Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hit in Neck. Stroke Risk?

Hit in Neck. Stroke Risk?

Hi,

I was moving a couch today and it was big sharp wooden legs in it stands on. Anyways, the other mover flipped the couch over real quick and it hit the left side of my neck. Right where my artery is. It left a red swelled area but has now seemed to go down. It happened about an hour ago.

I have slight pain in the area but not much else so far. I looked this up online and found out the side of the neck is a terrible place to get hit. I am worried I tore an artery or something like that. The wooden legs the couch stood on are sharp too. It hit me pretty hard. When I do research online, I find stories of people dying from such type of injuries. I am scared im gonna have a stroke within the next few days to months. I read that is possible.

Re: Hit in Neck. Stroke Risk?

In my view the area is just a little inflamed - & it would feel sore! Its now subsiding.
    VERY INTENSE exercise may tear an artery, but it is not proven that this can contribute to a stroke. High blood pressure, bad diet, stress/overwork are the recognised causes. Check out the NHS website for stroke for factual information.
    The reports from your research are probably just anecdotal.
    If you are still worried, then visit the doctor & ask for advice.

We bang ourselves all the time. Never is it ever serious.

Let's put it this way... If we see an article in the Daily Mail about a guy who suffered a life ending stroke moving a sofa, we'll know it was you

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    We bang ourselves all the time. Never is it ever serious.

Let's put it this way... If we see an article in the Daily Mail about a guy who suffered a life ending stroke moving a sofa, we'll know it was you

Positive thoughts
    LOL!!!

"Man Bumps Neck While Moving Sofa, You Won't Believe the Tragic Turn of Events......"

You'll be f**kin clickbait gold haha

Thanks guys. This is one of the scarier things I have worried about. I have read so many death stories online. The neck is worse than the head. I am use to hitting my head and don't worry much about it. I even read the Chiropractors can cause strokes by manipulating neck. I read people getting hit by baseballs in neck etc dying. I also read 82% of people will have a stroke within 7 days. The other 18% within 5 months. So I gotta worry about this for 5 months. I don't know what im gonna do.

Never hurts to visit a doc just to be on the safe side, but my understanding is that the people that get these strokes sustain pretty intense injuries. Think about how fast a baseball is flying after its hit or thrown. I don't think you should be concerned unless there's w great deal of swelling or bruising and a great deal of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by worriednow22 View Post
    I gotta worry about this for 5 months. I don't know what im gonna do.
    That's totally on you! Personally, I don't think you'll be the subject of a Daily Mail article but I'm not looking forward to 5 months of posts on the subject

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholebear View Post
    Never hurts to visit a doc just to be on the safe side, but my understanding is that the people that get these strokes sustain pretty intense injuries. Think about how fast a baseball is flying after its hit or thrown. I don't think you should be concerned unless there's w great deal of swelling or bruising and a great deal of pain.
    Thats what I thought until I read an article from some doctor. Here is a quote from it:

"Earlier this week, a teenage Russian hockey player died from a carotid artery dissection after he was hit in the neck with a puck traveling more than 100 miles per hour.

The condition occurs because of some form of trauma — but it doesn’t need to be major trauma. Jaff has seen young patients who suffered a carotid artery dissection from having their head tilted back in a hair salon sink for too long or during a dental procedure. “The most common one we hear about is chiropractic manipulation, but there have been reports of it happening after a bad sneezing or coughing attack, or from a roller coaster ride,” he says. “It’s crazy.”

source: https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/katie-m...171128953.html

~lol~ sorry... a puck traveling at 100mph and a sofa leg are two totally different things. Sorry, but IMO, this is a totally irrational fear.

Positive thoughts

Being hit in the neck with GREAT force (with a baseball bat) would be painful! But this has NOT happened to you. Those statistics are irrelevant to you. (How accurate are they any way)
    Don't rely on the internet. It only feeds the dragon and does not help. The result is more improbable scenarios to worry about!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information