing your friends once you are over this bad glitch, I am sure.

I, and many others here can relate to where you are now, and how you feel. It is awful, but you CAN get through it, I assure you. x

Hi thanks again for the reply it really does mean a lot and makes me feel better that some one has replied I am very grateful.
    I have had this now for a while and just hoping it goes soon as I am always thinking about suicide :(

No worries Ian.

The best way I found to handle DP, and get back to feeling more normal again was to keep doing what you would normally do when well. It sounds stupid and like it won't work, but when you do that, the brain has less time to focus on the weird feeling and the anxiety. Being occupied with ANYTHING - be it work, stuff at home like playing internet games, watching a good DVD, etc. - really helps divert the brain.

DP is purely a nasty trick of the anxious mind, nothing more. It is very frightening and intimidating, I know....but it should not and does not last long term.

At the moment you will be in the eye of the storm, having increased your meds. I am sure that will be having an impact on the DP and how long it remains around. This is entirely normal. When I started meds my DP was awful....I thought it would never go. I also had it again after I came off meds, and then had to restart them a few years later.....nightmare!

Please try to put thoughts of suicide aside Ian.....hang in there!! When anxiety is high it colours every thought we have as it is so intrusive, but please believe me when I say that you CAN get over this. I was really unwell with anxiety many years ago - waking up with nail marks in my hands from clenching in my sleep, longlasting DP/DR, feeling like I was looking at a stranger in the mirror....even seeing things and having bizarre thoughts....you name it, but I did get back to feeling just me again, and so can you!! x

Hi Manybthanks for the reply again. Also what happens to me is I don't feel in control of my movements. It feels like it's not my brain which tells my legs and arms to move about
    It's very weird :(

It's a scary thought. You can never escape your own perspective.

Thread Information